E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Need advice on Tinting Windows

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by gwf545' date='Oct 5 2005, 10:35 PM
I've never looked into tinting and have often wondered what it costs.? What have you paid for a full tint?? Thanks.
[snapback]180267[/snapback]

$215

Old 10-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 7 2005, 10:52 PM
[quote name='Bimmer32' date='Oct 5 2005, 10:23 PM'][quote name='EuroCarFan' date='Oct 5 2005, 05:32 PM']I have 35% all around, except the front windshield.? I used Madico Charcool tint which also has a lifetime warranty.? The tint shop put a specific type of Madico non-metallized tint on my car cause I have Navigation.

It's funny that my brother, who also owns a MB, also thinks tint will cheapen my car.? I'm happy with it.? Here's a pic:

Attachment 11090
[snapback]180031[/snapback]
Perhaps most MB owners feel the same about the "cheap" thing with tinting. I guess most MB owners have garaged parkings, so they don't mind the sun.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to do some research with the information you provided, including the sunglasses thing. I wear eye glasses and the only thing available are those "clip ons." It's OK if I look like an old fart.
[snapback]180198[/snapback]
[/quote]Get some transitions. I have progressive/transitions. They are great.
[snapback]181169[/snapback]
[/quote]

Do they make progressive/transition windows? Probably but too expensive for practicality. If I can figure out a tint (some many choices and shades, I might just use my daughters "Winnie the Pooh" shades. I tried the sunglasses, but since the sun is directly on the side, I need those sunglass goggles.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Oct 10 2005, 10:10 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 7 2005, 10:52 PM'][quote name='Bimmer32' date='Oct 5 2005, 10:23 PM'][quote name='EuroCarFan' date='Oct 5 2005, 05:32 PM']I have 35% all around, except the front windshield.? I used Madico Charcool tint which also has a lifetime warranty.? The tint shop put a specific type of Madico non-metallized tint on my car cause I have Navigation.

It's funny that my brother, who also owns a MB, also thinks tint will cheapen my car.? I'm happy with it.? Here's a pic:

Attachment 11090
[snapback]180031[/snapback]
Perhaps most MB owners feel the same about the "cheap" thing with tinting. I guess most MB owners have garaged parkings, so they don't mind the sun.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to do some research with the information you provided, including the sunglasses thing. I wear eye glasses and the only thing available are those "clip ons." It's OK if I look like an old fart.
[snapback]180198[/snapback]
[/quote]Get some transitions. I have progressive/transitions. They are great.
[snapback]181169[/snapback]
[/quote]

Do they make progressive/transition windows? Probably but too expensive for practicality. If I can figure out a tint (some many choices and shades, I might just use my daughters "Winnie the Pooh" shades. I tried the sunglasses, but since the sun is directly on the side, I need those sunglass goggles.
[snapback]182490[/snapback]
[/quote]
How about a progressive/transition nose/eyes covering scuba mask? You'd draw more attention than your car. But, really, what about the shades that people put on their side windows--ugly, but effective?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 10 2005, 09:34 PM
How about a progressive/transition nose/eyes covering scuba mask? You'd draw more attention than your car.
[snapback]182510[/snapback]
LOL!

Definitely need to open up that sunroof to allow the snorkel to come through.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

We need those tints that go darker when its bright and turn light when its dark ahhahaha like sunglasses! and Turn light with a switch so when i see a cop LIGHT! hehehehe
Old 10-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Contributors

anyone knows if the the brand Sunguard or Johnson is the good brand?
Old 11-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Silver Grey 550i (est delivery 12/06) Auburn / Poplar Interior / Anthracite headliner M body aero kit/ sport/ sound/ comfort access/ comfort seats/ sunshade/ sat radio

Originally Posted by mlist84' post='182739' date='Oct 11 2005, 12:19 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. They have a lifetime warranty "no fault" meaning you can scratch it and get new tint free. The local shop is recommending it. The dealer uses Llumar and I think another shop in town uses formula one pinnacle. Anyone have any thoughts on these? The Drei tint looks a little silverishhe pics Ive seen...almost mirror like which is not what I want...I think it looks a little cheap that way. Does anyone have a recommendation among the Llumar, Pinnacle or Sunguard diamond?
arthur
Old 11-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by almd' post='199238
I'm wondering the same thing. They have a lifetime warranty "no fault" meaning you can scratch it and get new tint free. The local shop is recommending it. The dealer uses Llumar and I think another shop in town uses formula one pinnacle. Anyone have any thoughts on these? The Drei tint looks a little silverishhe pics Ive seen...almost mirror like which is not what I want...I think it looks a little cheap that way. Does anyone have a recommendation among the Llumar, Pinnacle or Sunguard diamond?
arthur
[/quote]The Drei is a little reflective, but it has excellent properties. Check out the Drei link in my sig.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Originally Posted by mikej' post='180580' date='Oct 6 2005, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I called Extreme tint yesterday and they said they were doing one that day, probably Merzbow's E60 and the did a couple the day before. I'm sure they really are wondering where these E60's are coming from. I think EuroCarFan should get a cut, hahaha. He's the one referring everyone to that place. I guess some of those guys are Filipino. I made an appointment for this Saturday. I wanted to try the Madico Onyx but don't wanna take the chance of installing a metallic tint. I'll stick with the Charcool since I haven't heard any complaints. The Onyx might be too dark anyways. It's not like I'm trying to hide from anyone.
Yup, also mine had done at Extreme Tint -- Great job and a couple of nice guys. Sounds like it's the E60 Forum Silicon Valley Chapter preferred place to get tint done. And yes, thanks to EuroCarFan for recommending this outfit. Here's a pic of my car with 50% tint all the way around. I figure that with the sunshades up the rear windows will *appear* darker and draw less attention to the front two windows being tinted.

Cheers.
-CoolTones
Need advice on Tinting Windows-trbmw_lftfrntqtr.jpg
Old 11-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Nice pic CoolTones! Your car is a beauty!!!

Quick Reply: Need advice on Tinting Windows