E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LCI Retrofit Facelift Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 09:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Beemer
Model Year: D5

Originally Posted by Merdashti
Rpav,

The lights are the same they come standard on both cars - both will work!

Regards,
M.
I went to the dealer yesterday, Was putting an order in for the retrofit kit. I mentioned to the parts guy that I already had the LCI tail lights and I had a set of dynamic headlights from a LCI M5 and he couldnt confirm if it would work. He has now sent a email to germany to ask them if the M5 headlights will work with this kit. Not sure when I am going to get an answer as the email gets sent in english then gets translated to german etc. Could someone please confirm if I can use the M5 headlights on my car. I currently have dynamic adaptive headlights.

Many Thanks,

Vejay
Attached Thumbnails LCI Retrofit Facelift Lights-m5-lci-headlights.jpg   LCI Retrofit Facelift Lights-m5-lci-left.jpg   LCI Retrofit Facelift Lights-m5-lci-right.jpg  
Old 11-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 2damfunky
I went to the dealer yesterday, Was putting an order in for the retrofit kit. I mentioned to the parts guy that I already had the LCI tail lights and I had a set of dynamic headlights from a LCI M5 and he couldnt confirm if it would work. He has now sent a email to germany to ask them if the M5 headlights will work with this kit. Not sure when I am going to get an answer as the email gets sent in english then gets translated to german etc. Could someone please confirm if I can use the M5 headlights on my car. I currently have dynamic adaptive headlights.

Many Thanks,

Vejay

Anyone Please? I am eagar to get this installed!!!

Thanks
Old 11-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

You can use the headlights fine. Depending on the year of your car you may need new light control module and new xenon balast etc.

I am about to make this upgrade on my 2003 520i - i got used headlights that had the Xenon bulbs and ignitor. But since my current xenons are old style d2s I need to upgrade the balasts.
Also some say that the AHL module needs to get upgraded, but I plan on trying my luck with the one I have.... From ETK it looks like all modules can be used - lets see
I am currently waiting for the new balasts to arrive - then I will make the upgrade.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by thomassteen
You can use the headlights fine. Depending on the year of your car you may need new light control module and new xenon balast etc.

I am about to make this upgrade on my 2003 520i - i got used headlights that had the Xenon bulbs and ignitor. But since my current xenons are old style d2s I need to upgrade the balasts.
Also some say that the AHL module needs to get upgraded, but I plan on trying my luck with the one I have.... From ETK it looks like all modules can be used - lets see
I am currently waiting for the new balasts to arrive - then I will make the upgrade.

Thomassteen,

Thanks for your reply! I have ordered in the LCM module and the cable kit, It should arrive tomorrow. The Headlights I have has the AHL module and the Ballest attached. my current xenons are d1s.

I will keep you updated with my install.

Many Thanks,

VJ
Old 01-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

I did the pin-out based on a diagram i downloaded here, somehow I had messed up the brown cables, I plugged all the cables into the 12 pin retrofit adapter and it seems that I can't remove them to switch it around.. I don't wanna force anything, but whoever had to switch wires around how did you removed it from the adapter ?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

I meant for the headlights I got it!!

Originally Posted by tnycman
I did the pin-out based on a diagram i downloaded here, somehow I had messed up the brown cables, I plugged all the cables into the 12 pin retrofit adapter and it seems that I can't remove them to switch it around.. I don't wanna force anything, but whoever had to switch wires around how did you removed it from the adapter ?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by RootKit
In the end--well worth the effort, frustration and time to get the lights installed on the car. The "welcome lights" effect is quite sweet! When unlocking the car, the angel eyes and the LED rods in the rear fades on. The angel eyes DRL is very bright...it catches people's attention. And yes an LCI looks without the ugly amber color refector on front bumper!

There are a few minor issues. For US market--I never had and still don't have the ability to turn DRL on or off after the retrofit. But I think LCI cars now have DRL access through I-drive.

The ALC can be reused according to the installation manual. I reused my ALC but ended up with a flashing green light when switch is on auto--meaning my adaptive don't work. The installer checked for faults but found none. A couple members here have similar problem. One member replaced the ALC and had no problems afterward. Not sure if this has anything to do with older model year.

Cornering lights don't work. When turning left or right it is suppose to light up on LCI cars at speeds below 25mph. I think it is a software bug and/or only for cars from 03/2005? I have seen LCI cars making turns but i have never notice the "cornering light". I Don't think our pre-LCI cars had it anyways in the first place. There is a thread that discuss it in depth.

Installation:
I used this Attachment 48136 revised as of 1/2008. Do not use the older one I posted a while ago earlier in the thread.
For a while, BMW put the kit on hold since they had to fix the installation manual--they really screwd up! On the hardware side, the cable have wires to the wrong pins (will mention about it later). And on the encoding/programming side, apparently gave some crytic hard to find name and wrong pathway. Add everything up, a person would have to go through hell to get it to work a few months ago. :thumbsdown: Now things are a lot smoother.

