E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

MOST iPod adapter

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Stock 2004 530i with most options. 18" M5 look alike wheels Bought August 2008 with 34k on it. 2006 Range Rover Sport with K&N filter and Borla cat back exhaust. Maybe a Defender soon or an old M3 to play with, although the wife has other ideas!

Hey everyone-

I am looking for some advice about the MOST iPod adapter that the dealer sells. I have bought one and was ready to do it myself, but the dealer claims they need to do it because of software updates, etc and I cant just plug it in and expect it to work. My car is a 04 530I and does not have NAV or a cd changer. I really dont care about controlling the iPod via the iDrive, I just want the ability to play it and am willing to manually toggle through the menus via the iPod itself.

I did look over some past posts but not exactly sure how it pertains to my situation. Anybody out there care to enlighten me?

Thanks

Scott
Old 08-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

If you don't need the idrive for ipod, only thing you need is an AUX adapter, where the audio signal is analog. You can install it by yourself, but the dealer is needed to program it too.

I don't think you can use an ipod adapter only to plug in your ipod's audio.
The signal is digital; the audio and the other information (album names, idrive browsing commands etc...) will operate there in the cable anyway. And you need a dealer again to program the feature.

If you already have the ipod adapter, install it (hardware) by yourself if you know how to, and then go to the dealer, or just let the dealer do the whole job.

edit: Welcome to the forums! You will get every answer you have concerning e60 here

edit2: I really can't tell for sure what features you need to have for ipod adapter. I have a 2004 model with MOST, and I had a 6cd changer in glove box when I got the dealer to install my ipod adapter. I'm sure other members will chime in on this.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Stock 2004 530i with most options. 18" M5 look alike wheels Bought August 2008 with 34k on it. 2006 Range Rover Sport with K&N filter and Borla cat back exhaust. Maybe a Defender soon or an old M3 to play with, although the wife has other ideas!

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='655532' date='Aug 27 2008, 01:31 PM
If you don't need the idrive for ipod, only thing you need is an AUX adapter, where the audio signal is analog. You can install it by yourself, but the dealer is needed to program it too.

I don't think you can use an ipod adapter only to plug in your ipod's audio.
The signal is digital; the audio and the other information (album names, idrive browsing commands etc...) will operate there in the cable anyway. And you need a dealer again to program the feature.

If you already have the ipod adapter, install it (hardware) by yourself if you know how to, and then go to the dealer, or just let the dealer do the whole job.

edit: Welcome to the forums! You will get every answer you have concerning e60 here

edit2: I really can't tell for sure what features you need to have for ipod adapter. I have a 2004 model with MOST, and I had a 6cd changer in glove box when I got the dealer to install my ipod adapter. I'm sure other members will chime in on this.
Thanks for the info. I am just going to let the dealer do the whole thing, that way there is no problem. I really hate screwing around with electronics that are as advanced as what is this caar.