E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

m5 paddle shifters

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530Xi 2007, Mods: logic 7, HUD, CIC+Combox+Snap-in Media, Rear view camera, SAT, NiVi, Stop&Go, KVv3, R1 brake rotors, RPI exhaust, M-package, High beam assist. Plans: ventilated seats.

Originally Posted by Wpg550
The OP has an '08 with the LCI (electronic) shifter. For LCI the shift +/- signals are sent over a single wire vs. separate wires for pre-LCI, so I'm thinking programming would be required at a minimum -- if the standard shiftbox ECU will even recognize the paddles.
Quite right, but noone can still tell me how to do it on Xi model Lci. Any suggestions?
Thks
Old 11-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Boots, the OP, has an LCI so it would be the same - doesn't matter whether you have XI or not.

Boots - did you end up getting this done? Still curious to see whether a "plug and play" option is actually available for the LCI (electronic shifter) models.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 sport with all the fixins, 07 yukon with all the fixins.

HI, no I haven't bought it yet as I have been working offshore alot lately. I will probably give him a call again within the next 2 weeks and place an order for the cable. But before that, I received great news yesterday as my rotiform sna wheels are finally finished. I have to pay the remaining ballance, purchase tires for them, and finally purchase new tires for my suv. The cable will have to wait for now. I was told it works but I thought that someone who has tried it would have chimed in to help us all.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:33 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe in LCI models upshift and downshift signals will be sent on can bus to the relevant ecu just like any other button on the steering wheel, in that case coding will be required.

I have read a DIY for paddle shift steering wheel retrofit but I think thats for pre-LCI models. One thing I am not sure is do we need to change shifter to manual mode before we can operate the paddles? If this is the case its useless, ideally one flick of hand should change the gear and bring it to manual mode too. Can someone confirm?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 530Xi 2007, Mods: logic 7, HUD, CIC+Combox+Snap-in Media, Rear view camera, SAT, NiVi, Stop&Go, KVv3, R1 brake rotors, RPI exhaust, M-package, High beam assist. Plans: ventilated seats.

Boots, the OP, has an LCI so it would be the same - doesn't matter whether you have XI or not.

Boots - did you end up getting this done? Still curious to see whether a "plug and play" option is actually available for the LCI (electronic shifter) models.

No, there is a difference for Xi and 2wd models: for 2wd models 2TB was available, so after installing the steering wheel and new ecu with sport joystick you just need to programme the car and for Xi models 2TB was not available, so there is no firmware for mechatronic. That's the problem. It seems the only way is to make some emulator, which will convert the signal from the paddles to the same as changing the gears manually by the joystick.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Correct - ST2B (sport auto transmission) was not offered on Xi models, but there's no difference if you want to retrofit. Check out the SAT retrofit thread... the retrofit has been done on Xi models. The only issue was LCI vs non-LCI.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AI001
I believe in LCI models upshift and downshift signals will be sent on can bus to the relevant ecu just like any other button on the steering wheel, in that case coding will be required.

I have read a DIY for paddle shift steering wheel retrofit but I think thats for pre-LCI models. One thing I am not sure is do we need to change shifter to manual mode before we can operate the paddles? If this is the case its useless, ideally one flick of hand should change the gear and bring it to manual mode too. Can someone confirm?
+1 on the up/downshift signals - that's why I'm curious to see if a plug and play solution works for LCI cars.

As for the paddle behaviour, if you retrofit SAT you do not need to change the shifter to use the paddles. The only difference is that if you don't change the shifter to manual mode then shifting reverts to full-auto after a couple of seconds after using the paddles. No idea if you just add paddles to the existing auto (haven't seen this successfully done on any LCI model to date).
Old 11-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Members

Correct - ST2B (sport auto transmission) was not offered on Xi models, but there's no difference if you want to retrofit. Check out the SAT retrofit thread... the retrofit has been done on Xi models. The only issue was LCI vs non-LCI.
Please clarify:
I've sport joystick and sport button installed, steerinf wheel with paddles, but no reaction on paddles in any mode of joystick. Which codding I need to make paddles work? As far as Isaw in the SAT retrofit thread only Pre-Lci models were retrofitted, but in that case it is done by wiring. In Lci no wiring possible. So codding needed.
I do not understand something... Explain please.
By the way my car is Jun 2007 production.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

I got mine from here. Pretty straight forward;

http://www.mrpaddleshift.com/index_after.htm
Old 11-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BenAnd
Hi

Can be made very easy on all E60/61 prod. after 09-2005 , on with the steering wheel ( M5 w. pads. ) and then a coding , and your done

Regards
BenAnd
Can also be done on pre 09-2005 models.
You will need a pre 09-2005 M5 wheel.

It can also be done with a post 09-2005 wheel but there is a lot of work involved so costs much more.

Quick Reply: m5 paddle shifters