E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='729157' date='Nov 23 2008, 12:05 PM
have you considered therapy
Good idea!

I'm waiting for specs on the Neez as I'm unsure of his offsets, etc. Hoping they will fit so I can even consider them. Until that point, when I consider Neez, I'm talking about new ones which at this point and time will run me about 5 grand..Same as the HRE. Where I'm looking at 2k ish for wheels and tires when looking at VMR's (and general UHP's)
Old 11-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

nice wheels, Alex!! Congrats!
Old 11-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by Fugs' post='729132' date='Nov 23 2008, 02:30 PM
If I had heard bad things about the VMR's, easy decision. Only thing is everybody raves about them which makes me think about them even more.
You wanna know something bad about the CSL's? Although I recommend them to people, they are not OEM quality rims, so don't expect them to be. The main reasons:

1) They are painted, and the paint can & will flake off, even with the lightest impact with any sort of tool, like a lug wrench or wheel balancing machine, wheel/tire assembler, etc. I had a few flakes come off mine on all 4, mainly around the outer edges near the tire, the hub area and the lug area....I even had to send one back to VMR for replacment, under warranty. If memory serves, the weight of the front 19" wheel & tire was over 60 lbs.

2) The actual surface of the wheel itself (under the paint) does contain some blemishes and flaws here and there. The metal is NOT perfectly smooth or uniform in all areas, and there might be some 'defect' here and there in the metal, small pock-marks, etc. Some parts of the wheel will feel smooth, other a bit more bumpy.

No one will notice this or see it but you, but compared to OEM, there is NO comparison. OEM are powder-coated (much more durable), and the metal surfaces are perfectly smooth and uniform.

In the end, you get what you pay for, but with the VMR CSL's, you get a perfectly fitting hub, the 5 smaller holes for the Hunter balancing prongs, and you get a great looking rim for cheap. I say get them powdercoated if you want to do it right!! If I had to do it over, I'd def. would have done had them pc'd.

BTW, for comparison, I am in the process of installing my Sport Edition A7 rims for the winter. These are painted as well, but the quality of the wheel and paint job is SO much better than the VMR CSL's. They even look & feel powder-coated. And the metal surface is smooth and perfect. And these wheels only cost $500 for all 4. They just don't look as cool. So, FYI.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Very nice pics! Thank you for being so patient with me. I know it took a little while, but I'm glad it turned out good.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='729191' date='Nov 23 2008, 03:51 PM
You wanna know something bad about the CSL's? Although I recommend them to people, they are not OEM quality rims, so don't expect them to be. The main reasons:

1) They are painted, and the paint can & will flake off, even with the lightest impact with any sort of tool, like a lug wrench or wheel balancing machine, wheel/tire assembler, etc. I had a few flakes come off mine on all 4, mainly around the outer edges near the tire, the hub area and the lug area....I even had to send one back to VMR for replacment, under warranty. If memory serves, the weight of the front 19" wheel & tire was over 60 lbs.

2) The actual surface of the wheel itself (under the paint) does contain some blemishes and flaws here and there. The metal is NOT perfectly smooth or uniform in all areas, and there might be some 'defect' here and there in the metal, small pock-marks, etc. Some parts of the wheel will feel smooth, other a bit more bumpy.

No one will notice this or see it but you, but compared to OEM, there is NO comparison. OEM are powder-coated (much more durable), and the metal surfaces are perfectly smooth and uniform.

In the end, you get what you pay for, but with the VMR CSL's, you get a perfectly fitting hub, the 5 smaller holes for the Hunter balancing prongs, and you get a great looking rim for cheap. I say get them powdercoated if you want to do it right!! If I had to do it over, I'd def. would have done had them pc'd.

BTW, for comparison, I am in the process of installing my Sport Edition A7 rims for the winter. These are painted as well, but the quality of the wheel and paint job is SO much better than the VMR CSL's. They even look & feel powder-coated. And the metal surface is smooth and perfect. And these wheels only cost $500 for all 4. They just don't look as cool. So, FYI.
Yup

Good right up...

I have also found the non forged BBS , like the CH's, to be very high quality with a nice, smooth and durable finish...
Old 11-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Contributors

Here's another shot:

Old 11-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

Originally Posted by C5driver' post='729552' date='Nov 23 2008, 09:07 PM
Here's another shot:

You ride looks hot, Alex! Great pic!
Old 11-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='729191' date='Nov 23 2008, 12:51 PM
You wanna know something bad about the CSL's? Although I recommend them to people, they are not OEM quality rims, so don't expect them to be.
Like I said in another post...these are only wheels. If you don't like them after a year or two, for whatever reason, change them. The problem is when you see them as a permanent fixture on your car. Well, they're not.

Anyone who mistakes these for $3.5K BBS RS-GTs are idiots. VMR is VMR, not BBS, HREs, etc.... This is a work car, not a friggin work of art car.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by leggomysakyo' post='729554' date='Nov 23 2008, 09:11 PM
You ride looks hot, Alex! Great pic!
Thanks! No spoilers, quad exhaust, canards, M5 mirrors, splitters, or neons here. This is transportation, pure and simple
Old 11-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by C5driver' post='729560' date='Nov 23 2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks! No spoilers, quad exhaust, canards, M5 mirrors, splitters, or neons here. This is transportation, pure and simple
Looks great,