E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

IPOD Aux Cable

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Performance Center Delivery May 19, 2006: 2007 BMW 550i, Black Saphire, Beige Interior with Poplar Wood, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Navigation, Power Shades, SMG, M Aero Package, Rear Heating,
Red face

Questions regarding E60 IPOD interface:

1. What is the difference between the new IPOD interface and the Aux connection on the 2007 models? Are they not the same thing just in different places? Does the new IPOD interface in the glove box come with the cable for the IPOD?

2. Where can I get a Aux cable for the IPOD that is compatible with the E60 Aux input? Who makes them (Monster?)? Which won is recommended.

Can anyone share pictures of the interfaces and cables?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Members

1. With the new Ipod interface, you can control the player via idrive. The AUX input system is simply a line-in port and you can hook up any portable music player to it, but you will not be able to control it via idrive.
2. You can pretty much get one from any electrical store, but I prefer Monter cable myself.

Another thing that you should consider is a line-out adapter for the ipod instead of the headphone port. I find that it give better sound quality. You can get one here: http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/
Old 04-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i (10/03) Sport, 6, bk/bk, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Active Headlights, Tinted Windows, Clear Bra! Winter wheels 'plastic dipped'

now that i have a slick aux in connection, i can't wait for the new ipod connection...here's a pic of my connection in the ashtray...

Franko
Attached Thumbnails IPOD Aux Cable-bmw_feb_06_02small7.jpg   IPOD Aux Cable-bmw_feb_06_026small.jpg  
Old 04-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

While I (we) are waiting for the new iPod connection how should we connect our favorite music source?

I first tried the US$80 "Kensington Digital FM Transmitter" I could barely hear it - even though I turned up the system volume (It takes the signal feed from the iPods line out port. It went back to the retailer. :thumbsdown:

I read about the good reports of the DLO Trans-Doc on this board and gave the DLO TransDoc.micro (~ US$ 50) a try (from an Amazon eTaler - so I could return it if necessary.) :'(

While the volume is still a bit soft, and one can hear background noise at about -30 db, it is a workable solution. Better than no iPod or transcribing a large portion of one's collection to mp3 CDs.

I am happy for now.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Members

My Ride: Performance Center Delivery May 19, 2006: 2007 BMW 550i, Black Saphire, Beige Interior with Poplar Wood, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Navigation, Power Shades, SMG, M Aero Package, Rear Heating,

Originally Posted by Hopco' post='275508' date='Apr 28 2006, 11:00 PM
While I (we) are waiting for the new iPod connection how should we connect our favorite music source?

I first tried the US$80 "Kensington Digital FM Transmitter" I could barely hear it - even though I turned up the system volume (It takes the signal feed from the iPods line out port. It went back to the retailer. :thumbsdown:

I read about the good reports of the DLO Trans-Doc on this board and gave the DLO TransDoc.micro (~ US$ 50) a try (from an Amazon eTaler - so I could return it if necessary.) :'(

While the volume is still a bit soft, and one can hear background noise at about -30 db, it is a workable solution. Better than no iPod or transcribing a large portion of one's collection to mp3 CDs.

I am happy for now.

I think the DLO Trans-Doc is the best so far. In my wife's Volvo XC90 we hear now static and have yet to get interferance. The sound quality is OK.

So I guess we wait for the availability of the IPOD interface cause I like the propospect of being able to control it via IDRIVE.

Does anyone know when it will become available? I will call my SA tomorrow to see if I can get in installed before I take delivery. I will let you guys know what I find out.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Members

I think July is when they will starting having the iPod interface as an option. But you know BMW, it would probably be December before they get it right.

Originally Posted by ACEE' post='275522' date='Apr 28 2006, 11:34 PM
I think the DLO Trans-Doc is the best so far. In my wife's Volvo XC90 we hear now static and have yet to get interferance. The sound quality is OK.

So I guess we wait for the availability of the IPOD interface cause I like the propospect of being able to control it via IDRIVE.

Does anyone know when it will become available? I will call my SA tomorrow to see if I can get in installed before I take delivery. I will let you guys know what I find out.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:36 AM
Senior Members

Just get the Aux input fitted - it's fine

And if BMW do get of their backside and get this ipod connection sorted then - if it's good enough it's going to be worth paying for.

But in the meantime ... get the aux.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Get the AUX input, and remove the capacitors/resistors.

I did some detailed instructions with pictures on how to do this in the DIY forum.

AUX cable DIY