Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

"Field level" for a Bluetooth connected phone

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 06:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys; on my MY2006 October Production E61 I ordered the Bluetooth connection.
When I received the car I paired my Razor V3 very somply and everything went fine.
As I had a spare V600, I also ordered a V600 snap in adapater which I installed just removing the plastic cover inside the arm rest box and snapping the v600 inside.
The phone began to charge so I assume ALSO the antenna cable si already wired (otherwise I would be obliged to connect also the power to the snap in adapter, or not?).

Evrything works correctly but I noticed that as for my WITHOUT_SNAP_IN Bluetooth Razor connection, also for the WITH_SNAP_IN Bluetooth V600 connection, the only icon that shows up in the Idrive is the Antenna Icon WITHOUT the Field level at its right.

Is it normal or should I also see the field level?
Do you think it couls be the missing of the link in the trunk or whatever? (I've heard that OCT.05 Production cars with Bluetooth option SHOULD already be connected as for the antenna link; as a metter of fact I simply snapped in the Snap in adapter to have my V600 chraged).

Thanks
Old 12-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Not sure I have your problem description correct so I am going to ask for clarification, but provide some trouble shooting (TS) hints as well.

Under no circumstances do you see relative Field strength bars? But you can make calls and no reports of poor reception on either end?

If this is so, try pairing only the V3, leaving the v600 out of range of the car and see what you get.

Should see Field Strength bars. If not I cannot believe the cradle is at fault as it now has nothing to do with your Bluetooth operation in this configuration. What does the phone show when not near the car, good Signal Strength bars or no? Depending on this answer is whether or not to continue TS.

If you do see bars, reverse the process. Leave V3 out of range and pair up the v600 without placing in cradle. Again normal operation should give you some bars in Field Strength. If so then plug in the v600 into the cradle. If bars slowly disappear then the antenna wire from cradle to antenna is not connected and most likely a termination plug is in the line.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Members

Under no circumstances do you see relative Field strength bars? But you can make calls and no reports of poor reception on either end?
Exactly. No Field strenght bars but no poor reception

If this is so, try pairing only the V3, leaving the v600 out of range of the car and see what you get.
That's the same, no strenght bars and good reception as well.

Should see Field Strength bars. If not I cannot believe the cradle is at fault as it now has nothing to do with your Bluetooth operation in this configuration. What does the phone show when not near the car, good Signal Strength bars or no? Depending on this answer is whether or not to continue TS.
I do see bars on the phone with both of them but never on the display of the Idrive, either with the snap in adapter (v600) or without (V3).
Are the bars supposed to appear even just with the bluetooth connection without cradle?
Thanks for your help
Old 12-19-2005, 11:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i (SE), Auto-Dim Int + Folding Ext. Mirrors, Automatic Gearbox, Bluetooth Telephone Preparation, BMW 6 Disc CD Changer, Heated Front Seats, HiFi Speaker System, Leather interior, Navigation System - Business, Sports Suspension, Star Spoke 123 8Jx18" + Run Flat Tyres. M-Tech Kit.

For what it's worth: I have a V635, and had a V600 before, and neither have ever displayed signal strength on the actual i-drive screen, and thats on a couple of different CIP versions also (19.01 most lately). But I have no BT or signal problems whatsoever. Purely going by screenshots I've seen from various other users on the forum, I'd assumed that this was perhaps dependant on the actual make and model of the phone in use? (so I'd assumed not on the one's I've had)
Old 12-20-2005, 12:28 AM
Members

Thanks.
So, I would think that it is not a problem; just circumstances.
Luca