E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LED Tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Okay so I am thinking my next mod might be the LED tail-light replacement. However one thing I am confused about and hoping the informed can chime in.

Why are we refering them as LED tail lights, when I dont think they really are. The rear brake lights and the tail lamp still use and analog style bulb, the only thing that I can see different is the "light pipes", so they are not really full LED tail lamps like say the Audi's or the 7 series lamps. Am I wrong on this?

For those of you who dont know what "light pipes" are, thats what Cadillac calls them on the accent lighting package of their vehicles, so that was the best way to discrible them.

I was also curious if anyone out there has did a comparison with the LCI tailights next to the aftermarket LED's. which do you like better?

thanks fellas!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Rear "light pipes" may not be led, nor are the LCI Angels Eyes, but the same tech is used.

They might be "powerd by" leds though, but that I don't know for sure.

But the rear turn signal lights are "real" leds.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='666188' date='Sep 10 2008, 10:11 AM
Rear "light pipes" may not be led, nor are the LCI Angels Eyes, but the same tech is used.

They might be "powerd by" leds though, but that I don't know for sure.

But the rear turn signal lights are "real" leds.
You know you are correct about the turn signals, i had forgot about.....and now that I think about it the aftermarket LED's have the analog turn signal. Now that is a quandry!

So I guess my next real question, does anyone make a full LED taillight (both brakes and turn)?????? You'd think that would be somewhere.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The third brakelight (in your rear window) is LED, such as the turn signals.

Just the rear lights and the regular brakelights are not, AFAIK.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='666194' date='Sep 10 2008, 07:20 PM
You know you are correct about the turn signals, i had forgot about.....and now that I think about it the aftermarket LED's have the analog turn signal. Now that is a quandry!
No it ain't.
Better with OEM old ones than fake new ones!
Fakes look very cheap.

In the pre LCI the brake lights did only light up on the outer side bulb,
and the emergency brake light was in inner one.

But the LCI brake lights do light up two bulbs.
The emergency brake light is in the rear "fog" light on the LCI.

Note also that the side marker leds have changed on the LCI model.

This in EU for sure.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 525i Black Sapphire Metalic/Auburn Interior, Sports Package, Premium Package, Side and Rear Sun Blinds, Bluetooth with IPhone connected.

100% with oem they are a bit more but its worth the look and quality, i can get you a good deal on them. PM sent
Old 09-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Tyson, If I where you I would for sure go with the OEM LCI tails over the aftermarket tails. The OEM ones give off a more distinct look then the others, also it makes your car look like an LCI/updated car from the rear. It does cost about 4 times more then the others, but man... I still can't get over how good it makes the car look at night. GL with your choice and hopefully you will be satisfied with your decision.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

The rear light rods are LEDs too, they just use a plastic tube to curve the light around the light.