E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LCI Retrofit Facelift Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

Originally Posted by madbmw' post='791938' date='Feb 13 2009, 08:32 AM
I have a couple of questions on the light retro.. I have the tail lights "new from Gary" and the headlights from ebay "both from 2008.. I just ordered the wire kit from Roveractive rip off by the way..Roveractie reported that BMW doesnot have the LCM anymore..True or Not or what replaces it now.. Second i have read the thread over a couple of times and in the middle you have to change some of the wires around.. Is this still true because at the end you stated that it wasnt necessary.. My car is a 2004 530i,unsure of the exact build date due to i am in Iraq til march now.. I will be doing all of the hard work myself because I have some skills to do so.. And to save some money..All of your knowledge on this subject will be greatly appriciated..
Hi madbmw

To answer your questions I will need some more information , the LCI headligts you purchased is they with "dynamic drive" ( AHL ) and "Bi-xenon" ? ( what part no. do they have ? ) , the taillights is it they the Org. LED BMW OEM taillights ? , what headlights do you have on your car now ( dynamic drive ( AHL ) and Xenon ) ?

Hi
BenAnd
Old 02-13-2009, 08:12 AM
Members

Ok to start off,, I have the auto leveling I believe it's bi xenon,dynamic drive (which is they turn with the direction of the car) on my car right now..The tail lights are oem led from Gary..The headlights I got from ebey are both 2008 Xenon headlight with xenon ballast and alc module for adaptive system..The onlty part number I can see is the sticker on top which is 1zs 009 994-06 AE... Another number is 7044676-05.. I have bought about $8000 worth of parts while I have been deployed and almost paid the car off now.. I got it right before I deployed to Iraq for 15 months.. So I really couldn't tell you that much about the car execpt for what I remember.. I have worked on alot of cars in the past so i do have some sense about both the electrical and mechanical workings of a car.. I am actually thinking of becoming a bmw mechanic just to get their technical info to pass along to others..

Originally Posted by BenAnd' post='791962' date='Feb 12 2009, 10:49 PM
Hi madbmw

To answer your questions I will need some more information , the LCI headligts you purchased is they with "dynamic drive" ( AHL ) and "Bi-xenon" ? ( what part no. do they have ? ) , the taillights is it they the Org. LED BMW OEM taillights ? , what headlights do you have on your car now ( dynamic drive ( AHL ) and Xenon ) ?

Hi
BenAnd
Old 02-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Members

Has anyone fitted LCI bixenon only front headlights without changing te LCM?
Old 02-14-2009, 06:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by Dav530d' post='792401' date='Feb 13 2009, 11:33 PM
Has anyone fitted LCI bixenon only front headlights without changing te LCM?
it's not gonna work mate !
LCI needs LM2.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by madbmw' post='792145' date='Feb 13 2009, 06:12 PM
Ok to start off,, I have the auto leveling I believe it's bi xenon,dynamic drive (which is they turn with the direction of the car) on my car right now..The tail lights are oem led from Gary..The headlights I got from ebey are both 2008 Xenon headlight with xenon ballast and alc module for adaptive system..The onlty part number I can see is the sticker on top which is 1zs 009 994-06 AE... Another number is 7044676-05.. I have bought about $8000 worth of parts while I have been deployed and almost paid the car off now.. I got it right before I deployed to Iraq for 15 months.. So I really couldn't tell you that much about the car execpt for what I remember.. I have worked on alot of cars in the past so i do have some sense about both the electrical and mechanical workings of a car.. I am actually thinking of becoming a bmw mechanic just to get their technical info to pass along to others..
Hi madbmw

The headlights you got on E-bay , is not 2008 , but 2007 , ( expiry date 10/10-2007 , according to ETK ( BMW part catalog )).

You will have to mount them and the taillights according to the EBA pdf. ( instalation manual pdf. file ) as mentioned/posted earlier in this thread.

