E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LCI Halogen LED AE & HL Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

double post delete pls
Old 12-28-2011, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Sorry guys about not posting any updates....as it turns out I cut one of my bulb holders too short and have to get creative with fabricating them to hold the LEDs(ill probably epoxy some pvc pipe to them) . I've also ordered some BA9S Led's which i'm waiting for so stay tuned for that.

Meanwhile...although my AE project is still a work in progress...I NEED to throw some HIDs in my fogs.

Rather than create a new thread I thought maybe I could just ask this question here.

I'm gonna go ahead and get DDM Tuning 55W HID's for my lows and simply move my 35W ballast's to my fogs. Whats the best way to match this? I want everything to look like 6000K.

Should I get 8000K 55W Low beams with 6000K 35W fogs? or 6000K all around?? Would it match???
Old 12-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Senior Members

Also thinking about GP Thunder 7500K bulbs for my hi beams....any thoughts guys??

The goal is to MATCH!!
Old 12-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

Does no one have the answer??? I know some of you guys got 55w hids!!
Old 12-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by MORI3L
Does no one have the answer??? I know some of you guys got 55w hids!!
Actually, I don't know anyone personally that's using 55w HID for their low beams in their BMW. I know it's pretty prevalent in the Japanese make communities, but I have not heard of anyone putting it in their E60 (besides fogs, but that's just pointless as well).
Old 12-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Actually, I don't know anyone personally that's using 55w HID for their low beams in their BMW. I know it's pretty prevalent in the Japanese make communities, but I have not heard of anyone putting it in their E60 (besides fogs, but that's just pointless as well).
Dang....I was hoping you would come to the rescue with answers lol

I know theres several people out there with these kits in their halogen HL's.....trying to figure out what temperature to go with and whether or not its too bright or would melt anything(or what the long term effects are)....it seems that most people who go with these HID kits go with 55w los/35w fogs....

Hm.......
Old 12-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Well, here's the thing, 55w HIDs produce quite a hefty amount of heat. Which might burn or bubble the halogen projectors on the E60 since the halogen projector is smaller than the xenon projectors. Notice I said might, since I don't know it to be factual. However, logic would dictate that to be probable.

With that said, I am going to go back to what I told you months ago. Get the 5000K kit from TRS. It'll be brighter than that DDM generic stuff, not to mention much quicker start up and build quality. Plus their conversion kits are engineered to be put into halogen projectors.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:01 AM
Senior Members

Well, here's the thing, 55w HIDs produce quite a hefty amount of heat. Which might burn or bubble the halogen projectors on the E60 since the halogen projector is smaller than the xenon projectors. Notice I said might, since I don't know it to be factual. However, logic would dictate that to be probable.

With that said, I am going to go back to what I told you months ago. Get the 5000K kit from TRS. It'll be brighter than that DDM generic stuff, not to mention much quicker start up and build quality. Plus their conversion kits are engineered to be put into halogen projectors.
To be quite honest...I've been real happy with my DDM kit...thats why I haven't switched over to TRS.....i've read a few negative reviews about DDM's kits but it seems that those reviews are more directed to an older batch/version of their kits(Every company has reliability issues with their products at some point in time). The only con I have about DDM is that sometimes it takes FOREVER for you to get your merchandise.

That being said....ill have to do some independent research on this one I suppose. Correct me if i'm wrong but in theory wouldn't a 55w kit be slightly cooler than those stock 55w halogen bulbs(overall at least)?
Old 12-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MORI3L
To be quite honest...I've been real happy with my DDM kit...thats why I haven't switched over to TRS.....i've read a few negative reviews about DDM's kits but it seems that those reviews are more directed to an older batch/version of their kits(Every company has reliability issues with their products at some point in time). The only con I have about DDM is that sometimes it takes FOREVER for you to get your merchandise.

That being said....ill have to do some independent research on this one I suppose. Correct me if i'm wrong but in theory wouldn't a 55w kit be slightly cooler than those stock 55w halogen bulbs(overall at least)?
Absolutely not. Watt per watt, HIDs are considerably hotter than halogen bulbs.

Like I said, you're free to experiment and buy whatever you want since it's your money; I am just trying to help you by saving you time and money. As about DDMtuning... notice I didn't comment on reliability at all. When I say build quality, I am talking about using good solid wiring, and not cheapy flimsy ballasts. Anyway, I feel like a broken record, repeating myself so many times already.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Absolutely not. Watt per watt, HIDs are considerably hotter than halogen bulbs.

Like I said, you're free to experiment and buy whatever you want since it's your money; I am just trying to help you by saving you time and money. As about DDMtuning... notice I didn't comment on reliability at all. When I say build quality, I am talking about using good solid wiring, and not cheapy flimsy ballasts. Anyway, I feel like a broken record, repeating myself so many times already.
You've got some pretty high standards there sir! Always a good thing though.

Anyhow...so you say they are considerably hotter aye? I remember reading John talk about HID's for AE's and him saying the bulbs are slightly cooler after a forum member was asking about melting issues. Thats why I assumed that perhaps this was consitent with what I was doing. Perhaps its different at 35W then at 55W....time to do some research!

Quick Reply: LCI Halogen LED AE & HL Lighting