E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Issue with a connected subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 05:12 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 BMW 520d E60 MSport Business Edition
Default Subwoofer playing only on one RCA wire

Hi everyone,

I have an interesting "issue" with a subwoofer that I've installed in my E60 and I was wondering
if perhaps any of you came across a similar problem and would know what could be the cause.

Details:
- 2010 520d E60 M-Sport Business Edition (European).
- Standard audio, no amplifier in the back.
- Subwoofer: Active Twin Subwoofer Edge EDB12TA - E2 - 1800WATTS

Some background:

I have had this subwoofer installed in my previous car and it worked great, the quality was really good
and I never had any problems with it. When I bought my BMW, I wanted to install the sub in the "new"
car as I got really used to it. Because of the fact that my car has no amplifier in the back, I read online
that a "simple" way of connecting a subwoofer in this model, is by connecting the speaker wires to the small
subs under the two front seats. So I did that, power to the battery in the back, audio from the two subs to a
LOC and into the sub. The LOC that I have takes in 4 speaker wires (L+, L-, R+, R-) and outputs two RCA jacks.

The issue:

Now the issue is quite weird, the subwoofer does play, although not to its full potential. The reason for that
is because it only plays anything when I connect one "jack" wire to it at a time. It does not matter which one,
it plays the same with only the Left wire, or the Right wire connected in, but it does not output any sound
when both of them are plugged in.

I don't really understand what could be causing this. I'm pretty sure that the wiring is done correctly (I mean
plus to plus and minus to minus), I've plugged the sub back into my old car to make sure that it works properly
(and it does).

The issue itself is perhaps not so much of "a big deal". It is just annoying. Whenever the radio is on, I am aware
that I am not getting out 100% from my subwoofer and I don't like that, becasue I can hear that .

Thank you for your time reading this post, and if any of you know what could be causing this, I would be very
grateful if you could share some information about a possible fix.

Regards,

Igor.

Last edited by miotaczsledzi; 11-12-2018 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Improvement to the post title
Old 11-18-2018, 05:45 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 BMW 520d E60 MSport Business Edition

Hi guys,

So I eventually solved this problem by re-wiring the sub.
Turns out that the polarity on the two underseat subs is swapped (??) I'm not really an expert, but (at least in my car)
the labels on the wires are misplaced. Or maybe some previous owner was messing around with it, I don't know.

Anyway, in case someone else runs into a similar problem and is looking for a fix, simply swap your + and - wires on one of the channels.