E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod Addition

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 E60 530i Alpine White, Premium & Cold Weather Package

I am not sure if I should ask this here or in the DIY section but I will try here frist.

I have read all the posts about the iPod intergration and ordered the kit from The BMW Store in Cinn., OH. I burned a MP3 CD and it plays in my E60. Would this indicate that all I need to do is install and it should work? I have the CD prewire and found the plug although the fiber optic is not in the plug. I think I know what to do with that. Am I missing anything? I was hoping to avoid a trip to the dealer as the closest one is over an hour away.

The car is a 2006 model with no Nav.

Michael
Old 11-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Nothing else I can think of. Give it a shot. Only problem I can think of would be that since the car never had the CD changer, the iDrive might not "know" to look for it. But worth a shot. Having Nav or not makes no difference, I had the iPod adapter installed in my '04 545 and I did not have Nav though I did have the CD changer...
Old 11-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Members

I installed the interface today and the BMW symbol is on the iPod but it will not play or be controled by the iDrive. I can play MP3 but still no control of iPod. Any ideas or do I need a reprogram?

Michael
Old 11-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi, Monaco Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota Leather, Dark Popular Trim, Steptronic, Premium Pkg., Cold Weather Pkg., Heated Rear Seats, Navigation, Sirius, 2004 330cic convertible, Mystic Blue Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Myrtle Wood Trim, Rare Myrtle Wood & Leather Sport Steering Wheel, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Xenons, Navigation, Heated Seats, Park Distance Control 2004 R1200C Montauk Motorcycle, Artic Blue Metallic, Servo ABS Linked Brakes, Chrome Pkg, Fog Lamps, Heated Grips

Originally Posted by ilateapex' post='719583' date='Nov 12 2008, 08:42 PM
I installed the interface today and the BMW symbol is on the iPod but it will not play or be controled by the iDrive. I can play MP3 but still no control of iPod. Any ideas or do I need a reprogram?

Michael
I am assuming that you correctly disconnected the inline splice connector on the fiber optic cable behind the glove compartment CD Changer access hatch and inserted the LIT end into the iPod module connection plug end marked "1" and inserted the other (dark, not lit) end into the second opening on the connection plug and then plugged everything in the iPod converter. (Do a search on this subject under the "DIY" section on the main Forum page for complete details and pictures)

Yes you WILL have to get your iDrive programmed by the dealer to recognize the iPod Adapter after correctly hooking it up (It's not plug and play, the car's computer has to be told it's there conected to the MOST bus which is the fiber optic backbone of the car's electrical system). After dealer reprogramming (and about $100~$120 or so )you will now have 6 new input choices when you select CD on iDrive. You will have CD, CD1, CD2, CD3, CD4, CD5 and CD6 to select from. The iPod adapter emulates CD Changer operation in iDrive and each CD choice simply allows you "how" to select and play your iPod songs like CD1-all songs, CD2-by artist, CD3- by album, CD4- by genre and so on (The iPod instructions will tell you exactly what each "CD" selection performs.) The iDrive display will show you song information BUT if you want song title AND artist displayed together you have to pick any song and press iDrive for a sub-menu and check off the "Details" box.

Hope this helps
Old 11-13-2008, 03:23 AM
Members

I am pretty sure I hooked up the fiber optic corect. I did not have a 1 or 2 but had an arrow pointing in and out. I put the lit on in and the non lit one out.
I had been told that if your in dash CD player will play MP3's that you also had the programing for the iPod. I guess this may not be the case with the newer models?

