E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Make HID kit for yourself

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:10 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anyone who is mechanically inclined, this installation is considered "do-it-yourself".
While a typical installation takes approximately an hour, it can vary depending on
application (conversion or auxiliary).
Our kits are ready to install right-out-of-the-box and come complete with everything that
you will need.
We also provide you a full set of easy-to-read, step-by-step instructions to guide you.

SO, Make a HID conversion kit for yourself that's means you should make sure which car type and which colour you fittable and needed.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:50 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530i _2004_Space Grey

i just ordered an 8000k kit off ebay, with built-in error cancellers, for $36 bucks shipped.. why would someone want to build one? also, i don't understand why people over-pay for these. who cares where u buy them or how slim their ballasts are, as long as they look good, last over 5000 hrs, and are priced right, nothing else matters!

...just saying
Old 06-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

That's probably the thing. There is no guarantee per se on how long they'll last, so that's possibly why some are willing to pay a little more for certain brand or vendors to get better quality and peace of mind.

Also, another thing is color temperature are not necessary the same from one vendor to the next. I have found that I like a particular 6000K from John at Motorcepts and not so much from a different vendor's 6000K.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Contributors

@polo, same here bro... I ordered mine for $28, and I got no error, you gotta look for the once that are digital, but its true these aren't that reliable, but they will replace em for free, within the 1yr warranty.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

from what I've read, even some of the HID kits the vendors here carry have been known to fail prematurely, but at least you have the CS with a known vendor here rather than going about it yourself...

but if you are technically savvy enough to put together your own kit, I'm pretty sure you're savvy enough to trouble shoot problems as well..
Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
but if you are technically savvy enough to put together your own kit, I'm pretty sure you're savvy enough to trouble shoot problems as well..
While true though, I would like to think that people just want shit to work instead of having to fix it every now and then. It's one thing to have the bulb go out after years of usage, but another if it's because of crappy construction.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
While true though, I would like to think that people just want shit to work instead of having to fix it every now and then. It's one thing to have the bulb go out after years of usage, but another if it's because of crappy construction.
very true, from the problems I've read and heard of, it's not the bulbs, it's the actual kits (ballasts/wires) that go out. So again, if you can DIY it correctly on your own, why not give it a shot. A lot of mods here were inspired by tech savvy individuals...some began with poor construction or lifespan, but through trial and error they've gotten it right....
Old 06-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Members

the hid kit i ordered off ebay doesnt look crappy at all, they look pretty good actually. the ballasts are really slim too. they are made by TRUSS.. i know what u guys are saying about wanting shit to work, but even if a bulb goes out, i dont mind spending 15 bucks for another set of bulbs. its still cheaper than other kits out there. i really dont see these one burning out sooner than other kits, they dont flicker or just shut off at all. anyway, i havent had them long, ill let u guys know when my first bulb goes out!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Members

i think its how they are installed that makes the final decision on wether theyll fail or not, for example: where theyre mounted (more/less vibration) and if u touched the bulb and forgot to wipe it!.. since installation is the one thing that varies the most between each person's setup.

btw, the TRUSS ones i installed are digital, 100% waterproof, and are shipped from the factory. so if there are any issues, i know who to call. i checked out the reviews on amazon, and couldnt really find any really bad ones. some items didnt even have less than a 4 star review.. i really do recommend trying these out.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PoloDKNY22
i think its how they are installed that makes the final decision on wether theyll fail or not, for example: where theyre mounted (more/less vibration) and if u touched the bulb and forgot to wipe it!.. since installation is the one thing that varies the most between each person's setup.

btw, the TRUSS ones i installed are digital, 100% waterproof, and are shipped from the factory. so if there are any issues, i know who to call. i checked out the reviews on amazon, and couldnt really find any really bad ones. some items didnt even have less than a 4 star review.. i really do recommend trying these out.

How much did you pay for the truss kit? I am a vendor for them. They are fairly decent kits for the price. I mostly sell their 55W ballasts.

Quick Reply: Make HID kit for yourself