E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the iCarplay by Monster. It takes over good radio stations! Plus it charges the iPod. I recommend it if you do not have Aux input.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

I'm using the belkin option together with aux in and power outlet in the glove box.
Sound quality is pretty good compared to the standard line out and the airplay/itune options. However, my glove power outlet is continually powered! So there is no auto switching on and off.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:03 AM
Members

I took a feed off the cigarette lighter for the very reason that it was switched. It was a real pain but worth it. The Belkin charger and aux in lead are now hidden in the back of the centre consol where I fed the additional lighter socket.

I only wish you could get a bracket like the one Dension supply that is 1) Black and 2) Neat and compact so when you slide the ipod in it makes connection without the need to plug in a connector
Old 06-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by jeremy' date='Jun 3 2005, 01:03 AM
I took a feed off the cigarette lighter for the very reason that it was switched.? It was a real pain but worth it.? The Belkin charger and aux in lead are now hidden in the back of the centre consol where I fed the additional lighter socket.

I only wish you could get a bracket like the one Dension supply that is 1) Black and 2) Neat and compact so when you slide the ipod in it makes connection without the need to plug in a connector
[snapback]135737[/snapback]
Do you keep your iPod in the center armrest compartment?

That's where I'm planning to put mine, so I can easily reach it, but I'm going to use the Griffin AirClick remote (stored in the drivers door cubby) to turn it on when I start the car (the Belkin car kit pauses it when the ignition is turned off & power switches off, and the iPod turns itself off a few minutes after being paused, so I only have to manually resume playing after starting the car). My only concern is it's such a small, pretty well airtight space, and might get hot (in the summer the A/C vent will keep it cool, but that won't help in the winter). Any issues with that?

I'm hardwiring the Belkin car kit to the power wires of one of the cigarette lighters in the rear center console & storing it inside out of sight.

I'm going to have the aux adapter installed in the glove box, and run a hidden mini-stereo wire from there to inside the center console where the Belkin car kit is. Sounds like you did pretty much the same thing.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='Jun 2 2005, 02:36 PM
[quote name='stream' date='Jun 2 2005, 01:24 PM'][quote name='bdav' date='Jun 2 2005, 08:49 AM']Airclick? WIreless remote thingy - think its about 35 bucks. Could get one of those, wich would allow you to change track / turn it on and off (i think).

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...lick/index.php
[snapback]135487[/snapback]
This might be the ticket! As I understand the way the iPod works (those who own one--please confirm) is if it's plugged into the Belkin adapter, which is plugged into a switched outlet, when I turn the car off and the power stops going to the iPod, it will pause automatically and then shut off after a few minutes. Then when I start the car, I would need to press the play button to resume playing where it paused before.

If this is the case, I could leave this remote in the door storage area, where it would be easily accessible, and only have to press it when I start the car.

For those who have iPods--am I correctly understanding how the iPod works? If not, any suggestions?
[snapback]135549[/snapback]
[/quote]

Why not just mount the iPod where you can reach it from the steering wheel, like so:

[snapback]135571[/snapback]
[/quote]

It would be more convenient there, but I like it out of sight--much cleaner look, and also away from prying eyes...
Old 06-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Members

Mine is mounted to the left (RHD) of the centre consol, just by the switch panel. Use a Brodit mount double-sided taped to the trim. Belkin wire comes out from under trim panel