E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Make HID kit for yourself

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by PoloDKNY22
the hid kit i ordered off ebay doesnt look crappy at all, they look pretty good actually. the ballasts are really slim too. they are made by TRUSS.. i know what u guys are saying about wanting shit to work, but even if a bulb goes out, i dont mind spending 15 bucks for another set of bulbs. its still cheaper than other kits out there. i really dont see these one burning out sooner than other kits, they dont flicker or just shut off at all. anyway, i havent had them long, ill let u guys know when my first bulb goes out!
I guess it's about priorities. Some people don't mind spending the time to swap them out or the transit days for replacement. Personally, I am too lazy, and just don't have patience for it to fail. I would rather spend a little bit more money, and not have to worry about expecting to fix it.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530i _2004_Space Grey

i paid $35.99 shipped for the 35w kit. they have the 55w kit for $49.99, but i just went with the 35w since it already came with the error cancellers wired in, plus it was cheaper. what is the difference between the two? mine are really bright, i cant imagine there being a difference in appearence. plus, i figured the 55w connecters would get hot and maybe damage sumthing.

how much do u sell them for.. do they last a decent amount of time (assuming theyre installed correctly)?

installation was pretty easy too.. the bracket is pretty flexible and is a thin flat piece of metal that extends out a few inches on one side. so i just mounted the ballast right behind the headlight, using the same hole n screw used to mount the headlight. therefore i didnt have to drill any holes or use the double-sided tape. it came out well.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530i _2004_Space Grey

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
I guess it's about priorities. Some people don't mind spending the time to swap them out or the transit days for replacement. Personally, I am too lazy, and just don't have patience for it to fail. I would rather spend a little bit more money, and not have to worry about expecting to fix it.
yea, i understand what you're saying. i wouldnt mind paying a little bit more if i was guaranteed that they wouldnt blow out prematurely. but ive realized that u can never be sure with these kits, even people who bought ones that cost over $150 have had issues. so if i'm gonna take the same chances, id rather have only a little bit of money invested in it. and i cant justify spending a few hundred dollars on other "high quality" kits like some other people have, that is just a rip-off. btw, im not saying that there isnt any cheap quality ones out there, i bet theres plenty, especially on ebay.. but there are good ones out there that dont cost a lot either, u just gotta shop around and ask the questions b4 u buy i guess.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PoloDKNY22
i paid $35.99 shipped for the 35w kit. they have the 55w kit for $49.99, but i just went with the 35w since it already came with the error cancellers wired in, plus it was cheaper. what is the difference between the two? mine are really bright, i cant imagine there being a difference in appearence. plus, i figured the 55w connecters would get hot and maybe damage sumthing.

how much do u sell them for.. do they last a decent amount of time (assuming theyre installed correctly)?

installation was pretty easy too.. the bracket is pretty flexible and is a thin flat piece of metal that extends out a few inches on one side. so i just mounted the ballast right behind the headlight, using the same hole n screw used to mount the headlight. therefore i didnt have to drill any holes or use the double-sided tape. it came out well.

I sell the 55W ballasts as upgrades for my kits for $35. The 35W is plenty bright. I had a kit on my old civic which worked perfectly for more than 4 years (then I sold the car). Never had any issues with it. I get a slightly higher DOA rate with them and about double the warranty claims than my companies kits. All in all, its a pretty decent kit for the price. I've been running the slim kit in my e60 fogs for almost 2 years with no issues.

You can go out and buy the nicer kits for $200-400 or buy a decent kit for <$50. You will get the same light output and maybe a little less life out of them but most people get rid of their cars before they go through 2-3 ballasts/bulbs. Just not worth it IMO (esp for fogs...)