E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod Addition

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 06:16 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

can a 2004 530i be recoded to play mp3 in the indash cd player?
Old 11-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by cleung' post='720996' date='Nov 14 2008, 09:16 AM
can a 2004 530i be recoded to play mp3 in the indash cd player?
Only if you have Navigation... See the PDF below for all the details.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=attach...st&id=81710
Old 11-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='721288' date='Nov 14 2008, 01:45 PM

That sucks, thanks for the info though
Old 11-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi, Monaco Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota Leather, Dark Popular Trim, Steptronic, Premium Pkg., Cold Weather Pkg., Heated Rear Seats, Navigation, Sirius, 2004 330cic convertible, Mystic Blue Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Myrtle Wood Trim, Rare Myrtle Wood & Leather Sport Steering Wheel, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Xenons, Navigation, Heated Seats, Park Distance Control 2004 R1200C Montauk Motorcycle, Artic Blue Metallic, Servo ABS Linked Brakes, Chrome Pkg, Fog Lamps, Heated Grips

Originally Posted by jagbagri' post='720781' date='Nov 14 2008, 01:36 AM
I took one of the similar SIB (can't remember which one) to the dealer couple of weeks ago as my in-dash cd player did not recognize the mp3 cd. They coded the car for mp3 retrofit. Now my in-dash cd recognizes and plays the mp3 but the cd changer still does not play/recognize this mp3 cd.
You mean, if I install the gateway 500, which I plan to, will still not work without a trip to the dealer for another programming? I though all you need to do is retrofit the car for mp3 and it should recognize the ipod/denson unit.
N-O!

For the 100th time , CD Changer programming (which allows iPod/Dennison adapter recognition) must be performed (at your cost, not covered under warranty or SI in addition to MP3 compatibilty programming. (If you get your dealer to do BOTH for free than you're a better negotiator than I )

These are 2 completely different programming updates for the E60. BMW considers MP3 compatibilty a "repair" and is a (free) warranty issue for earlier E60's but adding CD-Changer recognition/menu selection to iDrive is considered an UPGRADE at your expense by BMW and they will not reimburse the dealer for doing it so that is why you get to pay the dealer $100~120 or so .
Old 11-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='721288' date='Nov 14 2008, 02:45 PM

Not sure if that is definativly true I have a Aug 03 build date 530 and I have the ipod retofit in my car and I can play mp's in the dash.

Now I did have my radio/cd player replaced once for the skipping problem and I am not sure if they put in a later date player, but again my 04 530 plays mp3 in dash, has the ipod retrofit, and has intergrated bluetooth and I dont't have Navigation
Old 11-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by buddy' post='721529' date='Nov 14 2008, 05:31 PM
Not sure if that is definativly true I have a Aug 03 build date 530 and I have the ipod retofit in my car and I can play mp's in the dash.

Now I did have my radio/cd player replaced once for the skipping problem and I am not sure if they put in a later date player, but again my 04 530 plays mp3 in dash, has the ipod retrofit, and has intergrated bluetooth and I dont't have Navigation
If you are able to play MP3's in dash and have Bluetooth in a Aug 03 built car without Nav, then what happened is you got a newer M-ASK unit which is capable of playing the MP3's and provides BT functionality. I too had issues with my in dash CD player and the dealer replaced it with a rebuilt version of the old unit per BMW guidelines. No MP3 capability after the replacement. In hind sight, I was not aware of the MP3 details and would have happily paid the difference for a newer unit. There must not have been an available rebuilt old unit for you so they gave you a newer one. It has been know to happen.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='721531' date='Nov 14 2008, 06:40 PM
If you are able to play MP3's in dash and have Bluetooth in a Aug 03 built car without Nav, then what happened is you got a newer M-ASK unit which is capable of playing the MP3's and provides BT functionality. I too had issues with my in dash CD player and the dealer replaced it with a rebuilt version of the old unit per BMW guidelines. No MP3 capability after the replacement. In hind sight, I was not aware of the MP3 details and would have happily paid the difference for a newer unit. There must not have been an available rebuilt old unit for you so they gave you a newer one. It has been know to happen.

That is a very good explanation and the possible outcome my car used to stay at the dealership being the first build and sold in Richmond Va,

They also did replace the TCU for me for free when they could not get the BTUM to work in the car thus given me the intergrated bluetooth

The best part of all this is that it was done completly free I did not pay for jack except the programing of the unit about 70.00 dollars I think and that included the tech putting in the ipod unit.

Thanks again cause I always get confused on what is the M-ask, the CCC, the TCU and what they actually control in the car
Old 11-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by buddy' post='721549' date='Nov 14 2008, 06:04 PM
That is a very good explanation and the possible outcome my car used to stay at the dealership being the first build and sold in Richmond Va,

They also did replace the TCU for me for free when they could not get the BTUM to work in the car thus given me the intergrated bluetooth

The best part of all this is that it was done completly free I did not pay for jack except the programing of the unit about 70.00 dollars I think and that included the tech putting in the ipod unit.

Thanks again cause I always get confused on what is the M-ask, the CCC, the TCU and what they actually control in the car
I think my last post was not totally correct. It is of course the new TCU which provides the BT functionality. Your new M-ASK unit provided the MP3 capability. M-ASK is the computer used in non-Nav cars while the CCC is the computer used in Nav equipped cars.

Must have a bit trying being such an early owner! Glad you didn't have to pay for the upgrades...
Old 11-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='721561' date='Nov 14 2008, 07:18 PM
I think my last post was not totally correct. It is of course the new TCU which provides the BT functionality. Your new M-ASK unit provided the MP3 capability. M-ASK is the computer used in non-Nav cars while the CCC is the computer used in Nav equipped cars.

Must have a bit trying being such an early owner! Glad you didn't have to pay for the upgrades...

Yeah it was a trying experiance but it kept the mileage down on my car it also allowed me to see how great of a car we have and how awsome of a service group that i have thanks again for the clarification on the modules.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

As mentioned many times, there are four types of HU:

1. M-ASK Business, standard in EU, no mp3
2. M-ASK Professional, standard in US, mp3 capable
3. M-ASK Business Nav, mp3 capable
4. CCC Professional Nav, mp3 + many more

I have posted this info before and I remember staying that M-ASK Business is not TEXT capable. Turns out that this is not true. For more info have a look at this thread. Bluetooth has nothing to do with your HU and can be retrofitted with any type of HU.

Quick Reply: iPod Addition