You will have to change the LM to the BMW part no. 9-154-944 , I don't know witch no. the ALC units have on the headlights you bought on E-bay ( mounted on the underside of the headlamps ) , it can be that the one's with the no. 6-941-634 , if so , you can try to re-code them , but if you have to buy new one's ( headlights normaly comes without ALC & Ignition Box'es ) go for the one's with the BMW part no. 7-189-312 , they I for sure know can be coded together with your car and the LM 9-154-944

If the headlights ( can't see it in the ETK ) is the one's with "turn light" , DON'T connect Pin 6 in the connector on the headlights ! , in the "inner lens" there is a 55Watt bulb , and when that is turned on for more than 2-5 min. you risc that the lens melt !!! , the bulb gives so much heat from it , that the plastic lens melt and get foggy , Pin 6 is also not mentioed in the EBA ! . ( perhaps for a reason ) , the turn-light have it's owen management, which I we have not quite happened yet, so beware if you try your way of connecting thees bulbs , now you are warned

You have a AHL box under the glove compartment ( not in models after 03/05 ) , in your 2004 you don't have to do anything ! , no re-routing of wire's from this modul to the LM , as written privious in this thread , and seems to confuse you , but as I also wrote in my final explanation , no re-routing needed !

Hope this helps you on , or feel free to PM me.

To Dav530d

Depends of witch headlights you got now , if you already got Xenon , you can fit the Xenon LCI headlights ,and at the same time make "Bi-xenon" on them with out changing the LM , it will just take a littel "wire" work , and mounting a pair of small 24V 2 Watt bulbs to cheat the error message that otherwise will "pop up" if LM not is changed , but you can also choose to alter the ones you have to "Bi-xenon" ( if you got Xenon already ) , it only takes signals from 2 wire to be ( one at each headlight ) to be altered/rerouted

Cheers to you both
BenAnd
Old 02-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Members

BenAnd I thank you for all you have done in regards to these lights.. I think i should have enough info to get it started when I get home..Once again thank you very much..

Originally Posted by BenAnd' post='792934' date='Feb 14 2009, 12:06 PM
Hi madbmw

The headlights you got on E-bay , is not 2008 , but 2007 , ( expiry date 10/10-2007 , according to ETK ( BMW part catalog )).

You will have to mount them and the taillights according to the EBA pdf. ( instalation manual pdf. file ) as mentioned/posted earlier in this thread.

You will have to change the LM to the BMW part no. 9-154-944 , I don't know witch no. the ALC units have on the headlights you bought on E-bay ( mounted on the underside of the headlamps ) , it can be that the one's with the no. 6-941-634 , if so , you can try to re-code them , but if you have to buy new one's ( headlights normaly comes without ALC & Ignition Box'es ) go for the one's with the BMW part no. 7-189-312 , they I for sure know can be coded together with your car and the LM 9-154-944

If the headlights ( can't see it in the ETK ) is the one's with "turn light" , DON'T connect Pin 6 in the connector on the headlights ! , in the "inner lens" there is a 55Watt bulb , and when that is turned on for more than 2-5 min. you risc that the lens melt !!! , the bulb gives so much heat from it , that the plastic lens melt and get foggy , Pin 6 is also not mentioed in the EBA ! . ( perhaps for a reason ) , the turn-light have it's owen management, which I we have not quite happened yet, so beware if you try your way of connecting thees bulbs , now you are warned

You have a AHL box under the glove compartment ( not in models after 03/05 ) , in your 2004 you don't have to do anything ! , no re-routing of wire's from this modul to the LM , as written privious in this thread , and seems to confuse you , but as I also wrote in my final explanation , no re-routing needed !

To Dav530d

Depends of witch headlights you got now , if you already got Xenon , you can fit the Xenon LCI headlights ,and at the same time make "Bi-xenon" on them with out changing the LM , it will just take a littel "wire" work , and mounting a pair of small 24V 2 Watt bulbs to cheat the error message that otherwise will "pop up" if LM not is changed , but you can also choose to alter the ones you have to "Bi-xenon" ( if you got Xenon already ) , it only takes signals from 2 wire to be ( one at each headlight ) to be altered/rerouted

Cheers to you both
BenAnd
Old 02-15-2009, 05:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BenAnd' post='792934' date='Feb 14 2009, 09:06 PM
Hi madbmw

To Dav530d

Cheers to you both
BenAnd
BenAnd,

"mounting a pair of small 24V 2 Watt bulbs to cheat the error message" Can you elaborate on this? Is this for the H8 angeleye bulb?

