E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 03:51 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I'm actually not sure about the BFD on the EU LCIs anymore. The reason being in the pre-LCI cars the BFD on the EU cars used to be one of the lights in the main section and the circle light in the US.
However in the LCI lights both lights in the main section come up during normal Braking (like they've always done in the US). So I don't know where the BFD bulb in the EU is because the circle is for the Fog light. In the US it could still be the circle bulb because they don't have the rear fog.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW ALPINA B5

I am starting to think that on all EU LCIs the BFD is a standard feature. I am also confirming this now directly with Germany. It makes a big difference whether it is or not! if you have the Light Module programmed with no BFD all the cables get swapped around making the light function differently (different bulbs lighting / bulbs not lighting) - this is what I discovered on my car!

Now I am going to try the 2nd programming of the LM with the BFD settings! and if I get full functionality on my tail lights it will only mean that all Euro spec cars had BFD as a standard feature. I have re-wired my car with the new retrofit cables - this is what I am going through this heart ache again! But I love it!

I am going to post How to upgrade ur car's bumper to the new LCI bumper / what is required along with all the parts - I just finished doing mine!

Thanks
M.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='500000' date='Nov 28 2007, 03:51 PM
I'm actually not sure about the BFD on the EU LCIs anymore. The reason being in the pre-LCI cars the BFD on the EU cars used to be one of the lights in the main section and the circle light in the US.
However in the LCI lights both lights in the main section come up during normal Braking (like they've always done in the US). So I don't know where the BFD bulb in the EU is because the circle is for the Fog light. In the US it could still be the circle bulb because they don't have the rear fog.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Members

Bruce,

The following was what I recieved from Germany as a response to my question;

BMW 5 Series, X3 and 6 Series Coupe and Convertible from March 2004 production onwards are fitted with Brake Force Display technology, while the 3 Series, X5 and Z4 Roadster from April 2004 production onwards do also include this standard feature.

Brake Force Display standard safety feature introduced as standard equipment on BMW vehicles sold in Australia and other markets under its industry-leading FIRST (Fully Integrated Road Safety Technology) policy which includes anti-lock brakes, traction and stability control, dual-stage intelligent airbags and rigid body shells equipped with impact absorbing crumple zones.

So this means that all cars including US & Euro should have BFD as a standard. This is why my tail lights are not functioning properly - because they recoded the Light Module with the wrong software with no BFD feature.

Take care
M.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Members

Bruce,

The following was what I recieved from Germany as a response to my question;

BMW 5 Series, X3 and 6 Series Coupe and Convertible from March 2004 production onwards are fitted with Brake Force Display technology, while the 3 Series, X5 and Z4 Roadster from April 2004 production onwards do also include this standard feature.

Brake Force Display standard safety feature introduced as standard equipment on BMW vehicles sold in Australia and other markets under its industry-leading FIRST (Fully Integrated Road Safety Technology) policy which includes anti-lock brakes, traction and stability control, dual-stage intelligent airbags and rigid body shells equipped with impact absorbing crumple zones.

So this means that all cars including US & Euro should have BFD as a standard. This is why my tail lights are not functioning properly - because they recoded the Light Module with the wrong software with no BFD feature.

Take care
M.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

I could have told you that. BFD has been standard for a while now but my point is which bulb in the LCI cars is the BFD. In the pre-lci EU cars it was the middle light and the in the US it was the circle. But so far I have no idea where the LCI BFD is, both for the US or EU -although for the US cars it may still be in the circle itself.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='500491' date='Nov 29 2007, 10:12 AM
I could have told you that. BFD has been standard for a while now but my point is which bulb in the LCI cars is the BFD. In the pre-lci EU cars it was the middle light and the in the US it was the circle. But so far I have no idea where the LCI BFD is, both for the US or EU -although for the US cars it may still be in the circle itself.
The BFD function is identical in both US and EU cars. BFD operates on the fog lights. Pics extracted from MY2008 manuals.
The only point to note is that in the EU manual there is an asterisk indicating that at time of printing, the function was not yet available...
Also in the EU version BFD will only function if the fog lights are not operating at the time.

LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working-bfd2.jpg LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working-bfd1.jpg
Old 11-29-2007, 01:18 AM
Contributors

Andy, As usual you've chimed in with excellent information. That makes a lot of sense. So in the fog no one will know I am Heavy Braking in Europe anymore :-)
Old 11-29-2007, 02:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='500504' date='Nov 29 2007, 11:18 AM
So in the fog no one will know I am Heavy Braking in Europe anymore :-)
yeah, it seems that way ! BMW didn't do their homework on this one...
Old 12-18-2007, 04:44 AM
Members

Ok. I bought the LCI rear taillights in "Germany". I do not want the LCI front headlights.

1) But what is the difference between bruce's cable and the new kit made by bmw ?
2) Is it possible to install the new kit made by bmw only for the rear ?
3) Which am the best of two ?

tHANK YOU FOR THE ANSWER.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Members

according to my dealer, the bmw kit can only be done using both front and rear and will cost over ?2.000,00!

Quick Reply: LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working