E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installed Ultra Racing tower bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I think some better looking bolts would go a long way to improving the looks. Some sort of flat head, hex socket bolt.

I have elongated holes on the shock tower ring part of the bracket that allows some play in the placement. I will change the flange to have elongated holes as well.

A round bar is harder to mount. It will require either flattening the end in a press (like the stock front tower brace) or an adapter that is inserted into the end. Both raise the costs. If we modify the bracket to include a "U" shaped channel as in my earlier rendering, then we end up with a left-side and a right-side version which also raises costs.

I'm open to any ideas you guys can add. I would like to see a big, fat round bar as well. But, I also note that my UR front shock tower brace is not round - it is a flattened, oval shape.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:45 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
I'm open to any ideas you guys can add. I would like to see a big, fat round bar as well. But, I also note that my UR front shock tower brace is not round - it is a flattened, oval shape.
I have 2 buyers already.
Is it posable to use the oval shape with your design?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci

Originally Posted by pinguhk
I have 2 buyers already.
Is it posable to use the oval shape with your design?

That does give a flat spot to rest against the flange but ould need an insert to keep the end from crushing when tightend down. That said, might be easier to have an oval bar flattened in a press so that no insert would be needed. I'll check into it.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

Interested in an aluminum rod? Being in the trunk we won't have problems with it changing length with temps. Info below if for a 2.5" diameter tube but that is too large I think. The side walls are 3/16" thick.

Installed Ultra Racing tower bar-roundtube75.jpg

6061 Aluminum Round Tube offers high strength to weight ratio, easily formed, drilled, welded. Tubes with less than 1/8 inch wall are seamless drawn. | Tubes with 1/8 inch wall and greater are extruded seamless.
  • Material: Aluminum
  • Alloy: 6061-T6
  • Outside Diameter: 2.5 inch
  • Wall: .188 inch
  • Inside Diameter: 2.124
  • Length: 48 inches
  • Weight: 6.45 lbs
Old 08-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it, I just don't like the idea of having no carpet in the trunk in those areas. If I get a leak somehow into the trunk area, all those wires and modules are exposed.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
I like it, I just don't like the idea of having no carpet in the trunk in those areas. If I get a leak somehow into the trunk area, all those wires and modules are exposed.

All the carpet goes back in place. There would only be a small notch cut at the top to go around the bar. Like the Dinan bar photo in post 33. Only that slot is very small to allow just a flat piece of steel to stick through. On this design, the entire bar goes through the carpet so the notch would have to be bigger.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk
BTW how was the handing better or worst?
Missed this question previously.

The prototype brackets are not made of steel so have not been able to actually test their performance. We will have to go on "faith" and experience here and trust that they will help - or at least can't make it any worse.

I can't find a supplier for oval tube at all. Also, I am trying to avoid any steps that require welding because of all the costs that incurs.

It is looking like we should go with the square tube. It is readily available locally for me and is easy to mount to the flange. I have spent a lot of time trying to do something with a round tube but the costs go up to mount a round tube lengthwise to the flange. I'll see if I can find a square tube that is a little larger -1 1/4" or 1/ 3/8" maybe. With the type of stress in this application I am not sure the extra strength in a round tube is much benefit but it probably would look better.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:27 AM
Contributors

Interested in an aluminum rod? Being in the trunk we won't have problems with it changing length with temps. Info below if for a 2.5" diameter tube but that is too large I think. The side walls are 3/16" thick.

Attachment 124431

6061 Aluminum Round Tube offers high strength to weight ratio, easily formed, drilled, welded. Tubes with less than 1/8 inch wall are seamless drawn. | Tubes with 1/8 inch wall and greater are extruded seamless.
  • Material: Aluminum
  • Alloy: 6061-T6
  • Outside Diameter: 2.5 inch
  • Wall: .188 inch
  • Inside Diameter: 2.124
  • Length: 48 inches
  • Weight: 6.45 lbs
sounds good
what about the strength of this round tube compare to the steel square tube, which 1 is stranger.
I had a Aluminum tower bar is it was no way near the UR tower bar.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Contributors

All the carpet goes back in place. There would only be a small notch cut at the top to go around the bar. Like the Dinan bar photo in post 33. Only that slot is very small to allow just a flat piece of steel to stick through. On this design, the entire bar goes through the carpet so the notch would have to be bigger.
no need for the hole just DIY a extra carpet to fit over the top of the bar so no water can go inside it.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Missed this question previously.

The prototype brackets are not made of steel so have not been able to actually test their performance. We will have to go on "faith" and experience here and trust that they will help - or at least can't make it any worse.

I can't find a supplier for oval tube at all. Also, I am trying to avoid any steps that require welding because of all the costs that incurs.

It is looking like we should go with the square tube. It is readily available locally for me and is easy to mount to the flange. I have spent a lot of time trying to do something with a round tube but the costs go up to mount a round tube lengthwise to the flange. I'll see if I can find a square tube that is a little larger -1 1/4" or 1/ 3/8" maybe. With the type of stress in this application I am not sure the extra strength in a round tube is much benefit but it probably would look better.
The square tube is fine by me. If the round tube is hard then don't bother.
as for the welding it is very cheap in HK to do only about $10 to $20usd
I looking forward on you next 2nd stage prototype.
I know this bar will help with the UR bars that I have installed because the real end of the car is only holding a U shape and missing the real top bar to make it stronger like the front which is boxed in now with top and bottom bars

Quick Reply: Installed Ultra Racing tower bar