E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Night and Day Difference

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Dec 17 2004, 08:53 PM
[quote name='pennetta' date='Dec 17 2004, 03:27 PM']I would like to know from those that switched to non-RFT, is the incidence of bent/cracked rims higher? I am running 18" rims so I'm guessing BMW installed runflats, with the stiffer sidewall, to absorb road impacts.
I would of thought stiffer sidewalls would increase the chance of rim damage? (A softer wall would cushion the 'blow')
[snapback]70018[/snapback]
[/quote]

I also believe that RFT is likely to improve "pothole performance".

With a softer sidewall, when you hit a pothole the sdiewall will deflect much easier. And therefore it's easier to get rim-hole contact. I'm hoping that with RFT you'd mostly take the impact in the flex of the sidewall.

I'm happy with the somewhat harsh ride of the RFT tyres. I don't notice the noise. What I do notice is the lack of glued-to-the-road feel that I expected from 245 tyres. Not sure if the tyres are harder than what I'm used to or not. But the grip is terrible.

Currently got GY NCT 5. Never had GY tyres before. Others have also mentioned that they might be harder in the cold, than normal tyres. Will wait and see, but I'm having to be very careful about how I drive. Had the rear tyres slide once already, and I have no confidence in them at all.

The E60 can have non-RFT. But the new 1er ahs been designed without space for a spare, so there's no choice. I also believe that every new car design, for prestige brands at least, will be designed with no space for a spare. RFT is here to stay. Just not sure if that's a good thing or not yet.

Anyone got the NCT tyres. Are they crap?
Old 12-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

To date, I still dunno how/why people are complaining that RFT rides hard/noisy.

I can tell you that the E39 M5 rides much firmer (some may call it hard, but that is that the word I would chose to describe the ride).

But then again....I 've heard the same complaint from E39 5ers. That is to say that the Dunlop/Michelin is noisy as hell. 3 yrs now.... no clue of what that is about . I think I will stick w/ the OEM set up on my E60.

beewang
Old 12-17-2004, 06:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 17 2004, 09:31 AM
[quote name='pennetta' date='Dec 17 2004, 08:27 AM']I would like to know from those that switched to non-RFT, is the incidence of bent/cracked rims higher? I am running 18" rims so I'm guessing BMW installed runflats, with the stiffer sidewall, to absorb road impacts.
[snapback]69953[/snapback]

So which are quieter, The GoodYears or the the Michelins? Wolverine, why did you choose Goodyear.
[snapback]69955[/snapback]
[/quote]

The Goodyears are much, much quieter than my current Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. I chose the Goodyears because of the reviews on Tirerack. They are the top rated Maximum Performance tire, and they are especially highly rated in wet and dry traction, noise, and comfort.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Dec 17 2004, 09:33 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Dec 17 2004, 09:31 AM'][quote name='pennetta' date='Dec 17 2004, 08:27 AM']I would like to know from those that switched to non-RFT, is the incidence of bent/cracked rims higher? I am running 18" rims so I'm guessing BMW installed runflats, with the stiffer sidewall, to absorb road impacts.
[snapback]69953[/snapback]

So which are quieter, The GoodYears or the the Michelins? Wolverine, why did you choose Goodyear.
[snapback]69955[/snapback]
[/quote]

The Goodyears are much, much quieter than my current Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. I chose the Goodyears because of the reviews on Tirerack. They are the top rated Maximum Performance tire, and they are especially highly rated in wet and dry traction, noise, and comfort.
[snapback]70155[/snapback]
[/quote]

The Goodyears are fantastic! I had them on my 540 and I can't wait till 10,000 miles to dump the RFTs. I just need to feel like I at least got some value from them before replacement, and I figure 10K's enough.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:50 PM
Senior Members

My RFT's saved me due to a 3" drywall screw that penetrated my right rear tire. I was able to keep driving for a couple of days until I could get it to the dealer to be replaced. The dealer charged about $385 for the tire and $75 for mount/balance. Fortunately my tire insurance sent me a check for $398. It also included a totaly scratched rim that had to be repainted at no charge. I guess the tires are hard to work with due to the stiff sidewall.

I like the RFT's because my wife mostly drives the car.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:57 AM
Members

I am sure there are some advantages to RFT, but perhaps due to different road conditions in diff places on this planet, at least the RFT make little sense for me. They were noisy, very rough ride (rough is not the same as 'firm'...the ride is still as firm as before, but less rough now)(this is to address one of the posts above).
my gf got into the car and for once, she noticed something different without me asking her 'hey you notice this or that'...she noticed it right away.
i was gonna wait until the RFT get used up first before switching, but I am so glad I made the jump. It's like a new car for christmas.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by wslam' date='Dec 19 2004, 12:57 PM
i was gonna wait until the RFT get used up first before switching, but I am so glad I made the jump. It's like a new car for christmas.
I want one too

My car celebrated its first birthday with a good clean today!
Old 12-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Dec 19 2004, 10:58 PM
[quote name='wslam' date='Dec 19 2004, 12:57 PM']i was gonna wait until the RFT get used up first before switching, but I am so glad I made the jump. It's like a new car for christmas.
I want one too

My car celebrated its first birthday with a good clean today!
[/quote]
This was me BTW!!!!