E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod & USB Interface

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 11/2007 E60 LCI 530d ///M Sport - Deep Sea Blue - M Double Sp 172 19" Mixed Wheels - Sports Automatic Transmission - Cream/Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Wood Bamboo - Full Visibility Package - Full Media Package - Heated Seats - Auto-Dim Int+Ext Folding Mirrors - M Rear Spoiler - Sun Protection Glazing - Voice Control

Hi,

I thought I had read in this forum that there is a newer version of the iPod interface retrofit kit which now also included a USB interface, the whole thing replacing my 6 CD changer ??

I have searched high and low and cannot find it again. Can anyone enlighten me. I was so sure that I even thought I had downloaded a document relating to it for the 5 series cars.

Am I going mad !! ???

I would now like to cosider this now as although there is now an official 6FL retrofit for the USB interface, my local dealer has just quoted me ?928.00 to have the installation done !! OUCH !
Old 04-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Melv' post='834075' date='Apr 2 2009, 12:40 PM
Hi,

I thought I had read in this forum that there is a newer version of the iPod interface retrofit kit which now also included a USB interface, the whole thing replacing my 6 CD changer ??

I have searched high and low and cannot find it again. Can anyone enlighten me. I was so sure that I even thought I had downloaded a document relating to it for the 5 series cars.

Am I going mad !! ???

I would now like to cosider this now as although there is now an official 6FL retrofit for the USB interface, my local dealer has just quoted me ?928.00 to have the installation done !! OUCH !
I just bought a Ipod kit from my dealer for ?165+vat, it was an updated part number but not a usb interface. But that is not my main issue my main issue is holy crap ?928 to have the kit supplied and installed? It takes 15 minutes to remove the cd changer and install the interface then a software update is done to activate it which only cost me ?92. My dealer told me they charge 30 minutes to fit and 1 hour to code, i fitted it myself.

Go to another dealer.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

You paid HOW MUCH!! Why didn't you go for the Dension?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 11/2007 E60 LCI 530d ///M Sport - Deep Sea Blue - M Double Sp 172 19" Mixed Wheels - Sports Automatic Transmission - Cream/Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Wood Bamboo - Full Visibility Package - Full Media Package - Heated Seats - Auto-Dim Int+Ext Folding Mirrors - M Rear Spoiler - Sun Protection Glazing - Voice Control

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='834159' date='Apr 2 2009, 06:48 PM
Dont worry Bruce, I havn't gone ahead with the 6FL retrofit which is the ?928 as that price is simply insane. I am not really bothered about the iPod stuff as it is the USB interface that I wanted but I was sure that the new iPod interface had USB as well ??

I am really unsure about the Denison as I read mixed reports and dont want to do anything that will sacrifce my warranty.

For sure I wont be paying nearly a grand though as that is obscene !! They quoted 5 hours to do the 6FL. I think the parts amount to around ?400 the rest is labour.

As the king of MODS, have you done a 6FL yet?

Do you know if the ACM upgrade is cost effective as I have heard that it has USB for both audio and video ??

Cheers
Old 04-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='834159' date='Apr 2 2009, 01:48 PM
I'd love a dension gateway 500 but the ?350 price tag puts me off, I opted for the standard oem kit + with some of the money i saved i bought a genuine 2nd hand msport bumper for ?99 on ebay .
Old 04-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

The ACM does not have USB, the USB attachment is extra over and above the ACM. The thing that put me off with the USB for ACM is that is continues to use the poor AUX port.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:12 PM
jer
Members

I'm still dirthering, I've no IPOD so USB stick or A2DP from Nokia N96. Car is pre line change 530d with Bus Nav.

- Dension's used to cost ?235 with a group discount now for supposed ex rate reasons ?321 new + fitting I have been quoted ?450 all in plus the bluetooth module plus a reprogram (because Synter forgot to add MP3 last time). Overall they have priced themsleves out of the market. A real black mark is that most of their UK dealers on their site do not stock it. Dension UK should get their act together.

- IO Play not certain it works with MOST I have a question on this but its cheap and chearful.

- Parott MKI9100/9200 most of the bugs fixed but at 20 watts RMS is the amp good enough (60 from IO Play)

- AUX port I could use this with the phone. What does this cost? Sound issues - See Bruce.

- USB ideal but described here sounds problematic. Plus more reprogramming for uncertain results.

Which way, I'm not DIY er.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Members

I'm not interested in an iPod connection either but a USB connection would be good (my mp3 player isn't an iPod) so I'm in the same position. I don't want to use an Aux port as they sound rubbish but if the USB retrofit just uses the same then there's no point getting that either.
So, how can you get a USB connection to the iDrive with good sound quality?
My car is also a pre LCI E61 530D with Business Nav.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='835013' date='Apr 3 2009, 09:18 AM
I'm not interested in an iPod connection either but a USB connection would be good (my mp3 player isn't an iPod) so I'm in the same position. I don't want to use an Aux port as they sound rubbish but if the USB retrofit just uses the same then there's no point getting that either.
So, how can you get a USB connection to the iDrive with good sound quality?
My car is also a pre LCI E61 530D with Business Nav.
This is where the 6FL retrofit comes in as it does not use the AUX port as it is the equivalent of the factory fit version. For anyone interested, the part number for the 6FL retrofit kit for the E60 is 65 41 0 444 936 there may be additional requirements depending upon the spec of the vehicle you are fitting it to.

I would be really interested to hear what price others get quoted for this retrofit from other dealers.

Cheers

Melv
Old 04-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E61 520d SE (it's got Active Steering which I'm having trouble getting used to!)

Has anyone installed the dension icelink one? I.e. The one that just connects through the aerial socket? Im another one who cant justify paying out 350 for a gateway 500 :-). If it means having to control the ipod manually i can live with that!

Quick Reply: iPod & USB Interface