E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LED License Plate Bulbs & Cables

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 05:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi, Monaco Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota Leather, Dark Popular Trim, Steptronic, Premium Pkg., Cold Weather Pkg., Heated Rear Seats, Navigation, Sirius, 2004 330cic convertible, Mystic Blue Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Myrtle Wood Trim, Rare Myrtle Wood & Leather Sport Steering Wheel, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Xenons, Navigation, Heated Seats, Park Distance Control 2004 R1200C Montauk Motorcycle, Artic Blue Metallic, Servo ABS Linked Brakes, Chrome Pkg, Fog Lamps, Heated Grips

I know this topic has been brought up by others (with some selling their own "prepackaged" solutions), but it IS ridiculously easy to convert the dull (and old fashioned) yellow incadescent bulbs that illuminate your rear license plate to bright "white" light LED's like the "entry illumination" LED's on your E60 door mirrors (if equipped). It's a small but really noticable upgrade and we all want the best technology for our cars so I thought I'd share my experience. If you have LCI Tail Lights you'll definitely want to make this upgrade to complement the high tech look of your car's rear end.

There are only 2 steps involved to make this upgrade:

1) Replace the 2 License Plate bulb assemblies with newer LED assemblies now being used on E92 and other models. The part number is 63-26-7-193-293 and available for under $30. My recommendation is to get them from Garry Romano at Newport BMW (you can send him a PM here on the E60 Forum: "BMW Of Newport") since he is such a good supporter (and BMW OEM parts supplier) of the E60 Forum and gives us great discounts.

2)Get the "Plug 'n Play" Cable Conversion set from our resident E60 Forum electrical genius (and E60 owner) Bruce Miranda. (You can PM Bruce here on the forum for ordering info: "Bruce_Miranda"). The connectors are different on the new LED License Plate Bulb Assemblies and this cableset allows you to simply "plug in" one end to the connector on your car and the other end plugs right into the new LED assembly (no splicing, no iDrive errors). That's it! There are other solutions available from other sources here on the E60 Forum but I have always trusted Bruce's solutions because he always makes them "Plug 'n Play", uses nothing but quality components with BMW OEM parts, and THEY WORK. ("You get what you pay for")

I just finished my upgrade and I wanted to pass this info on or refresh the topic for others who are considering this smart looking modification.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Nice, thanx for sharing....

Pics and total cost?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 (01/05 Build) Titanium Silver Metallic 530i, Black Dakota Leather Interior w/Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Cold, Premium & Sport Packages, Steptronic, Bluetooth MODS: OEM 166's (M5 Offset) on General's (245/35 & 275/30), 15mm H&R Spacers, Auxiliary Audio Input, 6000K Xenon Headlights and Matching HID Fogs, AIB v3.0, SprintBooster, OEM LED License Plate Bulbs, Smoked LED Side Markers, Matte Black Kidney Grills

Where were you when i ordered my 'aftermarket' led lights yesterday!

It's all good though, it's nice to know there are other options.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F10 M-Sport
Model Year: 2014

I'd like to know more about the plug & play cable conversion.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

PICS PLEASE!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi, Monaco Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota Leather, Dark Popular Trim, Steptronic, Premium Pkg., Cold Weather Pkg., Heated Rear Seats, Navigation, Sirius, 2004 330cic convertible, Mystic Blue Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Myrtle Wood Trim, Rare Myrtle Wood & Leather Sport Steering Wheel, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Xenons, Navigation, Heated Seats, Park Distance Control 2004 R1200C Montauk Motorcycle, Artic Blue Metallic, Servo ABS Linked Brakes, Chrome Pkg, Fog Lamps, Heated Grips

Here are some answers to general response I received:

1)I will post pictures tonight after it gets dark
2) Cost is under $30 for the 2 LED License Plate Light assemblies (Depend where you buy them which is why I recommended Garry at BMW of Newport) AND under $60 for Bruce Miranda's Plug 'N Play Cableset (Depends where Bruce has to ship them )
3) Plug 'n Play simply means that since the new LED light assemblies have a different plug on them than your original, you either have to splice wires (like as in CUTTING them ) or you can make a cable adapter with the old plug on one end and the new style plug on the other end and simply "plug 'n play"- get it This is what Bruce Miranda has done for you for a fair price. He will sell you a well engineered quality cable adapter to allow you to simply plug in these new style LED License Plate Light assemblies to the old style wire harness on your car and you are all done.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

PICS!! PICS!!! PICS!!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

hmmm...elite's runs $70 (adaptor and oem incl.), bruce's (cables from bruce, lights from gary) set-up runs about $90....

guess it's up to the buyer...

Thanx for the info...
Old 10-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Members

Okay folks, here are pictures showing the LED License Plate Lights connected up and turned "on" along with my LCI Tail Lights upgrade installed (using yet another one of Bruce Miranda's unique cableset retrofit solutions ) :

LED License Plate Bulbs & Cables-p1000801.jpg

And here is a close up picture of just the LED License Plate upgrade powered up. Pay particular attention to the brightness and "whiteness" of the illumination that is clearly noticable even in the photos (Note, what you see on the bottom edge of plate is not because of the LED's showing uneven or less illumination but the color of the license plate background in NJ fades from yellow on top to white on bottom. The State DMV says it makes for "higher visibility" ):

LED License Plate Bulbs & Cables-p1000806.jpg

Hope this helps
Old 10-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

wow very nice! thanks for the pics!

Quick Reply: LED License Plate Bulbs & Cables