E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Just got the ACS lip put on my e60

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 05:03 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i. Weisslicht angel eye bulbs and side marker lenses. Magnaflow exhaust, Black and silver carbon fiber emblems, aluminum race pedals, sport mode modification, LED interior bulbs, bumper reflector
Default Just got the ACS lip put on my e60

So after deciding whether I should purchase a new bumper or just get a lip, I decided to just stick with the lip since it was much cheaper and seemed like it was gonna be cheaper to paint and all that stuff.

Well after about 2 weeks worth of waiting, I finally got it painted and installed. So when I saw the car at first, I could tell there was a bit of a mismatch, but it seemed fine. It wasn't until I got home that I realized just how much of a horrible job they did in getting the paint matched. I gave em the code, they checked my VIN, and everything, and yet still, they managed to screw up the paint job.

They charged me $300 just to prep and paint. I've never had anything painted or anything before. Is this even reasonable? My brother had the same people do work on one of his other cars and it came out perfectly fine.

Would it pretty reasonable for me to just go in there and demand a free repainting of it??
Attached Thumbnails Just got the ACS lip put on my e60-bmw-bumper.jpg  

Last edited by chaudhrysn; 10-05-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:18 PM
Members

I don't think there's any reason these days for places NOT to match paint perfectly. I think it's reasonable to go back.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:20 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 525i. Weisslicht angel eye bulbs and side marker lenses. Magnaflow exhaust, Black and silver carbon fiber emblems, aluminum race pedals, sport mode modification, LED interior bulbs, bumper reflector

ok good, cause the more I look at my car, the more pissed off I get. Im definitely gonna raise hell if they don't repaint it
Old 09-25-2014, 05:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I would go back too with a little kindness and then whip out the ass whipping if needed. That is horrible. Keep in mind that you supplied them with the info for the color as I read your op. The best thing would have been to take the car there and tell them you want the panel painted to match the car. Then the determine what to order. The vin is much help to you in the color but the year and paint code is. Sometimes there is the code with stroke and another number. You have to get it all. And then there is alpine white 300 which has three variants. So if I supplied a shop with 2008 alpine white 300 I would really be taking a big chance that the color matches. If they used a non approved paint then the supplier of that paint created their own recipe to match it since they were never provided with the formula. I found the only alpine white I can get to match my car is Glassurit and even they have about seven shades.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:00 PM
New Members

i checked the panel of my car and it said "A36/7 BMW titangrau II metallic". I gave them all that info along with VIN and stuff, and even drove by the shop when and talked to him when I dropped off the bumper. I figured if they needed more info they would just ask, but I guess I was wrong
Old 09-26-2014, 01:53 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi w m5 tech kit, 2007 Mercedes e63 AMG, 2005 ford expedition

Take that back. First I think $300 is way to much for that job. U can get the complete front bumper painted for that price. And second. There shouldn't b any argument with u stating ure claim about the mismatch of color. It's too damn obvious
Old 09-26-2014, 07:37 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

I'm not a paint and body guy.. but seeing that you're in Texas with blazing heat and sun.. isn't it reasonable to say that your own factory paint is no longer "factory color"? Any time I've had work done, my car was in the shop for the work.. and they matched the paint great.. I know some people have a paint scanner much like home depot.. you can match it better. I've always been warned that a shop might have to "blend" the paint in to match the rest of the body. After a longer time the paint will fade a bit differently.

I still, however, would go to the shop and tell them that it doesn't match and let them see it.. and make it right. $300 for a good job on painting the lip wouldn't be totally unreasonable in my mind.. but close to the maximum price I'd pay. I would have guessed maybe $200 around here.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:55 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi w m5 tech kit, 2007 Mercedes e63 AMG, 2005 ford expedition

I got my front and side skirts pre painted when I ordered them thru umnitza. And the color match was spot on. My vehicle is a 2006. Homestly that doesn't even look like the correct color gray
Old 09-26-2014, 08:24 AM
New Members

My Ride: 04 545i6 Mystic Metallic Blue

Take that back! My car is 10 years old in the hot texas sun, just had a new bumper painted and it was spot on.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:17 PM
New Members

My Ride: Stock 2004 BMW 525i

Originally Posted by 528canyonrot
Take that back! My car is 10 years old in the hot texas sun, just had a new bumper painted and it was spot on.
This ^^^^!

Quick Reply: Just got the ACS lip put on my e60