E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I'm getting tired of changing the CDs in my CD changer--and waiting for iPod integration in iDrive--so I think I'll buy an iPod, get the aux input installed in the glove box, and use a Belkin Auto Kit for iPod w/ Dock Connector:
iPod Questions-belkin_ipod.jpg
Belkin iPod auto kit
which I'll plug in the socket under the passenger side dash. The Belkin has a line out connection for the iPod to connect directly into the aux input, which provides superior sound quality over plugging into the headphone jack.

My question is, since the electric socket it will be plugged into is switched, when I turn the car off, will the iPod turn off automatically, and back on again where the song left off when I turn the car on again? Or will I have to reach in the glove box, turn on the iPod & select a playlist every time I start the car, and turn it off manually when I turn off the car?

If the answer is manually turn the iPod on and off, I don't think Steve Jobs will be getting my $299 until/unless a true iDrive integration is available...
Old 06-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

Steve Jobs won't be getting your $299
Old 06-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

All you have to do is hit the play/pause button once to wake up the iPod, and again to restart the music. When you turn off your car just hit play/pause to stop the iPod. It's not rocket science.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:39 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='Jun 2 2005, 01:30 AM
All you have to do is hit the play/pause button once to wake up the iPod, and again to restart the music. When you turn off your car just hit play/pause to stop the iPod. It's not rocket science.
[snapback]135387[/snapback]
Not rocket science...just a hassle. I don't want to have to reach over, open the glove box, and turn the iPod on/off every time I get in/out of the car.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:49 AM
Members

Airclick? WIreless remote thingy - think its about 35 bucks. Could get one of those, wich would allow you to change track / turn it on and off (i think).

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...lick/index.php
Old 06-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Members

The iPod will pause when you turn the car off cos the power is cut to it, but you do have to 'wake it up' manually
Old 06-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bdav' date='Jun 2 2005, 08:49 AM
Airclick? WIreless remote thingy - think its about 35 bucks. Could get one of those, wich would allow you to change track / turn it on and off (i think).

[snapback]135487[/snapback]
This might be the ticket! As I understand the way the iPod works (those who own one--please confirm) is if it's plugged into the Belkin adapter, which is plugged into a switched outlet, when I turn the car off and the power stops going to the iPod, it will pause automatically and then shut off after a few minutes. Then when I start the car, I would need to press the play button to resume playing where it paused before.

If this is the case, I could leave this remote in the door storage area, where it would be easily accessible, and only have to press it when I start the car.

For those who have iPods--am I correctly understanding how the iPod works? If not, any suggestions?
Old 06-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by stream' date='Jun 2 2005, 01:24 PM
[quote name='bdav' date='Jun 2 2005, 08:49 AM']Airclick? WIreless remote thingy - think its about 35 bucks. Could get one of those, wich would allow you to change track / turn it on and off (i think).

[snapback]135487[/snapback]
This might be the ticket! As I understand the way the iPod works (those who own one--please confirm) is if it's plugged into the Belkin adapter, which is plugged into a switched outlet, when I turn the car off and the power stops going to the iPod, it will pause automatically and then shut off after a few minutes. Then when I start the car, I would need to press the play button to resume playing where it paused before.

If this is the case, I could leave this remote in the door storage area, where it would be easily accessible, and only have to press it when I start the car.

For those who have iPods--am I correctly understanding how the iPod works? If not, any suggestions?
[snapback]135549[/snapback]
[/quote]

Why not just mount the iPod where you can reach it from the steering wheel, like so:

Old 06-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

Ya, I got the AirClick... It's really nice, works great too
Old 06-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Members

Stream

You are correct

Quick Reply: iPod Questions