Michael
Old 11-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi, Monaco Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota Leather, Dark Popular Trim, Steptronic, Premium Pkg., Cold Weather Pkg., Heated Rear Seats, Navigation, Sirius, 2004 330cic convertible, Mystic Blue Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Myrtle Wood Trim, Rare Myrtle Wood & Leather Sport Steering Wheel, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Xenons, Navigation, Heated Seats, Park Distance Control 2004 R1200C Montauk Motorcycle, Artic Blue Metallic, Servo ABS Linked Brakes, Chrome Pkg, Fog Lamps, Heated Grips

Originally Posted by ilateapex' post='719948' date='Nov 13 2008, 07:23 AM
I am pretty sure I hooked up the fiber optic corect. I did not have a 1 or 2 but had an arrow pointing in and out. I put the lit on in and the non lit one out.
I had been told that if your in dash CD player will play MP3's that you also had the programing for the iPod. I guess this may not be the case with the newer models?

Michael
Okay, everything sounds correct with your connections. As for saftware programming it is a 2 step process to get the the CD Changer (or iPod adapter which emulates CD Changer operation) to work:

1) From mid 2005 on build dates just about all E60's are programmed from the factory to play MP3 files in the CD Player. If not, the earlier cars are easily corrected by the dealer through an iDrive software update.

2) ADDITIONAL programming must also be done by your dealer to have the car recognize your installed CD Changer (or iPod adapter) on ANY E60 ever made. It is not simply a Plug and Play DIY installation. Even if your dash CD PLAYER is already capable of playing MP3 files you still need this additional programming. (Yes I know the system and software on an E60 should be smart enough to recognize new devices just like Plug 'n Play for USB devices on Microsoft Windows PC's ). Unfortunately you have no choice but to spend the $$$ and have this new programming done and then magically (LOL) your CD Changer (or iPod Adapter) will appear on your iDrive Menu and work when selected
Old 11-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Make: BMW Model: 525i Exterior Color: Alpine White Interior Color: Beige Leather Trans: Steptronic Options Include: 205 Automatic Trans - Steptronic 6 spd 423 BMW Floor Mats ZPP Premium Package ZSP Sport Package

I did the same thing last week, I have a 2007 525 w/ no nav, I also never has the cd changer, so I went ahead and did the install my self, I did the whole fiber optic thing, I connected it to the interface, and after I was done, the BMW logo was on the Ipod, but was not able to see it in the Idrive so I went to the dealer and they program it and booom, it worked!!! Good Luck
Old 11-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Silver BMW 530i Premium Package, Sports Package, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Sun Shades, iPod Retrofit kit, M-Tech Kit, OEM Style 172 Wheels

How much did the dealer charge you?

I think if you present SIB 01 09 06, they might do it free of charge.

Originally Posted by jochy69' post='720355' date='Nov 13 2008, 01:10 PM
...not able to see it in the Idrive so I went to the dealer and they program it and booom, it worked!!! Good Luck
Old 11-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by x550-ed' post='720509' date='Nov 13 2008, 06:57 PM
How much did the dealer charge you?

I think if you present SIB 01 09 06, they might do it free of charge.
This SIB only covers MP3 capability on CD Playback for earlier E60 Models to update the iDrive software to enable this feature free of charge.
It does not authorize or allow dealers to give a programming update for iPod/CD Changer recognition. However if you can convince your dealer to do so at the same time they enable MP3 compatibilty, more power to you !
Old 11-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by panaguy' post='720657' date='Nov 13 2008, 07:32 PM
This SIB only covers MP3 capability on CD Playback for earlier E60 Models to update the iDrive software to enable this feature free of charge.
It does not authorize or allow dealers to give a programming update for iPod/CD Changer recognition. However if you can convince your dealer to do so at the same time they enable MP3 compatibilty, more power to you !

I took one of the similar SIB (can't remember which one) to the dealer couple of weeks ago as my in-dash cd player did not recognize the mp3 cd. They coded the car for mp3 retrofit. Now my in-dash cd recognizes and plays the mp3 but the cd changer still does not play/recognize this mp3 cd.
You mean, if I install the gateway 500, which I plan to, will still not work without a trip to the dealer for another programming? I though all you need to do is retrofit the car for mp3 and it should recognize the ipod/denson unit.

Quick Reply: iPod Addition