E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LED Rear Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 01:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gents,

Has anyone seen the LED rear lights on the e60? Does anyone kno if a retrofit is possible? If so, how much is it.

Just saw the one on the Merc E-class and they are lovely. Why does BMW always keep the best for last <_< .... We end up paying more for stuff others get right off the bat!!
Old 08-17-2004, 02:55 AM
Contributors

There were a few answer to your question. Scrool thru the forum. bekker.com has them. $28 pair.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by LogicMan' date='Aug 17 2004, 03:04 AM
Gents,

Has anyone seen the LED rear lights on the e60? Does anyone kno if a retrofit is possible? If so, how much is it.

Just saw the one on the Merc E-class and they are lovely. Why does BMW always keep the best for last <_<? .... We end up paying more for stuff others get right off the bat!!
Even though there were indications in some preliminary BMW info (including the original US Dealer Product Information brochure which you can find in the Information section of this website) that the E60 would come with LED tail lights, that has not been the case so far. Some people confuse the fact that the US tail lights from the start of production (and European ones from Jan 2004 production) have the Adaptive Brake Lights with the LED tail lights. The E60 Adaptive Brake Lights do not use LED's but just additional incandescent bulbs. There are no E60's so far with LED tail lights and we don't know if or when BMW will introduce them. By the way the MB E class only gets the LED's with certain packages (e.g. Sports Package).
Old 08-17-2004, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by amigo525' date='Aug 17 2004, 06:55 AM
There were a few answer to your question. Scrool thru the forum. bekker.com has them. $28 pair.
I think amigo is confusing the LED taillights with the "euro reflectors."
Old 08-17-2004, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Aug 17 2004, 01:31 PM
Even though there were indications in some preliminary BMW info (including the original US Dealer Product Information brochure which you can find in the Information section of this website) that the E60 would come with LED tail lights, that has not been the case so far. Some people confuse the fact that the US tail lights from the start of production (and European ones from Jan 2004 production) have the Adaptive Brake Lights with the LED tail lights. The E60 Adaptive Brake Lights do not use LED's but just additional incandescent bulbs. There are no E60's so far with LED tail lights and we don't know if or when BMW will introduce them.
I would say, BMW will not introduce LED taillights for the E60 ! not today, not next year, never!
I think the brochure was translated wrong... Nobody thoght about the difference of taillights and brakelights... Brakelights are at the tail of the car too, so I think they've just translated it wrong, because in fact there ARE LED's, but in the third brakelight (top middle of rear window). That's what they've meant, I guess.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:13 AM
JDN
Contributors

...and the third brake light is big, bright and very visible.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I wish it had the current 3 series coupe system. With all the leds.. Looks awesome when somebody is braking!
Old 08-17-2004, 06:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 17 2004, 08:53 AM
I wish it had the current 3 series coupe system. With all the leds.. Looks awesome when somebody is braking!
yeah.... my GF"s 325i almost blinds me when i'm driving behind her......

then ones on the Infiniti FX also do a good job of saying "HEY I'M HERE!!"
Old 08-17-2004, 01:12 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess BMW plan to use LED tail lights on their 2 door coupes like the 3 series coupe and 6 series etc. I guess they could have stuck to the red strip for the tail lights in the previous E39. They appear to use it on the new E90 3 series rear lights too from what I saw from the pictures.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 17 2004, 07:56 AM
I think the brochure was translated wrong... Nobody thoght about the difference of taillights and brakelights... Brakelights are at the tail of the car too, so I think they've just translated it wrong, because in fact there ARE LED's, but in the third brakelight (top middle of rear window). That's what they've meant, I guess.
Actually if you click on the following link and go to page 26 of the pdf file you will see some pictures of the taillight with text captions under the pics. They clearly say that the brake lights are supposed to be LED's and the only regular brake bulb is supposed to be the one in the round section which turns on with adaptive brakes. I am posting an image of this below, but you can also go to page 26 of the pdf file (p. 25 of the brochure). You can see that they are indicating that there are supposed to be LED brake lights INSIDE the taillight, they are NOT refering to the third brake light in the rear window. Obviously it seems like BMW intended to put LED brake lights in the taillights initially (according to this document) but did not follow through.

>>>>Click here and go to page 26 of the pdf (p. 25 of the brochure)<<<<<

Quick Reply: LED Rear Lights