E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Newbie Mtec rep question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About to pull the trigger on the Mtec rep front and side skirts, would like to find out if there is a front lip splitter for the rep kit? I searched and the only thing I found was there was "no front splitter for the rep kit available" in one of the thread from Trinity Autosport regarding their rep kit but I'm hoping that the market has changed by now. It just seems like without the front lip, the front bumper is missing something.

Also, I'm about to do the M5 white LED cluster and need to confirm with the pros here about unplugging the battery prior to removing the cluster. Usually which terminal do you guys pull out, the positive, negative or both. Also, will I get any error code once I plug it back it. I'm a bit concerned that when I plug it back it, it might trigger the airbag error code or in some case, deploy the airbag. Just want to find out if it ever happens to anyone here.

Thank you in advance guys...

Love this forum.

RCT
Old 06-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
About to pull the trigger on the Mtec rep front and side skirts, would like to find out if there is a front lip splitter for the rep kit? I searched and the only thing I found was there was "no front splitter for the rep kit available" in one of the thread from Trinity Autosport regarding their rep kit but I'm hoping that the market has changed by now. It just seems like without the front lip, the front bumper is missing something.

Also, I'm about to do the M5 white LED cluster and need to confirm with the pros here about unplugging the battery prior to removing the cluster. Usually which terminal do you guys pull out, the positive, negative or both. Also, will I get any error code once I plug it back it. I'm a bit concerned that when I plug it back it, it might trigger the airbag error code or in some case, deploy the airbag. Just want to find out if it ever happens to anyone here.

Love this forum.

RCT

Trinity is getting a splitter soon, I am getting one as soon as they are available . They are the the best, contact Joe (trinityautosport) or Nerwyll (Nerweezy) and they will take care of you. I agree, the front bumper is missing something, but no worries, if you let them know you want one they will get you one.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Trinity is getting a splitter soon, I am getting one as soon as they are available . They are the the best, contact Joe (trinityautosport) or Nerwyll (Nerweezy) and they will take care of you. I agree, the front bumper is missing something, but no worries, if you let them know you want one they will get you one.
Thanks for the quick reply Pjinca. I got a price quote from Trinity. I'm trying to work out a schedule where I can make a trip down to SoCal to get it installed.

RCT
Old 06-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I've never done the cluster mod without unplugging the battery, so I can't really comment on what will happen if you don't unplug it.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
I've never done the cluster mod without unplugging the battery, so I can't really comment on what will happen if you don't unplug it.

so when you unplugged the battery, do you unplug both terminals or just either the positive or negative. Also any kind of specific stickers should I use for the color variation on the tach? Don't want to get the wrong kind and have it come lose later on.

Thanks

RCT
Old 06-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

With regard's to the battery just unplug the negative terminal.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by rctmthouse

Love this forum.

RCT
Unplugging the peripheral devices (cluster, CCC, M-ASK, i-Drive monitor, i-Drive knob, window switches) will not give errors. I've done this about four dozen times on E60's. What will give you errors are saftey parts (air bags, seat sensor, lights) etc....

You do not need to disconnect the battery. It's a good habit though if you're not familiar with what is a safety feature or not. I even drove an E60 for 2 miles from an auction with no cluster at all!