E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

One tip is never to use the line-out jack that some of these integrated chargers provide, because they introduce a good deal of noise into the signal (due to the proximity of the line-out wires to the power wires probably). Use the headphone jack on top with volume set at max.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:55 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='Sep 27 2005, 12:50 PM
One tip is never to use the line-out jack that some of these integrated chargers provide, because they introduce a good deal of noise into the signal (due to the proximity of the line-out wires to the power wires probably). Use the headphone jack on top with volume set at max.
[snapback]175903[/snapback]
That's the opposite of what I've gathered after researching a few forums. I'm using the Monster iCarCharger, and connecting to the line out jack. From what I've read, you don't want to use the headphone jack, since it is filtered and tailored toward headphone use and the quality & volume level of a headphone simply cannot compete with your car stereo. The headphone jack sound quality and bass levels are greatly reduced. The bottom dock connector (which transfers audio out of the iCarCharger's 3.5mm port) generates pure, unfiltered sound.

Some connectors, such as the Belkin, amplify the line out, which will cause distortion, but the Monster adapter line out is a pure line out.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by stream' date='Sep 27 2005, 02:55 PM
[quote name='Merzbow' date='Sep 27 2005, 12:50 PM']One tip is never to use the line-out jack that some of these integrated chargers provide, because they introduce a good deal of noise into the signal (due to the proximity of the line-out wires to the power wires probably). Use the headphone jack on top with volume set at max.
That's the opposite of what I've gathered after researching a few forums. I'm using the Monster iCarCharger, and connecting to the line out jack. From what I've read, you don't want to use the headphone jack, since it is filtered and tailored toward headphone use and the quality & volume level of a headphone simply cannot compete with your car stereo. The headphone jack sound quality and bass levels are greatly reduced. The bottom dock connector (which transfers audio out of the iCarCharger's 3.5mm port) generates pure, unfiltered sound.

Some connectors, such as the Belkin, amplify the line out, which will cause distortion, but the Monster adapter line out is a pure line out.
[snapback]175970[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, from my actual measurements and experience, the conventional wisdom is wrong here. The other day I spent hours actually testing this. I had the iPod hooked into my Alpine setup. Level on the headphone jack at max volume was almost identical to the line out level. Plus, there was no difference in sound quality at all - there shouldn't be, they should be going through the same DAC after all.

Also, to listen for noise I cranked the volume on my Alpine up to 35 with no music playing on the iPod, but with it hooked up. Using the line-out jack from my Monster adapter, there was a great deal of interference ONLY when the adapter was plugged into the cig lighter - I would pull it, noise went away, plug it in, it came back. Perhaps this is something only noticeable on a quality aftermarket system like mine , but it is 100% there. The noise on the headphone jack was very low, the same as on the line-out jack unplugged from the lighter.

Anyways, I'm ditching the iPod setup soon so it doesn't matter to me. Car PC with all-optical transport to the Alpine coming up...
Old 09-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought Monster Low Profile Charger and I connect line out to Aux. I play a song "Until the last moment" of Yanni and trying both direct line out and head-phone output. Direct line-out has a little lower volume compared to head-phone, and noise level is also lower than head-phone output. I think I'm going to stick with line-out.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005.5 545i, Silver Grey, Dakota Black, Anthracite, Premium, Cold, Sport, L7, Nav, Fold Down Seats, Sunshades, Sirius. 2006 330i, Silver, Black, Natural Poplar, Sport, 6 speed, Cold, Premium 2002 330xi Black, Black, Premium, Cold, Premium Sound. (Sold) 1997 540i (sold) 1985 635i Euro (sold to family) 1985 535i (sold)

3. Have the iPod recharged whilst cradled.

On my car there is an Aux charger (cig lighter type) underneath the glove box. It is in a good place to hide wires from view.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:12 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='Sep 28 2005, 07:22 AM
[quote name='stream' date='Sep 27 2005, 02:55 PM'][quote name='Merzbow' date='Sep 27 2005, 12:50 PM']One tip is never to use the line-out jack that some of these integrated chargers provide, because they introduce a good deal of noise into the signal (due to the proximity of the line-out wires to the power wires probably). Use the headphone jack on top with volume set at max.

[snapback]175970[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, from my actual measurements and experience, the conventional wisdom is wrong here. The other day I spent hours actually testing this. I had the iPod hooked into my Alpine setup. Level on the headphone jack at max volume was almost identical to the line out level. Plus, there was no difference in sound quality at all - there shouldn't be, they should be going through the same DAC after all.

Also, to listen for noise I cranked the volume on my Alpine up to 35 with no music playing on the iPod, but with it hooked up. Using the line-out jack from my Monster adapter, there was a great deal of interference ONLY when the adapter was plugged into the cig lighter - I would pull it, noise went away, plug it in, it came back. Perhaps this is something only noticeable on a quality aftermarket system like mine , but it is 100% there. The noise on the headphone jack was very low, the same as on the line-out jack unplugged from the lighter.

Anyways, I'm ditching the iPod setup soon so it doesn't matter to me. Car PC with all-optical transport to the Alpine coming up...
[snapback]176023[/snapback]
[/quote]

your research is true, this has to do with impedence from the ipod output from headset outlet and the adaptor.
From the adaptor, the impedence is much higher. if you route your signal to a high impedence input of your power amp, and it matches, you will not hear any noises. (barring good grounding)

If you take the output from the headset, it is matched to headset type of impedence.
in this case, if you route to a high impedence input, less distortion. but if you route to a low impedence input, the mismatch impedence will cause higher drain and thus more distortion especially at high volumes, because clipping occurs at the mismatch.

this is the reason why some has distortion from the adaptor and not the headset output. some do not experience a difference or vice versa. it's all in the impedence.

i tried ipod (all five generations in my ride) the best output is through my headset output to a high impedence input of my amp with the 60GB ipod photo.

now, i am a happy owner of a E60 with a Macmini on board. i play DVD, TV and itunes with it....one more thing, the GPS i have on board is much better than the OEM GPS! ALL this features are through the CID screen of our E60.

yes, i matched the output of my macmini into the high impedence input, just awesome sound!
Old 09-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 2005 535d Sport, Carbon Black, 19" M-light Double Spoke 172 8J Alloys, Media Package, Bi-Xenons, Heated seats, Black Dakota leather, Sun protection glass.

Hi Stu,
I'd wait on the iPod nano for a while. Apple announced yesterday that they had a 'bad batch' where in some instances the screens cracked - for no apparent reason. As this happened Apple's service centre increased the prices of replacement screens - nice. Give it a few weeks.

Re: 530dSE, I was lucky, I dithered long enough to chance upon the 535d Sport.

regards
Grafiker
Old 09-28-2005, 03:58 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 2005 535d Sport, Carbon Black, 19" M-light Double Spoke 172 8J Alloys, Media Package, Bi-Xenons, Heated seats, Black Dakota leather, Sun protection glass.

Oops posted in wrong area. Sorry.

Grafiker
Old 09-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Members

Hi Stu,
I'd wait on the iPod nano for a while. Apple announced yesterday that they had a 'bad batch' where in some instances the screens cracked - for no apparent reason. As this happened Apple's service centre increased the prices of replacement screens - nice. Give it a few weeks.

Re: 530dSE, I was lucky, I dithered long enough to chance upon the 535d Sport.

regards
Grafiker
Old 09-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Members

Does the Transpod work with the Ipod Nano?

Quick Reply: iPod Installation