E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kdagher' post='495952' date='Nov 18 2007, 12:56 PM
Hello everyone,

I bought a 2006 BMW 523i, it was made in 2005 june.

I want to get the rear taillights from the 2008 (LCI)
i had some questions before

1) What is the Pre LCI lights ?

2) If i buy the 2008 rear tail lights from BMW, would the bruces cable be compatible ?

3) or do i need to get a aftermarket 2008 LCI from my car along with the cable ?

4) my 2006 523 that was manufactured in 2005 june, what kind of lights do i have, what do i really need to do it, i live in saudi arabia.

Thank you so much
Hi kdagher,
1. The pre-LCI lights are the ones you have on your car right now (taillight + headlight)
2. Yes, Bruce made those taillight cable for cars before the facelift.
3. You need the LCI taillights (euro specs=amber turn signal led, US specs=red) and then bruce's cable.
4. All you need is the new LCI taillight + the aftermarket cable Bruce made.

I would say--go with Bruce's cable if you only want the taillights. Save yourself alot of money and trouble. But if you really want the headlights too, the OEM retrofit cable recently released by BMW would probably be the best route. Some members here and myself are doing the "LCI retrofit" for both the headlights and taillights. It is alot of hassel and gets expensive.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Members

Thanks for your fast reply,

If i understood correctly, if i want the taillights only. I have to go to BMW buy the rear lights and buy the cable from Bruce, thats only for the rear section.

1) Now if i want to do the front headlights also i am going to need Bruces cable for the rear and the BMWs cable for the front ?

2) The BMW's cable is only for the front , or for both ?

3) How come the front headlight is LSI ? which part from the front is newly LSI ?

Thank you again
Old 11-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Contributors

No worries.
1. The BMW LCI retrofit comes with a pair of cable for the taillights and then a bunch of pins/sockets etc for headlights. If you go the OEM route, no need for Bruce's cable. Depending on what year built of the car, may need new light module or additional things for the new headlight and taillight.
2. It's for both rear and front lights. in addition, programming/coding of light module is necessary.
3. LSI? You mean LCI? The whole headlights were redesigned, for example: brighter angel eyes as Daytime Running Light (DRL).

Bruce's cable is only for rear. You may want to shop around and buy the OEM BMW taillight from dealer, ebay or somewhere.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Members

the huge difference i saw, was only in the rear tailights.

I really didnt notice a big difference for the front headlights. I think i am going to buy bruces cable (i hope its 100% strobe free and 100% compatible with the idrive)

Do you know the exact difference of the 06 headlight and 08 headlight for the Xenon only ?

Thank you
Old 11-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Bruce's version 3 cables do not have any strobing if your light switch is in the Auto or On position. If it's in the Off position, it'll strobe for a few seconds during startup. I always have mine in the auto position so strobing is not an issue.

Like RootKit mentioned, the LCI headlights have brighter angel eyes that can be used as Daytime Running Lights. It also does not have the amber reflector in the corners. And if I recall correctly, there are chrome bezels around the projector lamps.

I have the LCI LED taillights and Bruce's cables but instead of getting the LCI headlights, I got a set of European pre-LCI headlights that do not have the amber reflectors. No retrofit cable was needed to fit those headlights.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

BTW, look at the sticky thread at the top of this Parts and Accessories forum for the info from BMW of New Port, RI. Gary Romani is offering members 25% off. You can probably get the taillights from him for about $400.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530i 05 M-technic Silvergrey whith beige dakotaleather

How much for the cable Bruce?
Do some one know the price of the taillaights
Old 11-22-2007, 07:27 AM
Members

I was just at my local BMW dealer in Germany and the rear LCI lights cost about ?170 each side. I'll more than likely get them and the cable from Bruce if he still makes them.
The whole LCI kit including front & rear lights and the new LCM module from BMW would cost over ?2,000.00 plus labor!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Members

I finally decided to get the retrofit cables from Bruce after buying the taillights during the group buy a while ago. But it was well worth it!

Bruce's cables were professionally made and they work flawlessly! A simple plug and play.

Thanks Bruce!

LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working-rear_oldnew.jpg

LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working-newright.jpg
Old 11-28-2007, 03:38 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW ALPINA B5
Thumbs up

Bruce Congrats on the baby

Small question - do are all Euro version LCI cars come with Brake Force ?? or can they be without?? is this a standard feature of the LCI???

Thanks
M

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='488376' date='Nov 1 2007, 12:43 AM
Sorry all, my wife has just delivered a baby this week who is unfortunately not doing very well so I've been quite busy doing trips to the hospital. Will reply to all PMs at leisure.

Quick Reply: LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working