E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Long term VMR wheel reviews needed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Originally Posted by northern-monkey' post='845543' date='Apr 13 2009, 03:02 AM
nice positive attitude on the web site :thumbsdown: a lot of folks have the replica wheel s
clearly you have so much cash you buy all oem ????
How was my statement negative? It hold true to almost anything you purchase. You get what you pay for. You spend less money on replicas because they are of lesser quality.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='847711' date='Apr 14 2009, 10:55 PM
How was my statement negative? It hold true to almost anything you purchase. You get what you pay for. You spend less money on replicas because they are of lesser quality.

just ignore that comment

hes butthurt because his reps are having issues
Old 04-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Comparison for ya.....

The VMR CSL rims (at $899) I used to have had uneven thicknesses of paint on the rims, the paint was easily flaked off if you contacted it even slightly with any sort of metal tool like a lug wrench or wheel balance or mounting machine, and the quality of the casting process was not the best. You could feel parts of the metal that were smooth and others were bumpy or pitted.

Then last Fall, I paid $500 for some cheap winter rims...Sport Edition A7's: The painted finish was night and day compared to the VMR's....looked like they were powder-coating, even though they were painted....as good a quality as OEM finish if not better. And the metal casting was 1000% percent better than the VMR's....perfectly smooth and consistent surface to the rims.

Neither set of rims really rode well, however. I had vibration problems with both sets....more with the A7's. I'll never get a set of replica or aftermarket rims again, as a result of these 2 sets of rims.

So, forget the VMR's and order some HRE P40 Monobloks!!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='847742' date='Apr 14 2009, 11:43 PM
Comparison for ya.....

The VMR CSL rims (at $899) I used to have had uneven thicknesses of paint on the rims, the paint was easily flaked off if you contacted it even slightly with any sort of metal tool like a lug wrench or wheel balance or mounting machine, and the quality of the casting process was not the best. You could feel parts of the metal that were smooth and others were bumpy or pitted.

Then last Fall, I paid $500 for some cheap winter rims...Sport Edition A7's: The painted finish was night and day compared to the VMR's....looked like they were powder-coating, even though they were painted....as good a quality as OEM finish if not better. And the metal casting was 1000% percent better than the VMR's....perfectly smooth and consistent surface to the rims.

Neither set of rims really rode well, however. I had vibration problems with both sets....more with the A7's. I'll never get a set of replica or aftermarket rims again, as a result of these 2 sets of rims.

So, forget the VMR's and order some HRE P40 Monobloks!!

did you try hub rings or were they both hubcentric?
Old 04-15-2009, 05:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Well I hope I have a better experience when I finally receive mine. If not oh well, at least my car will look better for this summer and I'm only out less then a g. Damn XI and its limited options!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:22 AM
Banned

I have had zero problems with vibration. I went to discounttire and had to ask specifically for their bmw balancing or whatever machine it is called. They balance it from 3 angles instead of the regular which is just one angle. Silkly smooth on the VMR on the roads after being balanced there.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My VMR 710s are doing fine after 5 days.

Long term VMR wheel reviews needed.-dscn4557.jpg
Old 04-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='847717' date='Apr 15 2009, 02:04 AM
just ignore that comment

hes butthurt because his reps are having issues
Mate, Ihope that when you have any issues and problems and you go out to talk on the forum to share what is going , people respond to you in the same way as you do , dismissive and arrogant. your demeanor is really disapointing

This forum last year had a lot of cool folk on here that were interested in such items, I guess that was then and this is know
shame really
Old 04-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by northern-monkey' post='848384' date='Apr 15 2009, 01:28 PM
Mate, Ihope that when you have any issues and problems and you go out to talk on the forum to share what is going , people respond to you in the same way as you do , dismissive and arrogant. your demeanor is really disapointing

This forum last year had a lot of cool folk on here that were interested in such items, I guess that was then and this is know
shame really

Hey look buddy, we all have shitty things that happen to our cars in one fashion or another and we all can sympathize with that. He made a comment of "you get what you pay for" which is really true. Does that mean you should accept that the finish was poor on your wheels? Of course not.

But there is no reason to expect the world from a rep wheel. They can be hit and miss and by buying them you accept those possibilities.

When I bought volk wheels, I paid more because I expect that no issues will occur and if they do, Volk will do whatever they can to fix it as they wouldnt want to ruin their enormous reputation and a well deserved one.

I hope it gets sorted out but relax, at the very worst you shell out another $230 for another wheel.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='847745' date='Apr 15 2009, 02:52 AM
did you try hub rings or were they both hubcentric?
Both hubcentric.

Quick Reply: Long term VMR wheel reviews needed.