E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Lowering of the E60 with active steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 09:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will lowering the car with aftermarket suspension affect active steering in long run?
Old 06-14-2004, 09:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

I would think lowering the car via aftermarket springs or shocks could significantly alter the behavior of not only the AFS system, but also the Active Roll Stabilization (Dynamic Drive) system as well. Those systems probably rely on a certain suspension geometry remaining constant in order to do their thing.

-MrB
Old 06-14-2004, 09:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mrbelk' date='Jun 14 2004, 11:41 AM
I would think lowering the car via aftermarket springs or shocks could significantly alter the behavior of not only the AFS system, but also the Active Roll Stabilization (Dynamic Drive) system as well.? Those systems probably rely on a certain suspension geometry remaining constant in order to do their thing.

-MrB
I am wondering if active steering does its job alone or will a change in the suspension height affect it.
Whats the differen between sports suspension and a non sports with Active Steering?
I am collecting my car with 124 rims, non sports and Active Steeriing. It would be dreadful to know if any aftermarket suspension would not be recommended.

Addition: I do not have Dynamic Drive option.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:25 PM
Contributors

If you get to pick and choose, I'd rather have anti-roll stabilization over active steering.

Not sure if dynamic drive is the same as anti roll though.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AHBOY' date='Jun 14 2004, 11:55 AM
-MrB
I am wondering if active steering does its job alone or will a change in the suspension height affect it.
[/quote]
My US 530i with the sport package is about .6 lower than standard suspension.

Since mine is lowered, the question is "will after-market lowering of the standard suspension on a non-sport model with active steering affect the operation of the active steering?"

I doubt that BMW designed a special active steering system for the standard model. It seems to me that since Active Steering controls the movement of the tires so lowering the car shouldn't affect it negatively. Since the Sport Package is lowered, it probably is o.k. to do it after market.

For an absolute technical answer, you might want to check out AC Schnitzer's E60 suspension mods.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Jun 15 2004, 12:50 PM
[quote name='AHBOY' date='Jun 14 2004, 11:55 AM'] -MrB
[/QUOTE]
My US 530i with the sport package is about .6 lower than standard suspension.

Since mine is lowered, the question is "will after-market lowering of the standard suspension on a non-sport model with active steering affect the operation of the active steering?"

I doubt that BMW designed a special active steering system for the standard model. It seems to me that since Active Steering controls the movement of the tires so lowering the car shouldn't affect it negatively. Since the Sport Package is lowered, it probably is o.k. to do it after market.

For an absolute technical answer, you might want to check out AC Schnitzer's E60 suspension mods. [/quote]
Thanks Dude!!!