E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I-POD issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 535XI with the built in i-pod option. I use my I pod with the cable that came with it. The problem I am having is that most songs do not show up on car display as an actual name of a song, but rather four letters. For example, a song on my I-Pod that would be labelled as "Dancing" might come up as DFGR or something similar. Secondly, on some songs the music is played at 2x the speed making it sound like the chipmunks are singing. I was recommended to purchase the I-Pod wire directly from BMW at almost $70. If this would solve it, I would purhcase it in a heartbeat. I just dont know that the cable would make the difference. Anyone having similar issues or has a solution? Any help is much appreciated.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

My car does not show the name of the song. On the bottom of the screen I just get the 4 letters of my first name, a space, and the first 3 letters of my last name. My car is an 08 550 with the I-Pod option, including the BMW I-Pod cable. On the screen, with detail checked, I get the name of the song and the Artist.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by proudian' post='474298' date='Sep 25 2007, 08:57 PM
I have a 535XI with the built in i-pod option. I use my I pod with the cable that came with it. The problem I am having is that most songs do not show up on car display as an actual name of a song, but rather four letters. For example, a song on my I-Pod that would be labelled as "Dancing" might come up as DFGR or something similar. Secondly, on some songs the music is played at 2x the speed making it sound like the chipmunks are singing. I was recommended to purchase the I-Pod wire directly from BMW at almost $70. If this would solve it, I would purhcase it in a heartbeat. I just dont know that the cable would make the difference. Anyone having similar issues or has a solution? Any help is much appreciated.
If you are using an iPod without the BMW iPod interface cable, it probably won't work correctly.

You don't indicate where you are, but in the U.S., the cable is free with the car.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Members

an ipod is a small computer and the ipod labels the songs with four letters,agdi dfka and so on. if you plug your ipod into computer and and you check the files from that drive you will see that it labels the songs like that on your computer also.as to why its doing it on you car i dont know but i do know that your ipod comes up with these letters for you songs
Old 09-26-2007, 01:00 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

I have the ipod option and the original BMW cable for the ipod. My song names are always showed correctly on the idrive screen.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:35 AM
Contributors

On my '08 the title and artist appear as well. The only frustrating thing for me is that my entire playlist disappears after the ignition has been turned off and then back on again--which means I lose my ability to scroll through that playlist unless I, essentially, go back and 're-find' it in the original menu. Anyone found a cure for this??