E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installed Media Interface + Media Player

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T1000BP
Did a couple of mods over last weekend. Installed the xcarlink media interface for the idrive screen next to the the right passenger vent. Installed a media player to play video files, mp3s etc in dash via USB stick / USB Hard Drive. Hard wired by tapping cig ligther under glove, a tiny power inverter in the glove to power the media player. Tapped the rear aux for audio for the media interface and added a glove aux via the media interface for aux purposes. Kept everything clean and custom. Here are some pics. Sorry the pics appear green due to the sunlight and my iphone... Video quality on the 6.5 screen is pretty good! Plays 720 x 480 videos very nicely.

Links to the products.

iDrive Media Interface.

http://www.xcarlink....7&cat=16&page=1

It's completely plug and play! Comes with a BMW wire harness. You switch video sources by holding down the MENU button for 1 second. Amazing product. Super easy to install. Comes with great step by step instructions.

Media Player

http://www.argosyusa...sp?DefaultTab=0

Tiny and fits perfectly in the center dash. Just look at the pics. Looks factory clean.

Used a small 100W inverter to power the media player.

Ended off the weekend by installing, GP THUNDER 8500K v2 Angel Eye bulbs and 6000K HID FOGS.

All in all a good mod weekend. Now, hmmm what's next?
Wow! Great setup
Old 08-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Contributors

I have the dension gateway 500 that I am about to install but am now considering this instead. The multimedia player will do everything the dension can, but this also does video.

How is the sound quality?
Old 08-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i M SPORT - 6 SPEED MANUAL

Originally Posted by ryan60isu
I have the dension gateway 500 that I am about to install but am now considering this instead. The multimedia player will do everything the dension can, but this also does video.

How is the sound quality?
Depends on the media your going to be playing. I have my unit plugged into the cars AUX and it sounds amazing!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 535d M Sport

@ T1000BP

I've just noticed that when the multimedia interface is on one of the AV channels, if I turn the iDrive wheel slightly a little "menu" pops up and starts scrolling left and right. But it's very sensitive and I can't seem to select anything from this menu when I press the wheel down. Is it the same for you?
Old 08-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i M SPORT - 6 SPEED MANUAL

Originally Posted by ///MrSingh
@ T1000BP

I've just noticed that when the multimedia interface is on one of the AV channels, if I turn the iDrive wheel slightly a little "menu" pops up and starts scrolling left and right. But it's very sensitive and I can't seem to select anything from this menu when I press the wheel down. Is it the same for you?
Yes me too! I have no idea what that menu is? Maybe it's for the tv tuner they sell?
Old 08-05-2011, 03:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 528i Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | STEPTRONIC | Xenon

Have you tried plugging a NAV or GPS into this yet? curious how it would work.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by T1000BP
The ipod is connected directly to the car. My car came with ipod in. The ipod has nothing to do with the media player.
Hi,

My car only comes with the small idrive screen...anybody knows whether this xcarlink will work with it?

Also, i dont have auc connection. Can i connect ipod to xcarlink and get audio as well?

Thank you
Old 08-05-2011, 06:18 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 528i Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | STEPTRONIC | Xenon

Originally Posted by Oe_tuning
Hi,

My car only comes with the small idrive screen...anybody knows whether this xcarlink will work with it?

Also, i dont have auc connection. Can i connect ipod to xcarlink and get audio as well?

Thank you
T1000BP has the 6.5 screen also.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by whoyuwit
Have you tried plugging a NAV or GPS into this yet? curious how it would work.
I plugged in my iPhone and I use Tomtom and a couple other navigation software packages.
Works perfectly! I play music on the iPhone and it mutes the song when the navigation software gives instructions!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Oe_tuning
Hi,

Thank you
I also have the 6.5 screen.
I use Parrot 9100 for audio either through line-in or bluetooth.
Works perfectly

Quick Reply: Installed Media Interface + Media Player