E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Next headlight mod!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed this dimming process on my LCI's while it was passing through its coding steps. At first they were super bright when by themselves but the moment the low beams and eyebrows turned on they dimmed quite a bit. They looked "right" that way and didn't compete with the headlights.

If I had my fins fixed this way I would want them to dim with the headlights as well. Ironically this is my only concern about the lighted fins. I wouldn't want them too bright or "showy". I would want them to glow like the back light rods do but def no more than that. In fact, I prefer the lower level of glow the F10 brake lights have, probably because they're larger in diameter and less like spikes, compared to the E60.

We have so many BMW's where I live and I can picture myself constantly lowering my window to answer questions about them lol! The first day I drove with Simon's blacked out with frosted AE's I was asked 3 times about them!

Can't wait to see these 1) fully assembled and installed back on your car, and 2) during the daytime. GREAT job Simon and congrats!!
Old 08-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by EV4530
Simon, you light whore! This is amazing work man.
Hah, actually, I was just looking right now and was considering painting my shields on my projectors, but I think I am gonna pass since I can determine if I may be tired of it in the future.

Right now, I have a ton of disassembled parts all over my living room and kitchen, lol.

Originally Posted by 06530-6M
I noticed this dimming process on my LCI's while it was passing through its coding steps. At first they were super bright when by themselves but the moment the low beams and eyebrows turned on they dimmed quite a bit. They looked "right" that way and didn't compete with the headlights.

If I had my fins fixed this way I would want them to dim with the headlights as well. Ironically this is my only concern about the lighted fins. I wouldn't want them too bright or "showy". I would want them to glow like the back light rods do but def no more than that. In fact, I prefer the lower level of glow the F10 brake lights have, probably because they're larger in diameter and less like spikes, compared to the E60.

We have so many BMW's where I live and I can picture myself constantly lowering my window to answer questions about them lol! The first day I drove with Simon's blacked out with frosted AE's I was asked 3 times about them!

Can't wait to see these 1) fully assembled and installed back on your car, and 2) during the daytime. GREAT job Simon and congrats!!
It definitely is more of a personal opinion thing. Local installs, I have never had anyone want to retain the dimming after installing Orions, so I haven't had to deal with that very much.

Now, if people do want to dim the fins, it would be possible, but I would have to install a PWM controller or other parts to make it possible -- since the default (dimmed) voltage is not going to light it up right at all.

The only possible issue is that since I am not doing it to mine, unless someone locally comes to me to do this and wants to do dimming, I can't exactly test this out properly for people that are shipping their headlights from out of town. The reason is because my wiring for my headlights are actually rather unique and does not exactly fall under LCI halogen or LCI xenon, lol, so I can't just plug someone else's headlights onto my car.

In any case, my current aim is to put the headlights back together tomorrow, and possibly seal if there's adequate time.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Contributors

Simon, if you were unable to test the dimming process that changes when the headlights are turned on, what about a lower light level that remains constant? The amount of glow I'd personally be after would be like the red glowing bars of the newest 5 and 7 series brake lights. I realize that a lot of folks want everything super bright but I prefer a more subtle OEM-type amount of light.

Because you were able to figure out how to mount the lights behind the clear plastic branches instead of in front, it seems like the perfect opportunity for more of an "accent glow" vs another source of light that competes with the beauty of the AE's. Whaddayathink? Possible?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Contributors

Ehh... I suppose it's possible. I have to think about it the best way to do that though, especially with cars I won't have physical access to, because it means I am limited to working with the wiring inside the headlights, so I can't draw power from somewhere else and directly limit the voltage.

Just wait for pics tomorrow. I really don't think there's any competition for attention with this setup. Just hold for the next 20 hours, lol.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Contributors

Has it been 20 hours yet??

Can't wait to see your progress!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Contributors

Yes, lol. Texts are going out now for the people that have been inquiring!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Simon, I wants Great Job Bro, Mike forward me the pics. IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nelson29
Simon, I wants Great Job Bro, Mike forward me the pics. IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!!
Haha, I'm happy too!

I had a moment earlier when I was reinstalling my headlights.

I couldn't open my hood. Note to self, never close the hood without the weather guard in place to prevent the hooks from sitting all the way down. It is probably due to me removing the spring and also aftermarket hood. I spent maybe half an hour, maybe more trying to get it open, even called Jasper for ideas, lol.

Anyway, I will be uploading pics tonight.

Stay tuned folks.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 modded the F out

Great work as always Simon. Im trying really hard not to shop around for LCI heads, but following this makes me want them so bad.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Contributors

Haha, yah. This turned out better than expected!

This is a pic some of you have already seen, but here it is in full res!

More pics will come after dinner.

Name:  tU1kP.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  613.1 KB

Quick Reply: Next headlight mod!