E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Lowering my car, How to?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 10:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same inquiry. I don't know anything about lowering and springs/shock absorbers...
Old 09-15-2004, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

Lowering the car with springs only is an inexpensive option but it will definitely affect your ride. More stiffer, you?ll feel road bumps somewhat more.
I think I will try it anyway, if you don't like it you can always go back to stock.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i Silver Grey (premium, sport, nav)

If your gonna buy springs, go with the H & R sport springs. I went with Eibach and I'm not happy with how the rear sits. I've seen H & R's and they sit much better. Honestly, the ride quality is not that much different. If you want to take it a step further, and go for ultimate performance and ride, you can get the H & R cup kit. Good luck and post some pics when it's all done..
Old 09-15-2004, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

As my 545 hasn't arrived, I don't know exactly how lowering would affect it. However, my current e36 has been lowered with Eibach springs with stock shocks and this absolutely killed the ride and balance. The spring rate increase was overpowering the shocks, so the car would bounce up and down and skit the road.

After 2 days, I ordered bilstein shocks but at the time, my eibach sportline wasn't calibrated to go with bilstein shocks. So I had to buy H&R and bilstein combo. This combo improved my ride and control considerably.

So, my lesson learned is as follows:

1. Always change spring and shocks together. They should compliment each other.
2. You'll be able to corner flatter but small imperfections on the road will also be felt. you'll also feel more "slamming"
3. Learn to drive into a bump at an angle. You'll scrape your car's bottom very often.
4. Car will look fantastic but not passenger/load friendly as fully loaded car will bottom out your shocks very easily.

5. Don't do it if you already have the sport package. Only consider if you bought a car without it. BMW spent thousands of hours tuning its sport suspension, so they know best.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Sep 15 2004, 09:50 AM
As my 545 hasn't arrived, I don't know exactly how lowering would affect it. However, my current e36 has been lowered with Eibach springs with stock shocks and this absolutely killed the ride and balance. The spring rate increase was overpowering the shocks, so the car would bounce up and down and skit the road.

After 2 days, I ordered bilstein shocks but at the time, my eibach sportline wasn't calibrated to go with bilstein shocks. So I had to buy H&R and bilstein combo. This combo improved my ride and control considerably.

So, my lesson learned is as follows:

1. Always change spring and shocks together. They should compliment each other.
2. You'll be able to corner flatter but small imperfections on the road will also be felt. you'll also feel more "slamming"
3. Learn to drive into a bump at an angle. You'll scrape your car's bottom very often.
4. Car will look fantastic but not passenger/load friendly as fully loaded car will bottom out your shocks very easily.

5. Don't do it if you already have the sport package. Only consider if you bought a car without it. BMW spent thousands of hours tuning its sport suspension, so they know best.
I agree with most of what Speedracer said.. but would like to comment on a few points.

3.) unless u're completely not slowing down on any bump higher than 3 inches or if you have a front kit or side skirts.. this should not be a problem

4.) i have not see this problem on my 3er.. maybe your passengers were too heavy?? (j/k) or perhaps your shocks were set at too low a setting...
the only problem i've had with this is when i've set the shocks too low and I've had my tires rub

5.) sorry..gotta totally disagree with you here. THe sports package while is a bit lower, still only offers very little advantage in terms of "tightening" the suspension... i would expect that someone who would want sports package suspension would be the first to go after some stiffer springs and shocks.. to me the sports package is not aggressive enough.. but a Coil-over kit is too harsh for my taste.. verdict: H&R cup kit or if that's still too harsh, you can go with a H&R and Bilstein combo...
Old 09-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I was 25 when I installed the spring, shocks, RD swaybars, ACS shock tower bar, 17" M-contour wheels. Like InitialD said, they were all tolerable and good. My E36 didn't have the sport-pack so I had to change the suspension.

Well, I am 33 now with kids so my shock tolerance has decresed substancially. Since ride quality is subjective, you'll get many different answers.

My cars height right now is 5", so with people on board, it scrapes very easily. Especially entering into a side walk or shopping plaza.

My cousin has the exact same car as mine, but with factory equiped sport package (16" wheels), and honestly, I prefer it over my set up. Conversely, he prefers mine.

Now, regarding E60. I find the sport-packaged E60 (30 min test drive) to be perfect for my taste. I don't know what spring or shock combo would make it even better. Besides, if you spend $ on sport package, why waste it. I am not talking from performance perspective, but at least, it doesn't make sense from financial perspective to change shocks and springs if you already have sport-package.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:18 AM
Members

If your car is equipped with dynamic drive any modification to the suspension will negatively affect it and i am almost sure that BMW will void the warranty.Better ask first.
If not,lowering means better look and cornering but always at the cost of comfort.
Your Choice
Old 09-15-2004, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Sep 15 2004, 12:51 PM
I was 25 when I installed the spring, shocks, RD swaybars, ACS shock tower bar, 17" M-contour wheels. Like InitialD said, they were all tolerable and good. My E36 didn't have the sport-pack so I had to change the suspension.

Well, I am 33 now with kids so my shock tolerance has decresed substancially. Since ride quality is subjective, you'll get many different answers.

My cars height right now is 5", so with people on board, it scrapes very easily. Especially entering into a side walk or shopping plaza.

My cousin has the exact same car as mine, but with factory equiped sport package (16" wheels), and honestly, I prefer it over my set up. Conversely, he prefers mine.

Now, regarding E60. I find the sport-packaged E60 (30 min test drive) to be perfect for my taste. I don't know what spring or shock combo would make it even better. Besides, if you spend $ on sport package, why waste it. I am not talking from performance perspective, but at least, it doesn't make sense from financial perspective to change shocks and springs if you already have sport-package.
lolz.. sorry.. i've been on E46 for so long..i totally forgot about the age differential here ...

in any case.. good to hear at 33 u're still young at heart lolz...i didnt take kids into consideration..cuz I AM the kid.. =P

i'm 22 (4 more days till im 23) yay!.. lolz..and i guess im still a baby on this board...

i guess the best bet is to try out a stock sports suspension one..and maybe some's modded one.. i cant say for the 5er yet..but for the 3.. mine with the H&R and Bilstein combo felt more on the road than my GF"s 325ci with sports package... i actually felt detached from the road a little bit....

i believe it's b/c i crave that slight bumpiness when i hit tiny rocks on the road cuz i feel more controlled....

for me.. the sports package was for the seats, steering wheel, and some upgraded rims that i could trade easier to aftermarkets......

now that i think about it.. this is prolly the last car i can go all out... cuz once i go through grad school...i'll be time to drive a car closer to stock ......

in any case to each his own!
maybe u can trade with your cousin.. haha..
Old 09-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

All I can say to all of you in your 20's: Enjoy while you can 'cause 30 is just around the corner. In no time, that Honda Odyssey in your neighbors' garage will look mighty attractive But you must resist at all cost.... Unfortunately, like everything in life, preference, necessities, views, will change.

I lamented what Bangle did with the 7 series back in '02. Now come to think of it, that big butt is lookin' mighty juicy... That baby's got back.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:23 PM
Contributors

For some reason i dont like the mess around with the suspension of my car. I like to live it the way it was designed.

It is like getting married to a girl who already looks good and can 'do it well' to tell her to modify her hip. .. (just a joke guys)

Quick Reply: Lowering my car, How to?