E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Lighting Mods (non-headlight) Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012 | 06:31 AM
Senior Members

I am curious what people that have made changes to their interior and exterior (side markers and license plate) think after they have done it.

I've never seen an E60 in person with these changes and it's pretty hard to make heads or tails of online pictures/videos. Most cameras really don't capture it well enough. I am curious about these three categories:

1) Side Markers - Which did you go with and what do you think? Did you go with a whiter LED light? something else?

2) Interior - What package(s) did you go with? How does it looks? Good/bad?

3) License Plate - I see many people mention changing this light. I've literally had no urge.. what's the appeal? Is it to go from Yellowish to White for an all around look that's a little different or do people want to make sure cops can clearly read their license plates at night?

If you have feedback on one or more of the above + what solution/vendor you went with.. I'd appreciate it. Giving some thought to this as a real small mod (upgrade? change?) but want to solicit some input first for those that don't mind.
Old 08-20-2012 | 06:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

Originally Posted by crypto
I am curious what people that have made changes to their interior and exterior (side markers and license plate) think after they have done it.

I've never seen an E60 in person with these changes and it's pretty hard to make heads or tails of online pictures/videos. Most cameras really don't capture it well enough. I am curious about these three categories:

1) Side Markers - Which did you go with and what do you think? Did you go with a whiter LED light? something else?

2) Interior - What package(s) did you go with? How does it looks? Good/bad?

3) License Plate - I see many people mention changing this light. I've literally had no urge.. what's the appeal? Is it to go from Yellowish to White for an all around look that's a little different or do people want to make sure cops can clearly read their license plates at night?

If you have feedback on one or more of the above + what solution/vendor you went with.. I'd appreciate it. Giving some thought to this as a real small mod (upgrade? change?) but want to solicit some input first for those that don't mind.

Greetings,
maybe i could help.

1) sidemarkers- i purchased the weisslicht smoked sidemarkers for my silvergray e60. they are smoked with orange illumination.
i kept them orange beacuse it might look goofey with orange rear signals and front side white signals.. lol
the smoked ones are a little to dark for my liking but 60$ later im stuck with them. but they are slowly growing on me. (bimmian.com)
im attempting to pull off the dark wheel and dark emblems, along with the matte black 525i badge to even it all out. so i went with smoked. althought i have the same brand smoked side markers on my e39 and they are not nearly as dark..

2)interior xenon/led - ive been contemplating this myself. the orignal interior xenon look appealing to me. its bugging me that the interior is yellowish lighting and the whole exteriror is 6k. i think the xenon kit from bimmian for around 50$ or so would look nice. i dont care for the leds upgrade because you can see all the led chips if you know where they are, like the dome light in the headliner.. not mention that stupid high price tag (and possibly blinding bright!)

3) LIcense plate leds.- i purchased these from umnitza. they were about 30$ and they are just the bulbs with leds inside. i really like them. no error or flicker.
super easy install and done. i like the look. looks updated, and fresh so to speak. when someone on the highway drives past me at night with the led license plate lights it does look nice. especially with a vanity plate
i think it just help completes the look.
maybe this helps???
if you buy the interior set let me know how you like it! ive been thinking about it.

-Bill
Old 08-20-2012 | 07:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

1) Sidemarkers I am still looking for ones I am satisfied with myself.

2) Interior lighting to white basically modernizes your car. The yellow lighting makes it look aged.

3) I don't understand why people have that train of thought that brighter license plate lights will attract more attention from the cops. If anything, it's the dim ones that people have red flags about. Again, this is to round out the "update" process of the vehicle. Most new luxury cars have nice white lighting for the plate lights.
Old 08-20-2012 | 08:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

just ordered a full set of led from 1 of the the member aretardedorange. hopefully arrive soon and i can finally give all my yellow bulb a refresh
Old 08-20-2012 | 11:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 535i

I ordered smoked turn signal, interior lights, all from trinity auto. Good customer services ordered monday,had lights tuesday since they are local vendors here in Cali. Makes a big difference at night when I unlock my car
Old 08-20-2012 | 03:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

1. Sidemarkers: My original OEM markers had some scuffing and wasn't as clear as I wanted. I then purchased those LED side markers. Personally, I think it's a downgrade. The ones I got looked like a plastic toy you can get at a $0.99 store. It had plastic chrome, no rubber backing so it could leak water into the back. In the end I just bought brand new OEM side markers and installed white LED T10 in them.

2. Interior lights. I like the white LED packages for the interiors. As nomis_nehc says, it does modernize the inside of the car.

3. I have the white LED licens plate lights. It does look nicer than the yellow. However, personally I wouldn't get the one advertised as being the "brightest". To me it takes away from the coolness look of the LCI tails.
Old 08-20-2012 | 05:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

I got the led interior lights and like them because they are so much brighter.
I got the smoked side marker and it blends in well with my carbon black 550i.
I got them all from Trinity. As far as whether they look good or bad, that's purely subjective.
Old 08-20-2012 | 06:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

1. I still got OEM sidemarkers...going to upgrade to T10 LED's pretty soon here.

2. Have OEM interior but I hear the kit from Trinity works wonders

3. I have Mtec License plate housings. These are by far the best housings i've ever owned and I've gone through like 3 sets. They perfectly match 6000K front-end lighting and are ultra-bright. It just makes the back stand out so much more. I would really recommend them over rdash type housings.