E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LCI Tails (Test Fit) Retrofit | Orion V2 Preview

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011 | 09:50 AM
Members

So now I'm more confused, how comes Chris appears to have Rods alight in the first pics?
Old 09-06-2011 | 10:01 AM
Members

Great car, man!
Old 09-06-2011 | 10:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Chris, dude, your car looks freaking awesome man! Makes me want to blow my whole pay check on new projects!!
Old 09-06-2011 | 11:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by markie
So now I'm more confused, how comes Chris appears to have Rods alight in the first pics?
This is probably a little confusing unless you have dealt with it hands on. But in short, he has hooked up the Hella cables but without proper retrofit coding. What happens is that the tails will work, but not as it is intended to. Notice how in his pictures one of his brake bulb is lit. It's not suppose to be (I am guessing he had it set to low beams on). Additionally, if he turns the knob to parking lights, his rods will not be lit (whereas a proper retrofit or Bruce's cable would be).

To be honest, I haven't really had much opportunity to mess with the stock cables without coding it properly, so I am not certain of how it behaves perfectly. I can, however, positively say that it will not work correctly without LM2 and coding unless you are willing to physically mod the boards' contacts.
Old 09-06-2011 | 12:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

yea its all very confusing

but just to clarify, when i turn on the parking lights (low beams not on, light control switch is in position 1) the rods are lit as seen in the pics.

when i turn the switch to position 2 (low beams and all other lights on) the rods are still lit just the same.

in addition, the brake lights appear to operate just like an LCI model.....and if it doesnt, i cant notice the difference honestly.

again, i think Bruce's Cables are a great invention.....this was just a test fit that went well for me and i dont plan to change anything about the set-up for now. other people are going to have to make that decision for themselves though. but for me, i dont see the return on investment given that they look pretty good to me
Old 09-06-2011 | 12:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

thank you sir, you are far too kind!

to be honest, they only reason ive been able to complete so many mods this summer is due to the fact that i literally scour the internet, junkyards and ebay for parts at bargain basement prices then complete 99.9% of all the installs and custom work myself. its been a ton of fun.

im actually searching the web right now for either an E39 M5 or E36 M3 as a winter time project car....i think im running out of stuff to do with the E60 now that the CIC retrofit is complete...

Originally Posted by pradden
Chris, dude, your car looks freaking awesome man! Makes me want to blow my whole pay check on new projects!!
Old 09-06-2011 | 12:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by umichchris
yea its all very confusing

but just to clarify, when i turn on the parking lights (low beams not on, light control switch is in position 1) the rods are lit as seen in the pics.

when i turn the switch to position 2 (low beams and all other lights on) the rods are still lit just the same.

in addition, the brake lights appear to operate just like an LCI model.....and if it doesnt, i cant notice the difference honestly.

again, i think Bruce's Cables are a great invention.....this was just a test fit that went well for me and i dont plan to change anything about the set-up for now. other people are going to have to make that decision for themselves though. but for me, i dont see the return on investment given that they look pretty good to me
Ah interesting. Maybe there's a difference between Hella's cable and the OEM retrofit cable sold at the dealership. In any case, that one bulb lit at all times besides "off" is not how it's suppose to be. If you want to tinker with the board physically, that can be fixed.
Old 09-06-2011 | 09:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Ah interesting. Maybe there's a difference between Hella's cable and the OEM retrofit cable sold at the dealership. In any case, that one bulb lit at all times besides "off" is not how it's suppose to be. If you want to tinker with the board physically, that can be fixed.
Well I've ordered the retrofit cables from the local dealership, so I'll dust off my meter and have a play when it arrives :-)