E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M5 Mirrors Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,
Thumbs up

Hi everyone, this is a pic of one of the M5 mirrors that I have coming to me. The donor car was a 2006 M5, and my car is a 2004 530i. I have been wanting to know if these will fit my ride. If not, since it is from a pre-LCI car and my car is a pre-LCI as well, would it be possible to make this plug n play with some sort of wire adapter? I know there is also an option to swap out the inner workings of the original mirrors to the M5 mirrors, but I think if this is possible then it would be more logical to do so.

Concept would be a set of wires with a female plug on one end, and a male plug on the other end. The female end plug would connect to the male wire harness of the mirrors and the male end would run to the female plug of the car.

Is it likely that this could be possible?

Thanks!

M5 Mirrors Question-m5_mirror_1.jpg
Old 11-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My530I or Bruce Miranda would know what to do.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Hey Phi, this might help.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=54860

I know that he did new mirrors on an older e60. So you should be good.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I belive a number of people have m5 mirrors on pre lci. I've been looking at getting them too once my new bumper is on.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:08 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I don't want to sound like the bearer of bad news but here's your problem.

In pre-LCI cars the mirrors underwent a major change in 09/2005. This was not simply a wiring change but a big protocol and communication change. Up to 08/2005 the mirrors were 'dumb' and had individual wires for all the functions in the car - those individual wires were connected to an 'intelligent' door module which was receiving the BUS messages and decoding them into electrical signal pulses to be sent to the mirror.

Post 09/2005 the door module was removed completely and the functions were integrated into the Body Module and an ECU was added in the mirrors themselves. The Body Module and the ECU now communicate over a LIN Bus (single wire and ground bus). Also signal decoding is now done inside the mirror itself and thats the reason the 09/2005 mirrors have only 3 wires (power, LIN and ground).

So its not a simple question of making a wiring harness between the different version.

You could actually make a post 09/2005 car work with a pre- 09/2005 mirror but the otherway around is probably impossible without some major changes to the parts involved in the car. Post 09/2005 car to pre- 09/2005 mirrors would need to have the ECU from the old mirrors removed and hidden inside the door. Use the wires from the mirror ecu to driving the individual components of the pre 09/2005 mirror - its that simple.

In your case unless you want to attempt to build a Door Module to LIN Bus interface you're out of luck.

P.S. : Just thought of another solution provide you are happy with hacking the mirror you have. This will involve cutting out the ECU from the M5 mirror completely and attempting to build a bridging wiring harness between the door module of your car and the individual wires of the various components after the ECU. This is just a wild idea with absolutely no way to confirm if this will work. This area I thing you may have a problem with this is the mirror motor.

Your easiest solution is going to be a complete internal transplate.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Bruce, if I decide not to do the transplant for reasons of keeping the original mirrors intact for resale purpose, and buy new motors for the mirrors instead, I heard that the wires coming from the mirrors motor will have no harness on it to plug into my car door module. Is there a way I can order the plastic piece so i can make the wire into a full harness to plug into the door module?

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='719911' date='Nov 13 2008, 04:08 AM
I don't want to sound like the bearer of bad news but here's your problem.

In pre-LCI cars the mirrors underwent a major change in 09/2005. This was not simply a wiring change but a big protocol and communication change. Up to 08/2005 the mirrors were 'dumb' and had individual wires for all the functions in the car - those individual wires were connected to an 'intelligent' door module which was receiving the BUS messages and decoding them into electrical signal pulses to be sent to the mirror.

Post 09/2005 the door module was removed completely and the functions were integrated into the Body Module and an ECU was added in the mirrors themselves. The Body Module and the ECU now communicate over a LIN Bus (single wire and ground bus). Also signal decoding is now done inside the mirror itself and thats the reason the 09/2005 mirrors have only 3 wires (power, LIN and ground).

So its not a simple question of making a wiring harness between the different version.

You could actually make a post 09/2005 car work with a pre- 09/2005 mirror but the otherway around is probably impossible without some major changes to the parts involved in the car. Post 09/2005 car to pre- 09/2005 mirrors would need to have the ECU from the old mirrors removed and hidden inside the door. Use the wires from the mirror ecu to driving the individual components of the pre 09/2005 mirror - its that simple.

In your case unless you want to attempt to build a Door Module to LIN Bus interface you're out of luck.

P.S. : Just thought of another solution provide you are happy with hacking the mirror you have. This will involve cutting out the ECU from the M5 mirror completely and attempting to build a bridging wiring harness between the door module of your car and the individual wires of the various components after the ECU. This is just a wild idea with absolutely no way to confirm if this will work. This area I thing you may have a problem with this is the mirror motor.

Your easiest solution is going to be a complete internal transplate.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

What I'd suggest is looking for some old mirrors on ebay or a breaker and then using the electronics for that to transplant into the M5 shell. Don't spend a lot of money on it because you'll actually be quite shocked to hear that your current mirrors have very little resale value and so it may actually work out cheaper for you to take the stuff out of what you have rather than buy new stuff.

BMW do have spares for the mirrors but even they don't sell the wiring harness as a spare.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=51&fg=10
Old 11-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='720227' date='Nov 13 2008, 01:14 PM
What I'd suggest is looking for some old mirrors on ebay or a breaker and then using the electronics for that to transplant into the M5 shell. Don't spend a lot of money on it because you'll actually be quite shocked to hear that your current mirrors have very little resale value and so it may actually work out cheaper for you to take the stuff out of what you have rather than buy new stuff.

BMW do have spares for the mirrors but even they don't sell the wiring harness as a spare.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=51&fg=10

Ahh.. I see. That makes perfect sense. Thanks Bruce.