E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installed Ultra Racing tower bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
I don't think I consider it bad... just evidence that tighenting up the front end was effective and concentrated the twisting stress to the rear. The twisting in this case is an extreme due to the driveway - something I wouldn't encounter on any decent road.
have you have the rear 2 bars installed?
I dont see it on your stig.
some have missed out the last rear 1 which is OK but you need to get at lest 1 rear 1 installed to balance the car Chassis
Old 07-30-2011, 04:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by pinguhk
have you have the rear 2 bars installed?
I dont see it on your stig.
some have missed out the last rear 1 which is OK but you need to get at lest 1 rear 1 installed to balance the car Chassis
Good reminder - thanks. I know you explained one of the bars does not work with the M5 pull rods installed. Can you tell me which is the correct part number to install?
Old 07-30-2011, 05:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci

I have been looking for this for over 5 years and no 1 makes them
maybe I DIY 1

How about this?

Installed Ultra Racing tower bar-dinan-bar-e60.jpg

$569! :thumbsdown: http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D180-0...ce.aspx#page=1
Installed Ultra Racing tower bar-e60-dinan-rear_brace.jpg

I have my trunk apart looking at the construction. I'm not convinced adding a bar back there will help. Those shock towers are already attached to that main beam that goes along the seat back. You can see the beam in the pic - it is just above the Dinan bar.

For any design to improve on it I think would be this: a three-point mointing bar that also attaches to that beam I just mentioned. So in the pic above, imagine that Dinan bar also attached in the middle of the main beam above it. Just like our stock front brace that attaches to the firewall.

These guys have some great notes on what design points make for a good strut bar:

http://www.rogueengi.../RE_CF_STB.html
Old 07-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Contributors

How about this?

Attachment 123883

$569! :thumbsdown: http://www.dinancars...ace.aspx#page=1
Attachment 123884

I have my trunk apart looking at the construction. I'm not convinced adding a bar back there will help. Those shock towers are already attached to that main beam that goes along the seat back. You can see the beam in the pic - it is just above the Dinan bar.

For any design to improve on it I think would be this: a three-point mointing bar that also attaches to that beam I just mentioned. So in the pic above, imagine that Dinan bar also attached in the middle of the main beam above it. Just like our stock front brace that attaches to the firewall.

These guys have some great notes on what design points make for a good strut bar:

http://www.rogueengi.../RE_CF_STB.html
wow that is a lot of $$$ for a rear bar

thanks for the info
Old 08-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Senior Members

Hey guys...

I am fabricating a rear shock tower bar for the E60s. According to posts I have read, the same bar fits M5s also fits 550s so this bar should be universal for all E60s.

I'm only doing a 2-point design but one could attach additional braces from the bar to the rear frame rail behind the seat. Because of low production counts, these won't be at bargain prices but will be MUCH cheaper than the dinan bars and same strength as the UR bars.

Brackets are same thickness as the UR bars (aluminum or steel - undecided based on machining costs), the strut bar will be square steel tube that I can finish in paint or do a carbon-fiber vinyl wrap. Expected price range is $150 plus shipping.

Let me know if you want to order one of these. This only becomes feasible if I have 10 manufactured. I will get the design finished, show a full rendering, post the cost, then take deposits via paypal prior to placing the order. Finally I will show photos of the parts and installation then take the rest of the payment prior to shipping.

I have only a rendering of the bracket available at the moment:
Installed Ultra Racing tower bar-bracket.png

Looking at the stock design a little closer, the front of the shock tower is attached to the frame rail behind the seat. A 2-point bar will attach the center of the towers together. The stock attachment and the new bar together will create a rectangular type bracing with the shock tower supported in the front and in the center.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Contributors

Hey guys...

I am fabricating a rear shock tower bar for the E60s. According to posts I have read, the same bar fits M5s also fits 550s so this bar should be universal for all E60s.

I'm only doing a 2-point design but one could attach additional braces from the bar to the rear frame rail behind the seat. Because of low production counts, these won't be at bargain prices but will be MUCH cheaper than the dinan bars and same strength as the UR bars.

Brackets are same thickness as the UR bars (aluminum or steel - undecided based on machining costs), the strut bar will be square steel tube that I can finish in paint or do a carbon-fiber vinyl wrap. Expected price range is $150 plus shipping.

Let me know if you want to order one of these. This only becomes feasible if I have 10 manufactured. I will get the design finished, show a full rendering, post the cost, then take deposits via paypal prior to placing the order. Finally I will show photos of the parts and installation then take the rest of the payment prior to shipping.

I have only a rendering of the bracket available at the moment:
Attachment 124113

Looking at the stock design a little closer, the front of the shock tower is attached to the frame rail behind the seat. A 2-point bar will attach the center of the towers together. The stock attachment and the new bar together will create a rectangular type bracing with the shock tower supported in the front and in the center.
You should post this on the group buy.
If $150 included shipping I can get 3 buyers in HK.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Senior Members

You should post this on the group buy.
If $150 included shipping I can get 3 buyers in HK.

Good idea. I will after I get enough info that it can be cost effective. The current design has unique left side and right side which creates higher manufacturing costs.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

I have a design completed. May not be as pretty as the Dinan but it could be argued it is a stronger design.The Dinan design is a pivoting connection via a single bolt for the bar/bracket connection is always thought of to be an inferior design but manufacturers do it because it is allows for more universal fitting. In the pics below, you will see the bracket and bar bolted together (you can have it welded) - this part of the bar will only be barely visible once the carpet panels are back in place.