"it only takes signals from 2 wire to be ( one at each headlight ) to be altered/rerouted" what does this mean?

Haves xenons at the moment.

Dav
Old 02-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BenAnd' post='792934' date='Feb 14 2009, 10:06 PM
To Dav530d

Cheers to you both
BenAnd
Ben, there are a few problems with your suggestions. While a couple of bulbs might solve the error message, if Dave has AHL, they'll be inoperative. Another thing that will not work is the auto level - the bixenons are locked in the "emergency" settings. This is a legal requirement for xenons.
Further more, while the bixenon will work, using high beam will make the old LM also send a signal to the H8 lamps (low speed turn lights) - they are not designed for this and the heat will melt the plastic plexiglass of the inner headlamps. The LCI reduces wattage after a certain parameter to avoid this.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by andy545' post='793295' date='Feb 15 2009, 06:01 PM
Ben, there are a few problems with your suggestions. While a couple of bulbs might solve the error message, if Dave has AHL, they'll be inoperative. Another thing that will not work is the auto level - the bixenons are locked in the "emergency" settings. This is a legal requirement for xenons.
Further more, while the bixenon will work, using high beam will make the old LM also send a signal to the H8 lamps (low speed turn lights) - they are not designed for this and the heat will melt the plastic plexiglass of the inner headlamps. The LCI reduces wattage after a certain parameter to avoid this.
Hi andy545

Yes you have at point in yor post , but the "biggest" problem is that people often ask question without , clearly specifie what the think to do ! , what the already have !, and what they want to change to! , thatsway it is often hard to give a clear answer.

Also if you read my answer you will see I aske for witch headlights he already have , xenon or not ? , and the easy way to make Bi-xenon is for the pre LCI headlights ! , regarding the "rings" on the LCI headlights you will have to mount in 2 relay's + 2 bulb, and what regard the "melting lenses" , yes right , you will have to "cut" the wire WS/GN & WS/BL , ( or as I did alter the bulb to two 21 watt )

What i wrot , we already have tryed out , so for a fact I know it can be done ( and I also know if you ask BMW , not very much is possible ) , as late as today we altered a E60 06/05 535dA with "normaly" Xenon ( without AHL ) to Bi-xenon , and all worke 100% ( auto leveling etc. ) .

And no , I wount discus this issue furtur here , if some one need more information on a specific mod , they can send a PM , this discusion will never end thereto , people , never read what already is written in the hole post , and thatsway aske the same questions "over and over again".

Hi
BenAnd
Old 02-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BenAnd' post='793403' date='Feb 15 2009, 08:47 PM
Hi andy545

Yes you have at point in yor post , but the "biggest" problem is that people often ask question without , clearly specifie what the think to do ! , what the already have !, and what they want to change to! , thatsway it is often hard to give a clear answer.

Also if you read my answer you will see I aske for witch headlights already have , xenon or not , and the easy way to make Bi-xenon , is for the pre LCI headlights , regarding the "rings" on LCI headlights you will have to mount in 2 relay's + 2 bulb, and what regard the "melting lenses" , yes right , you will have to "cut" the wire WS/GN & WS/BL , ( or as I did alter the bulb to two 21 watt )

What i wrot , we already have tryed out , so for a fact I know it can be done ( and I also know if you ask BMW , not very much is possible ) , as late as today we altered a E60 06/05 535dA with "normaly" Xenon ( without AHL ) to Bi-xenon , and all worke 100% ( auto leveling etc. ) .
nice work Ben
indeed mate, I was refering to bixenon AHL - my post refered to actual experience as well ! - this thread is definately getting richer with experience with all kinds of variations of this mod.

Quick Reply: LCI Retrofit Facelift Lights