E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

It's all about deciding what the "theme" of your car is going to be and what the contrast of colors will be. Once you know that, your selection of wheels should be much easier. Alway remember that you can have wheels powdercoated just about any color, so that's always a plus. It should be more about the style (Spokes, Mesh, Rivets, Lip, Concave, Convex, etc..).
Old 11-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C5driver' post='729029' date='Nov 23 2008, 10:00 AM
Dinner/date with Saturday traffic means 1.5 hours to the shithole we so affectionally call Los Angeles
1.5 hours of traffic to go out to dinner!!!! On SATURDAY !!!!

I can get to downtown Boston in 30 minutes on a Saturday but there are plenty of decent places to eat withing 15 minutes of my house...
Old 11-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='729112' date='Nov 23 2008, 11:07 AM
It's all about deciding what the "theme" of your car is going to be and what the contrast of colors will be. Once you know that, your selection of wheels should be much easier. Alway remember that you can have wheels powdercoated just about any color, so that's always a plus. It should be more about the style (Spokes, Mesh, Rivets, Lip, Concave, Convex, etc..).
Theme - Check

Contrast - Check (None)

Color - Check (Black of course!)

Wheels Style - Check (CSL type wheels)

Now this is where I get hung up...

My stock 18" setup right now weighs in at about 62lbs. I obviously want to go up to 19's and lighter. Here are the options I like:

VMR V710 matte black about 50lbs on tires

HRE P40 monoblok about 3 lbs lighter per wheel.

Neez QD7 about the same as the HRE maybe another 1lb lighter..

Breyton Race (I've actually ruled these out as I don't want to use spacers for them and something I just don't like about them)

So.....

Is it really worth it to spend the extra 3-5k for the HRE or the Neez for the few lbs difference when I would all ready be shaving almost 12lbs per wheel at the tires moving up to 19's and to the VMR's? If so, why?

Is it really worth that much more for a 1 piece forged wheel over a cast wheel under fairly normal driving conditions? If so, why?

That's my dilemma. Could I afford to buy the more expensive wheels, yes. Do I want to throw that much extra money around for a few lbs and a stronger wheel, dunno...

If I had heard bad things about the VMR's, easy decision. Only thing is everybody raves about them which makes me think about them even more. I don't want to buy "cheap" wheels. Are VMR's "cheap" or are they a nice alternative to the really expensive forged wheels that I really won't be giving up much for (except cost)

That's what's been running around in my little brain for awhile and I just can't seem to pull the trigger on any of them atm...

Therefore; I hate wheels.....
Old 11-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i sport 6spd Sapphire Black/Tan

very nice!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

wheels have the most effect on the overall look of the car, but at the same time choosing them is the hardest.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I stole a bunch of peoples wheels, held them next to my car, decided what I wanted and threw out the ones I didn't like. Was that bad?
Old 11-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='729139' date='Nov 23 2008, 11:38 AM
wheels have the most effect on the overall look of the car, but at the same time choosing them is the hardest.
I feel like a high school girl picking out a prom dress.....

I've never really cared about a decision enough to be able to relate to the agonizing pain they must go through....
Old 11-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Fugs' post='729132' date='Nov 23 2008, 02:30 PM
Theme - Check

Contrast - Check (None)

Color - Check (Black of course!)

Wheels Style - Check (CSL type wheels)

Now this is where I get hung up...

My stock 18" setup right now weighs in at about 62lbs. I obviously want to go up to 19's and lighter. Here are the options I like:

VMR V710 matte black about 50lbs on tires

HRE P40 monoblok about 3 lbs lighter per wheel.

Neez QD7 about the same as the HRE maybe another 1lb lighter..

Breyton Race (I've actually ruled these out as I don't want to use spacers for them and something I just don't like about them)

So.....

Is it really worth it to spend the extra 3-5k for the HRE or the Neez for the few lbs difference when I would all ready be shaving almost 12lbs per wheel at the tires moving up to 19's and to the VMR's? If so, why?

Is it really worth that much more for a 1 piece forged wheel over a cast wheel under fairly normal driving conditions? If so, why?

That's my dilemma. Could I afford to buy the more expensive wheels, yes. Do I want to throw that much extra money around for a few lbs and a stronger wheel, dunno...

If I had heard bad things about the VMR's, easy decision. Only thing is everybody raves about them which makes me think about them even more. I don't want to buy "cheap" wheels. Are VMR's "cheap" or are they a nice alternative to the really expensive forged wheels that I really won't be giving up much for (except cost)

That's what's been running around in my little brain for awhile and I just can't seem to pull the trigger on any of them atm...

Therefore; I hate wheels.....

Been through all of it. Once I spent the money for the forged wheels I have not looked back... I had an E46 M3 and those guys research wheels to DEATH. I have read stuff about HRE that has not been flatering. Not bad wheels.. just some issues with their claims of what is a "forged" wheel.

The thing what finally made me feel better about spending the money for the forged wheels was their resale value. You can always sell a set of quality forged wheels. I don't think reps or VMR's have much resale value so in the long run the additional cost may be negligable. Lessons learned... BMW's are some of the best engineered cars in the world, that's why we drive them. Adding fewer mods that match that OEM level of quality and engineering gets you a better car in the end than lost of mods that may not match the quality of the car in the first place. Good wheels and tires are absolutley crucial to this principle.

One more thing, a good forged wheel will stay straight/true through years of pounding. A lessor quality wheel may be great only until you hit that first pothole. Slowly the ride of your car deteriorates over time as the wheels accrue miles...

Now buy the damn Neez wheels will ya (J/K )
Old 11-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Contributors

I agree with what people said about wheels setting off the look of the car most. However, the deciding on the type of wheel shouldn't be that tough.

1. Decide on the overall look...ie. spoke, mesh, hubcaps, no hubcaps, size, finish, etc....
2. Do some research on the forum and find a car that has the overall look you like.
3. Does it work FOR YOU?
4. Research manufacturers for quality, reputation, availablilty, pricing.
5. Buy them from a reputable dealer!!

Really, this isn't a permanent fix. If you have them on for sometime and you don't like it, sell them.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Fugs' post='729147' date='Nov 23 2008, 02:47 PM
I feel like a high school girl picking out a prom dress.....

I've never really cared about a decision enough to be able to relate to the agonizing pain they must go through....

have you considered therapy