E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I like badges. Help me find "SMG" badges.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Well Guys,

I have a brain-breaker query for you. Unlike many people, I like subtle chrome badges. I am planning to install the letter "SMG" above the side maker a la "4.4i" in the X5.

So, with the 3 month waiting, I am starting to collect these letters. I know BMW doesn't have it, so the badge letters must come from other manufactures.

My first thought is to buy Mercedes "S"500, "G"500 and "M"L350 to form "SMG". The letters must be the same type in order to qualify. The only problem with this set up is that the badges cost $30 each, time that to 6 = $180. Not really worth it.

I then tried to use Volkswagen letters: "G"olf, Pa"S""S"at, 4-"M"otion. It did not work because the "M" is smaller than others.

I then tried "M"u"S"tan"G", but it does not have a separate chrome letter badge. Only ones dating back 30 years with ugly font type.

Using the above-mentioned logic, can you guys recommend other ways I can collect "SMG" chrome letter badges? Remember, cross-name-plate is acceptable as long as they're the same font, and the letters must be chrome and individual.

Let the brainstorming begin.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:25 AM
Senior Members

The early E46 M3's had this sMg logo that went below the shifter inside the cabin.. I believe that may be what your loooking for... i dont have a pic..but if you ask on E46 3er forums.... someone is bound to have that interior pic with it.....

I think they actually sell those logos if not at the dealer...then for sure at those asian gift places that have Broadway mirrors, air freshners, and random knick-knacks for the car and home.... If you're local to OC.. the old Yaohan / Mitsua AutoFreak place on Bristol in Costa Mesa... had that SMG logo for sale when I was there last week........ was like $18 i think.....

But before you put it on... i gotta say.. i cant really picture it looking that great on the side....as the 5er is a much smaller canvas...and putting that random piece on the side may look weird..but hey..to each his own....

on a side note.. i see you're getting an ED 2005 545i... which dealer did you go to.. that had the pricing and options and what not for the MY 2005 cars.. lots of us are awaiting our dealers to get that info... ??

TIA
Old 08-11-2004, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I would never put to big letters on the sides if I were you. It can look over the top. But if you wanna go that route a small smg badge like the one descriped by the other Dennis is the way to go.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I concur,

Small letters are what I am looking for. The Mercedes "KOMPRESSOR" badge size is ideal 3/4" height, but it's missing the "G"

Hey Initiald,

I ordered mine from New Century BMW in Alhambra. I don't know the pricing as of yet, so I just agreed $x over the ED invoice.
My option are: SMG, Sports Pack, Logic 7, Premium seats and Nav.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Aug 11 2004, 11:03 AM
I concur,

Small letters are what I am looking for. The Mercedes "KOMPRESSOR" badge size is ideal 3/4" height, but it's missing the "G"

Hey Initiald,

I ordered mine from New Century BMW in Alhambra. I don't know the pricing as of yet, so I just agreed $x over the ED invoice.
My option are: SMG, Sports Pack, Logic 7, Premium seats and Nav.
Thanks for the info... !! Yeah.. i was at New Century last weekend playin with the 5er I-drive trying to figure it out.... i was gonna deposit but pricing wasn't out so my friend who works there told me to go on my vacation first..and he'll call me when i get back....

My familys bought our X5 and my GF got her 325ci there as well.. New Century is great!! Service guys as well... if you do service there.. ask for John Velarde.. and tell him Dennis with the Silver X5 and E46 328i told ya he was the shiznit..haha.. he'll take care of you....
Old 08-11-2004, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I'm thinking about the SL55 AMG, but those letters probably don't match...
Old 08-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Members

There are a bunch of places out there who do custom emblems/badges (of varying quality.) Take a look at www.youremblem.com for example. Please Speedracer, do NOT get gold!
Old 08-11-2004, 12:00 PM
Senior Members

Don't worry guys,

Gold is the preferred only when pink was the only other choice.

I really prefer the dark chrome or "light" gun metal to go with my Jet Black exterior.

Thanks for the link
Old 08-11-2004, 03:22 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by twinzor1' date='Aug 11 2004, 02:40 PM
There are a bunch of places out there who do custom emblems/badges (of varying quality.)? Take a look at www.youremblem.com for example.? Please Speedracer, do NOT get gold!
I may rebadge with V A R O O M this time.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Members

There is a refrigerator in Europe that proudly has its name on the door..S M E G

I would buy one but couldn't take the ribbing, Perhaps the letters would work on the car!!
Attached Thumbnails I like badges. Help me find "SMG" badges.-smeg.jpg  

Quick Reply: I like badges. Help me find "SMG" badges.