E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Implications of Installing LM2 Light Module on Pre-LCI 04 525i

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Sublime
A friend installed an LM2 on a pre-LCI with Bruce cables LCI tails and stock headlights. I was able to code welcome lights and halos as DRL with no problems.
Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
same here.
Are there any iDrive errors with this mod? I have adaptive xenons and NO hud. I plan on getting 61359203082 for the LM2.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

No, it'll be fine.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:14 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW E60 M5

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
if you didnt do the fronts you can do the the LM2, keep the cables for the rear and get the welcome lights etc. this is what I have on my own car.

Hello,

i did the coding today, and using the Miranda cables, after coding, my lci tail lights turn off after 10 secs, even after swapping pin 25 to 63, and Pin 40 to 11.

left my pre lci headlights on, and work 100%, just having trouble with the LM2 tail lights with the Miranda cables.

I did the
coding from the DIY from 5series.ne@bruce_miranda , any helps guys ?
Old 12-06-2021, 07:43 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530XI, CIC/Combox/TPMS Retrofit (CCC M-ASK Orig)
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I bought my car with a cob-job of a rear-lci retrofit (tail lights only). Someone took the connectors from an E61 retrofit kit and swapped pins, and for some reason cut them at one point in time. Though, I'm starting to wonder if someone bought the tailights with the connectors (pigtails cut), and the previous owner simply spliced in. The wire colors match, which makes me think its an E61 retrofit-kit component converted to an E60. My other rationale for believing so, is that when reviewing the official BMW retrofit - for E60's they make a connector to connector adapter which includes the length of White/Red and White/Black lead necessary to wire the car all the way up to the LCM. For E61's they provide something simlar but which includes only the tail light housing connectors, rather than adapters - requiring a re-pin.
  • The LCM was original (an LM1, this is a pre-september built 2006).
  • The extra wires on the connectors (definitely E61 retrofit kit connectors, with White/Red and White/Black leads) were not connected to anything.
I went ahead and built my own cables/harness to OEM retrofit-kit spec and finished the job properly. Moving pin 25 to 63, 40 to 11, adding the 2 wires as well and running them (white/red to 62, white/black to 5) . I upgraded to a LM2 (from a 2010 - latest from Real OEM; 61359203082). I then, taking proper back-ups along the way, used Tool32 to change the VIN on the LM2, used NCSExpert to default code it to my VO, and then intended to add +MUEB to the VO and, after backing-up the codings of a subsequent default coding, compare setting configurations. I was planning to apply only REAR light settings to the pre +MUEB VO code settings to ensure I got LCI functionality in the rear but didn't mess anything up for my stock pre-lci AHL headlights.

Well, perhaps its the 03/10 build date I used for my CIC/Combox retrofit, but the +MUEB made no difference; I spent 2 hours verifying all settings were identical after Git hiccuped showing me the diff and left me uneasy.

At this point, everything seems to be working properly - but I have the following configuration:

Left Tail Light includes (from left to right) 2 sets of LED lights on the top row (corner leds and blinker), and 4 lights on the bottom row, corner light/blinker, outer brake lamp, inner brake lamp, LED Bar lamp). The reverse is true for the right tail light.

My concern:

The outer brake lamp(s) remain unlit. I thought I read somewhere that pins 6+7 have to be jumped together to get both bulbs lit, but that this was an alternative to running wires directly tothe LCM. If doing the retrofit properly, should not the extra wires have kicked these bulbs on - or were they for something else? I have NOT checked if they are broken - they are LED bulbs I put on that don't seem to be working. I'm going to diagnose further but thought to ask on here just in case someone was able to confirm