E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Just got my 520d remapped - chippeduk

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520D 2006 - Media Package, M-tec Kit, Lighting package, extended lights, Leather seats, Auto High beam. Carbon Black, with black leather.

Hi everyone, I just wanted to share my experience with you all, of my first modification to my car.
I?ve got a 520d, Mtec, Auto, E60 2006. Standard 163hp, 360 Nm.
The main problem I had with my car was the huge delay between putting my foot down, and acceleration. To be honest, I was shit scared about getting anything done to my car, since I didn?t want to lose my warranty.

After a few weeks of looking around, reading everything I can about remaps and chips I decided to get it done. My research lead me to narrowed my choice down to 3 companies, ChippedUK / DMS /Emaps.
DMS wanted ?650, Emaps ?375 and ChippedUK ?350. Now money wasn?t a big issue for me. I was only interested in performance gain, the after service and of course the car?s health (i.e. excess wearing).
Quoted output after mapping:
ChippedUK: 211 HP, 460 Nm
DMS: 208 HP, 406 Nm
Emaps: 196 HP, 420 Nm

After spending a few days chatting to all the companies, I decided to go with ChippedUK, something told that they were the ones to go with. Plus they gave me a better price 

I was directed to Jason?s company B&W autorepairs to get my remapping done. Booked my car in and just got it done today! - http://www.bwautorepairs.co.uk/

When I arrived, I had a little chat with him about the remapping and chipping, etc ? also the failure rates, problems anything that I could think of really; and after that he got to work.
Jason pulls out one of his car computers (autologic) ? if there has ever been something I?ve wanted this is it. It is utterly amazing! Even if you don?t ever get a remap done, just book your car in to have a checkup with Jason, so you can see this computer. Pure love.

First things, first ? he ran a diagnostic on my car to see if there were any problems ? just to let you know, my car has just been in to BMW to have the Idrive updated 2 weeks ago. But to my surprise he found a fault! A46D (unknown fault code)
I was thinking oh shit, this can?t be good. More to the point BMW did bother to tell me about it, or fix it. But I asked him to leave the fault on the system so that I could take it up with BMW.
Now I thought that all remapping was done via the OBD port, but that is actually called live mapping (more expensive but he does offer it); but since it was cheaper, more interesting, and faster he programmed the ECU directly.

After the fault test, he gets the ECU out of my car and gets to work on it.
1) backup of the system
2) Software writing ? the remapping
3) Upload of the new software on the ECU.
The next step was to fit it back in to the car and make sure it starts. And thanks to Jason?s knowledge it works first time, perfectly. (NB in the unlikely event it does start, don?t worry ? it?s just matter of finding the problem ? not too hard for an expert like Jason)
Anyway back to my car ? So the car has started and is completely working ? The autologic computer is back on the car testing for any faults ? all clear.

Now out for a test drive.

Took my car out, and the first thing I noticed was the change in response. Before I?d have to wait like a second before I could get anything to happen, but after the chipping ? it just flew away.
I was driving down the bypass at what I thought was 40MPH (accelerating), but when I looked down at my speedo I was at 70MPH. I thought to myself ? fuck that was quick. I was so used to having to wait a good 10 seconds to get there, I was stunned. I bought my car new from the dealer, and when you first get a car, you want to be in it all the time; after a while it goes away but now it?s just come back!
I?ll be out testing my car later, but for now I?m revising for a test tomorrow!
The engine sounds much better too now. Although I haven?t tested it out on a rolling road, so I can?t tell you the actual output, software should give me what was quoted.
One happy customer here ? Trust me, I don?t think anyone could have done a better job.
Thanks Jason for all your hard work.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW ///M 525xi Carbon Black - Dakota Black Leather - Riegel Ahorn Anthrazit trim - Alloy wheels 135 8Jx18" - Sport Seats - Bi-Xenon Headlights - Nav. System Professional - Bluetooth phone prep. - Auto-Dim. Int + Folding exterior mirrors - Rear Blind (electric) and side blinds - PDC - Foldable rear seats - Trailer Clutch -- 1980 - E21 320 1984 - E21 323i - White 1988 - E34 520i - Light Blue 1995 - E39 528i - Dark Blue -- Momo 17" wheels 2001 - E39 530d - Stahblau -- ///M-kit 2002 - Mini Cooper S - Dark Silver -- wifes car 2006 - E60 525xi - Carbon black -- ///M-kit Mods: Anti carjacking system CJ-1

I'm glad for you that you are happier than before.

I experience the same feeling in my car with this lag between putting foot down and accelerating...
But since i have a petrol engine there want be that much improvement if i get a chip? so...

Is it a manual or automatic transmission you have?
Old 04-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 520D 2006 - Media Package, M-tec Kit, Lighting package, extended lights, Leather seats, Auto High beam. Carbon Black, with black leather.

Hey BMW///M 525xi.

I've got an automatic gearbox. Erm from what i spoke to jason about, petrols dont have as much performance to get out of them but you will see that lag time reduced. I would really recommend it. And im the type of guy never to recommend anything.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:12 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

i can vouch for the lag time reduced. anyway, +1 glad to hear youre happier and enjoying your e60 even more.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Members

biggun,

That's great news for me as I'm about to receive my E61 LCI 520d at the end of the month and an ECU upgrade is the first thing on my list.
I'm trading in a Saab 9-5 Aero which has great performance and I'm a little worried that with the 520d I'm going to get bored.
I've spoken to Chipped UK's dealer / operator here in Portugal and all is set.
Hope I get as much of a kick from my up-grade as you.