The front headlights installed easily. The old plugs were clipped off. A new socket plug was wired with the 11 wires for each headlight. In all for left and right headlights there were total of 3 wires with slight color variation. One was brown/yellow instead of being brown as in manual, etc. When it comes to gauge/thickness of wire--it is virtually the same. The differences probably have something to do with my 12/2003 built car--I assume cars after 03/2005 will color match exactly.

The facelift cable connects the old plug to the new LCI taillight. Each left and right cable has a wire to be routed all the way to the front of the car. The two wires connect to the light module plug. I can see that the light module cable wire loom don't come out far enought--modifying the pins is a squeeze. Nevertheless, fairly straight forward just tedious amount of time in removing the moldings when routing the wires to the front.

OK I'm grateful Andy545 brought this up in his thread--the retrofit cable contains mismatched pins! To save the dealer from troubleshooting, I corrected the cable before having them installed. It only take a few minutes. On my cable (both left & right) pin 4 & 6 need to be swapped! The 6 wires should match up with the colors of the 6 pre-LCI wires according to the diagram (pg 21). I'm surprised how BMW slipped on something that is simple. A basic quality check would have caught the mistake. Definitely, check your left and right cable!

Encoding/programming:
Before the Installation, the dealer had the car updated to Progman version 28 via SSS. After getting the hardware installed--It was quite a PITA to locate the procedure name to get the headlights and taillights functioning properly. Eventually after some speculation, the location was under "retrofits" and then "lights package". I think sometimes translation from German to English gets lost somewhere.

Thanks to forum member Merdashti for helping me get started with parts needed. Please note most of the parts listed are for cars with adaptive xenon headlights. For regular bi-xenon without adaptive...the light module & headlights will be a different part# and also less parts to buy.

1 Retrofit Cable Set [ 61 12 0 432 110 ]

2 AHL Headlights
- Left [ 63 12 7 177 749 ] US
- Right [ 63 12 7 177 750 ] US

2 Taillights
- Left [ 63 21 7 177 281 ] EU
- Right [ 63 21 7 177 282 ] EU

1 Light Module [ 61 35 9 154 944 ]
(Needed for cars before 9/2006)

2 Xenon Bulbs D1S w/ Ignition Element [ 63 21 7 162 862 ]
(Needed for cars before 1/17/2005)

2 Lamp Holders "ring clips" [ 63 11 7 162 087 ]
(Needed for cars before 1/17/2005--to hold xenon bulb in housing)

2 Control Unit Xenon Light "ballast" [ 63 12 6 937 223 ]
(Needed for cars before 1/17/2005--for D1S Xenon bulb)

2 Electronics box ALC (uncoded) [ 63 12 7 189 312 ]
(adaptive light control, "motor/actuator")

Anyone NEED HELP!!!!!
I have 2006 BMW M5 with production 05/06 and I did LCI headlights and tail light upgrade. I folowed the LCI_UPDATE.pdf and got my all lights working fine without any problems except corner lights and Adaptive Head lights (AHL) Changed my LCM and car was reprogramed by SF BMW. I got one AHL error and i don't know what to do. Corner lights working for 5-7 sec and they Stop working. Dealer telling me that i have fault for the left headlight SMC because there is nothing plugged in at pin 2 and I NEED TO GO TO x13502 fined the wire that goes to left headlight cut it away from the splice and extend it to the module and plug it in to pin 2. I really don't think this is right way to fix this problem and i don't know what to do. Please if you could help i would appreciate!!!!!!! Also i don't know if this could be a problem i am using my old bulbs ballast and ALC. Thanks For your help!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 03:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

On the LCI Retrofit diagram there are 2 senarios

1. For cars with Bi-Xenon, 2.With AHL.

What about the ones with both options? Somone installed Bi-Xenon with AHL ?

I see that the only difference is pin 8 which is not used on AHL, but used on Bi-xenon.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LCI_UPDATE.pdf (1.07 MB, 656 views)
Old 02-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tnycman
On the LCI Retrofit diagram there are 2 senarios

1. For cars with Bi-Xenon, 2.With AHL.

What about the ones with both options? Somone installed Bi-Xenon with AHL ?

I see that the only difference is pin 8 which is not used on AHL, but used on Bi-xenon.
I was reading up on pre-LCI halogen to LCI halogens and lots of people are having issues with the AEs, I take it this not the case with LCI Bi-Xenons since you MUST upgrade to LM2 for the conversion.
Anything else required when going pre-LCI halogens to LCI bi-xenons, apart from new LM and coding?
Old 02-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 Carbon Black 02/2006 Sport

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
Yes the smaller box is the adaptive module.

You have to check the headlight most likely it uses D1S where ignitor built into the ballast so if you get ballast from eBay make sure fit D1S or D2S which you have to make sure
Hi BlaSTiWi n members, Finally after a few months struggle I have gathered all required parts for LCI bi xenon conversion ... but I have just noticed that the Light Module which I bought is for LCI bi xenon "Adaptive" Headlights and also "pre coded" ... but my Headlights are LCI "non adaptive" bi xenons ... can LCI bi xenon adaptive light module be re coded or re programmed to work with LCI "NON ADAPTIVE" bi xenon headlights?

Please advise

Quick Reply: LCI Retrofit Facelift Lights