E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Modding step #3 - The hardest one

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='364630' date='Dec 7 2006, 11:10 PM
Wow...I'm impressed!!

Can you find me a used and cheap M5 engine and come over to the States to do the transplant for me? hehehe

Good luck on your project!!

That BMW car/parts importer where I will install the engine has 3 M5 engines and some more M3 engines and much more 2.5 and 3.0 lt. engines on his store shelves.

He did a complete and absolutely amazing transformation from 530i to M5 and I've been there at the time he programmed it. He did also a very good and invisible replacement at the rear right below the trunk panel, where the m5 exhaust comes out, with an original M5 one. I'm very impressed with his "factory quality" work.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Gee Nicke,

You are going all the way

Overhere the car should need a new inspection, but I suppose that would not be a problem.

But the insurance fees would go up a bit, but no differances in taxes!

But anyway, please check with the authoritys before you do the engine change,
it just could save you a lot of trouble/money.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Contributors

This is a hardcore job that always admire
Old 12-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='364639' date='Dec 7 2006, 11:40 PM
Gee Nicke,

You are going all the way

Overhere the car should need a new inspection, but I suppose that would not be a problem.

But the insurance fees would go up a bit, but no differances in taxes!

But anyway, please check with the authoritys before you do the engine change,
it just could save you a lot of trouble/money.
Even if the authorities "catch me" during a check-up inspection with special electronic tools on the road (I don't know one that happend to him something like that before) then, I will pay 100 Euros penalty and I'll be free to ride my 3.0 l car until the next inspection ...and so on
Old 12-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525i Silver Gray/Gray Dakota Leather | Steptronic | Cold Weather | Xenon | Premium Package Modifications: M Aero Kit | Carbon Fiber Kidney Grill | K&N Air Filter | Charcoal Filter Removed | Radenergie R10 Silver 20" soon | kW coilover V3 | SprintBooster soon | M5 trunk finisher Next planned mods: ?Hamann quad exhaust + Hamann quad rear diffuser + Hamann Front Lip?

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='364609' date='Dec 7 2006, 11:57 AM
Is your engine 2.5 or 3.0 lt.?
I will start the mod on Jan-Feb ...along with the new year
Mine is 3.0Lt
End of this year, I'm doing the wheels and suspension
Old 12-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by my530i' post='364642' date='Dec 7 2006, 11:45 PM
This is a hardcore job that always admire
This for you Fred.

The most important think I learnt today is that: you can do almost any engine transformation you like if you have this set: keylock with key, Cas module and DME of the specific engine. It's almost invisible even from dealer to realize that something goes wrong - except when dealer is programming the car, given the VIN number, where programming machine will find that VIN is not in correspondence with the new engine.

DME is programmable as well, so, I can programm my 520i DME with a copy of a 530 DME like the procedure chip tuners use and they also have the ability to give a litle more fuel like on chip tuning, but, when back in the dealer for programming or CIP update, the DME is resetted to the car VIN number defaults (520i in my case)
Old 12-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

dam nick your beating me to the punch I was gonna do an E39 M5 swap or E60 M5 swap and S/C either.. well good luck man!.. btw I would go with Active Superchargers.. ESS is good but many people I know with E46's that are S/C'd say Active hands down!
Old 12-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hamann5' post='364674' date='Dec 8 2006, 12:37 AM
dam nick your beating me to the punch I was gonna do an E39 M5 swap or E60 M5 swap and S/C either.. well good luck man!.. btw I would go with Active Superchargers.. ESS is good but many people I know with E46's that are S/C'd say Active hands down!
I'm not sure which one yet, but I think I will have the time to find the one with the best reviews and results. I don't want to boost @ 8psi - 6 is a fair limit for such a "velvet feel" made engine like M54 is.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Contributors

How much did you get the engine for? Would it cost more to change the whole car completely?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='364823' date='Dec 8 2006, 06:20 AM
How much did you get the engine for? Would it cost more to change the whole car completely?
No it wouldn't, listen:

Price is 2K Eur. (1930 in exact) for engine complete with gearbox, exhaust manifold with cat and a/c compressor.
I will give the installer the gearbox (E60-520i and E46-330i is the same - generator differs, i will keep my current - flywheel and clutch differs, new engine has it) and other remaining parts as exchange for installation.

Edit: Brakes are the same front and rear, diff and shafts are different and I will think about it later, it's not a real problem for now.

The story is complicated.
Found the engine on ebay, then I went to the biggest BMW parts importer here in Athens, because I know him in person, asked him "what do you think about this engine?" and he told me "get it ASAP because I would charge you myself 3500 Eur. for engine only, without any peripherals and without installation"...
The conclusion is that he will go in person to check-up engine and papers, pay, and bring with his truck the engine next week along with his weekly imported parts from Germany in Greece, and in the case that all things go the right way, he will keep the remaining parts as exchange for transportation and installation.

I will aslo keep my current engine in place as spare engine in the future, or I will sell it, I don't know and I don't care now...

Wish me luck guys...

Nick

Quick Reply: Modding step #3 - The hardest one