E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New IPod\USB adapter

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am a new member and a new owner of a 2008 528i. I had a E39 (1997 528i) for many years, but it was time to let it go and get a new one.

I didn't get the IPod adapter, but now I am thinking of adding. The new one for 2008 has a cable for an IPod connection and a USB connection which is nice. My question is does anybody have this new adapter and if so have you tried this with MP3 devices specifically a Zune? My wife has an IPod and I have a Zune and it would be great to use this to at least provide power to my Zune.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 12-05-2007, 06:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm... never heard the "pod head" supports zune... I believe the modification cost for zune (in any) will cost more then you buy an ipod and sell your zune on ebay.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Have never tried but Rudy and others simply use a USB memory stick on the USB port to play music, so the car is capable of playing MP3 files from that port. Just don't recall anyone mentioning a Zune in detail. As I recall from Rudy's and other postings, you can scroll through the MP3 list on the iDrive screen just like you can an iPod, even selecting Random Play.... Bottom line, as long as the Zune has a cable for the USB connection, which I'm sure it does, I think it should work but cannot absolutely confirm.

Edit: This applies to MP3s only, not familiar with the Zune. If it uses a proprietary file format, that will likely be an issue...
Old 12-05-2007, 08:13 AM
AMP
Members

Originally Posted by Todd in AZ' post='502581' date='Dec 4 2007, 12:58 PM
I didn't get the IPod adapter, but now I am thinking of adding. The new one for 2008 has a cable for an IPod connection and a USB connection which is nice. My question is does anybody have this new adapter and if so have you tried this with MP3 devices specifically a Zune?
If you didn't get the 6FL (iPod/US option with your car then you are out of luck. That option cannot be added as an accessory. There is an iPod interface available as an accessory, but it is completely different than the factory option.

1) It replaces the CD changer.
2) It ONLY works with an iPod. There is no USB interface available with the aftermarket adapter and the connection is for iPod only.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by AMP' post='502979' date='Dec 5 2007, 11:13 AM
If you didn't get the 6FL (iPod/US option with your car then you are out of luck. That option cannot be added as an accessory. There is an iPod interface available as an accessory, but it is completely different than the factory option.

2) It ONLY works with an iPod. There is no USB interface available with the aftermarket adapter and the connection is for iPod only.
AMP is correct Todd. Perhaps I misread your post. Do have the car already and you're looking to add the iPod adaptor post factory? Or are you ordering a new car with the USB option?
Old 12-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 520iA Petrol
Todd, don't waste your time trying to figure out the AUX connections for multiple players. If you are comfortable using a zune, just go out and get an FM transmitter from Belkin. Plug it into the Zune and tune your radio to the frequency you set on the belkin device. You'll be able to use it as if it was connected to an AUX. The only downside is, the quality is not that great as compared to a real AUX connection. The upside however, it costs only 50$ (on amazon) as compared to the 400$ retrofit for the iPod connector.

Belkin Site: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=301311
Official Zune Site: http://www.zune.net/en-US/products/z/zunec...ck/details.page
Old 12-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='502980' date='Dec 5 2007, 10:15 AM
AMP is correct Todd. Perhaps I misread your post. Do have the car already and you're looking to add the iPod adaptor post factory? Or are you ordering a new car with the USB option?

Ah, shoot. I am looking to add the adaptor post factory and the key thing that I wanted is the USB connection, but it sounds like that is not possible now.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate it.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tas_t_budds' post='502993' date='Dec 5 2007, 10:28 AM
Todd, don't waste your time trying to figure out the AUX connections for multiple players. If you are comfortable using a zune, just go out and get an FM transmitter from Belkin. Plug it into the Zune and tune your radio to the frequency you set on the belkin device. You'll be able to use it as if it was connected to an AUX. The only downside is, the quality is not that great as compared to a real AUX connection. The upside however, it costs only 50$ (on amazon) as compared to the 400$ retrofit for the iPod connector.

Belkin Site: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=301311
Official Zune Site: http://www.zune.net/en-US/products/z/zunec...ck/details.page

OK, thanks for the info.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AMP' post='502979' date='Dec 5 2007, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the info. I thought that it could be added as an accessory. Do you know if there are any issues with adding the Sirius receiver as an accessory?

thanks,