E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

My next project, oh boy this is gonna be a good one.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Sounds like a fun project to keep you occupied for a while!
Old 09-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
+1 good luck
Old 09-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW

Hmm even more intrigued now Blood, I have had a high AC panel now for ages, keep us updated with progress.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Once I have the parts needed from BMW and some cables from Maplins, it will be half a day at the most to actually do it. Still undecided if im gonna put the solar sensor in or not, the AUC sensor for the auto recycle will be the hardest and i may leave that out as im actually unsure where it is located, all i can find out is it its downwind of the air stream at the top of the fan cowl.

Ok figured out the AUC sensor, not that hard as it happens, will need plenty of cable though.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by BLooD
Once I have the parts needed from BMW and some cables from Maplins, it will be half a day at the most to actually do it. Still undecided if im gonna put the solar sensor in or not, the AUC sensor for the auto recycle will be the hardest and i may leave that out as im actually unsure where it is located, all i can find out is it its downwind of the air stream at the top of the fan cowl.

Ok figured out the AUC sensor, not that hard as it happens, will need plenty of cable though.

I have had the auto recycle button engaged in three different E60s over the last 2 years and it has never switched over on its own. I think one would have to be behind a pretty nasty truck for it to sense the air quality and switch over on its own. If I see a truck that bad I am switching it manually before I get close enough. It doesn't help for things like smoke form burning leaves either. Pretty useless overall and I wouldn't recommend you put any effort into it unless it is just something fun to include in your project.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Contributors

I have had the auto recycle button engaged in three different E60s over the last 2 years and it has never switched over on its own. I think one would have to be behind a pretty nasty truck for it to sense the air quality and switch over on its own. If I see a truck that bad I am switching it manually before I get close enough. It doesn't help for things like smoke form burning leaves either. Pretty useless overall and I wouldn't recommend you put any effort into it unless it is just something fun to include in your project.
Can you do me a favour then?, can you try and unplug it and see if the manual mode still works?, I may leave it out as routing the cables will be a serious pain in the ass.
Its a small sensor, top left of the fan cowl in the engine bay.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I didn't think it was meant to switch i.e. show visible switching, I thought it simply shut the vents automatically.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
I didn't think it was meant to switch i.e. show visible switching, I thought it simply shut the vents automatically.
Ahhh Bruce you found my thread.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Repost by mistake. mods, delete please.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

I agree, the auto recycle is pretty shit. I've only seen it switch over once. There have been many occasions where I've had to switch over manually. Useless. I guess it's just hard to sense bad air quality well...

Quick Reply: My next project, oh boy this is gonna be a good one.