Rear Strut Tower Bar for BMW E60: $130 with free shipping worldwide

Bracket:
Left and Right bracket is identical allowing us to manufaturer it in very low quantities at a reasonable price. The thickness of the steel bracket is the same as my UR bar. The finish is powder coated gloss white.

Bar: 1" square steel tube. This will be a simple gloss black paint finish to protect the steel. You can DIY a paint of your choice or vinyl wrap it yourself if you prefer

Bracket/Bar attachment: 3 bolts attach the bar to the bracket making for a strong and rigid connection that has no pivot type motion like the Dinan. The length of the bar is such that it extends past the mounting flange and onto the ring that is in turn supported by the strut tower.

Installation:

1) Attach the each bracket to the top of each strut tower bar leaving the bolts loose
2) Place the bar on top of the brackets and insert three bolts with nuts and washers on each end leaving them loose.
3) Align all the pieces to achieve a perfect fit and tighten down the bolts
4) You will need to cut a small notch in the carpeted panel to allow room for the bar
5) Optional: To create an even stronger unit, this design allows for supplimental welding. After removing paint from the appropriate areas, install the bar, align the parts and tighten down the bolts to hold the bar/bracket in the correct position. Remove the bar as a single unit and have the brackets welded to the bar. Re-install as a single unit.

Design note: This 1" square steel tube seems to be satisfactory compared to the other strut braces. However, if it turns out you desire a larger bar, it will be a simple replacement with this design to go to a larger tube and bolt it in place yourself.

In the pics below you see can the unfinished prototype:

Installed Ultra Racing tower bar-bracket_final2.png

Installed Ultra Racing tower bar-bmw_e60_rear_shocktower_bar_jiml4.jpg

Installed Ultra Racing tower bar-bmw_e60_rear_shocktower_bar_jiml3.jpg

Installed Ultra Racing tower bar-bmw_e60_rear_shocktower_bar_jiml2.jpg

Installed Ultra Racing tower bar-bmw_e60_rear_shocktower_bar_jiml1.jpg

Give me some feedback. If it looks like we got a good one I will get this posted in the group buy section.

Cheers!

-Jim
Old 08-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Contributors

I have a design completed. May not be as pretty as the Dinan but it could be argued it is a stronger design.The Dinan design is a pivoting connection via a single bolt for the bar/bracket connection is always thought of to be an inferior design but manufacturers do it because it is allows for more universal fitting. In the pics below, you will see the bracket and bar bolted together (you can have it welded) - this part of the bar will only be barely visible once the carpet panels are back in place.

Rear Strut Tower Bar for BMW E60: $130 with free shipping worldwide

Bracket:
Left and Right bracket is identical allowing us to manufaturer it in very low quantities at a reasonable price. The thickness of the steel bracket is the same as my UR bar. The finish is powder coated gloss white.

Bar: 1" square steel tube. This will be a simple gloss black paint finish to protect the steel. You can DIY a paint of your choice or vinyl wrap it yourself if you prefer

Bracket/Bar attachment: 3 bolts attach the bar to the bracket making for a strong and rigid connection that has no pivot type motion like the Dinan. The length of the bar is such that it extends past the mounting flange and onto the ring that is in turn supported by the strut tower.

Installation:

1) Attach the each bracket to the top of each strut tower bar leaving the bolts loose
2) Place the bar on top of the brackets and insert three bolts with nuts and washers on each end leaving them loose.
3) Align all the pieces to achieve a perfect fit and tighten down the bolts
4) You will need to cut a small notch in the carpeted panel to allow room for the bar
5) Optional: To create an even stronger unit, this design allows for supplimental welding. After removing paint from the appropriate areas, install the bar, align the parts and tighten down the bolts to hold the bar/bracket in the correct position. Remove the bar as a single unit and have the brackets welded to the bar. Re-install as a single unit.

Design note: This 1" square steel tube seems to be satisfactory compared to the other strut braces. However, if it turns out you desire a larger bar, it will be a simple replacement with this design to go to a larger tube and bolt it in place yourself.

In the pics below you see can the unfinished prototype:

Give me some feedback. If it looks like we got a good one I will get this posted in the group buy section.

Cheers!

-Jim
3 things.
1. it looks very ugly BUT for me I dont care about looks as long as it works and also like you sar the carpet will cover it.
2. You must leave a bigger hole for the bolts, why you say? many E60 are getting old and the Chassis will have moved and the bar will not fit if you make the holds just right for your car.
I has 3 cars that are not in the same place where the hole and the bolt is placed. 2003, 2006 and my 2009.
3. I think changing from a 1" square steel tube to a rounded 1 will be much better and stronger.

apart from these it is looking good.

BTW how was the handing better or worst?
Old 08-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E-60 530I

3 things.
1. it looks very ugly BUT for me I dont care about looks as long as it works and also like you sar the carpet will cover it.
2. You must leave a bigger hole for the bolts, why you say? many E60 are getting old and the Chassis will have moved and the bar will not fit if you make the holds just right for your car.
I has 3 cars that are not in the same place where the hole and the bolt is placed. 2003, 2006 and my 2009.
3. I think changing from a 1" square steel tube to a rounded 1 will be much better and stronger.

apart from these it is looking good.

BTW how was the handing better or worst?
+1 for round bar...lol can we go thicker?

Quick Reply: Installed Ultra Racing tower bar