E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I am not quite sure which wheels to get

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 02:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always been very conscious about not trying to make my car look like an M5. Being a previous M car owner I think they are very special cars and other non-M cars should not be made to look like or pretend that they are the real thing. For this reason it took me 3 or 4 months to finally decide to order the M-kit for my car because I did not want to look like a "pretender". Now granted, the only pieces in the M-kit that are the EXACT same part as the M5 are the side skirts. The front bumper/spoiler, although similar, is not the same as the M5's, and the rear bumper/skirt is totally different from the M5's. I really tried to convince myself to order other aero kits like AC Schnitzer, but I liked the BMW one better. I liked the ACS one when it first came out a year or year and a half ago, but I don't like it anymore.

In addition to the M-kit I also have the M trunk lid spoiler and will be getting the trunk finisher, both of which happen to be the same as the M5's.

So now I am thinking about wheels. I really love the M5 ones. I saw one at my dealer here in the Los Angeles area and it looks very nice with the spokes starting at the outer surface and going so deep in the center.....it looks great when looking at it at an angle. However, if I get those I am affraid that it will really look like I am trying to pretend that my car is an M5. I still have the "545i" badge on the trunk and am not planning on removing it, let alone putting an M5 badge on, but would it still look like I am making the car look too much like an M5?

I may have a way out of this but I am not sure yet. I always liked the AC Schnitzer type IV 2 piece wheels, but there was no way I was going to pay around $1500 for EACH wheel. Now that there is the ACS replica 20" wheels for $1500 for the set of 4, I may end up getting those. For the wheels alone the 20" ACS Replicas cost a couple of hundred less than the 19" M5 wheels, which may be offset by the more expensive 20" tires. I think they will end up costing about the same for a set of 4 with tires. I have posted some questions to Herb's post in the Classifieds section about the ACS Replicas but he has not replied yet (I have e-mailed him as well). I would like to know what company makes the replicas and in what country, what the offsets are, and whether they are available in 19".

So to summarize my long post here I would love to know your opinions on whether putting the M5 wheels on my car makes it look "too much" like an M5 and makes me look like a "copycat". Also, what do you think of the ACS Replicas? I know there have been BMW wheel replicas that have been made in Europe (Italy) and they were just as good as the originals. I think they were made by the same Italian company that makes wheels for BMW (my wife's X5 has original BMW wheels that were made in Italy). However, I don't know any info on who make the ACS Replicas.

Thanks for you opinions,
Old 05-14-2005, 04:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

rodybmw, sorry to hear about your dilemma.

I would suggest you to see the ACS replica in person before you get it. Herb is also at Los Angeles area so it shouldn't be a problem for you to visit his shop and the best way to contact him is to call. IMO the Type IV replicas looked really good in pictures but i'm not too sure about the quality though.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by soc_fans' date='May 14 2005, 06:18 AM
rodybmw, sorry to hear about your dilemma.?

I would suggest you to see the ACS replica in person before you get it. Herb is also at Los Angeles area so it shouldn't be a problem for you to visit his shop and the best way to contact him is to call. IMO the Type IV replicas looked really good in pictures but i'm not too sure about the quality though.

Good luck with your purchase.?
[snapback]128369[/snapback]

If I decide that I want to go with the ACS Replicas I would definately do the transaction AFTER seeing the wheels in person. However, I need some more info from Herb before I can decide whether those wheels are even a candidate. Herb posted some new pictures of the wheels with tires mounted on an E60. It looks good except for one thing. I have noticed that most of the time when people change to non OEM wheels they mount tires on them that look too narrow for the wheel......Or more likely the wheel's width/offset combination may make it impossible to mount wider tires on them without rubbing the inside of the fenders or other areas. You can see this in the following pictures. The top and bottom of the tire are further in than the part of the tire that is touching the lip of the wheel. This makes the tire look rounded from the rear instead of a nice square profile. In this case it is not as drastic as some others that I have seen, but it is still there. If I were to buy these I would have to make sure that I could install tires that are one or two sizes wider than those and at the same time keep the same diameter and not rub the fenders. So there is more information that I need before I could make my decision.

Old 05-15-2005, 12:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oh man I know what you mean rody. I am a HUGE HUGE HUGE fan of the Ms especially the m5s not just E60 but E28, E34, and E39. I know what you mean about making others think you're a M5 wanna be. I was very hesitant going with the M-Tech Kit already too like you said but I really do like the looks. So I did get it. I also like the looks of the #166 wheels. I think IMO if you leave the 545 badge on there you're ok others might not think so though.

If you're going to go for these two type of rims and the 166 being that much cheaper and will not have the problem of the tires rounding off I would get them. Unless you find out that the replicas are of good quality, no tire rounding problem, and wont rub then go for the ACS replicas then you wont have the M5 wanna be problem.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530i 05 M-technic Silvergrey whith beige dakotaleather

I love ASC wheels, can you please post the link where i can buy that copys
Old 05-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 525i SilverGray/Black Step/Nav/Cold/Premium/Xenons

I here ya about not wanting to be a copycat, but as along as you keep the 545 badge & dont add the mirrors or fender grills you'd be fine. I was gonna buy the Breyton Sprits but after seeing the M5 at the NY auto show ive changed my mind & alts picture sealed the deal for me. Plus Iam gonna add the M Tech front & few ACS pieces, roof spoiler & front "flippers" for the M Tech bumper(dont know if there out yet). Ok enough rambling for me.LOL....
Old 05-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='May 14 2005, 11:13 AM
I have always been very conscious about not trying to make my car look like an M5.? Being a previous M car owner I think they are very special cars and other non-M cars should not be made to look like or pretend that they are the real thing.? For this reason it took me 3 or 4 months to finally decide to order the M-kit for my car because I did not want to look like a "pretender".? Now granted, the only pieces in the M-kit that are the EXACT same part as the M5 are the side skirts.? The front bumper/spoiler, although similar, is not the same as the M5's, and the rear bumper/skirt is totally different from the M5's.? I really tried to convince myself to order other aero kits like AC Schnitzer, but I liked the BMW one better.? I liked the ACS one when it first came out a year or year and a half ago, but I don't like it anymore.?

In addition to the M-kit I also have the M trunk lid spoiler and will be getting the trunk finisher, both of which happen to be the same as the M5's.

So now I am thinking about wheels.? I really love the M5 ones.? I saw one at my dealer here in the Los Angeles area and it looks very nice with the spokes starting at the outer surface and going so deep in the center.....it looks great when looking at it at an angle.? However, if I get those I am affraid that it will really look like I am trying to pretend that my car is an M5.? I still have the "545i" badge on the trunk and am not planning on removing it, let alone putting an M5 badge on,? but would it still look like I am making the car look too much like an M5?

I may have a way out of this but I am not sure yet.? I always liked the AC Schnitzer type IV 2 piece wheels, but there was no way I was going to pay around $1500 for EACH wheel.? Now that there is the ACS replica 20" wheels for $1500 for the set of 4, I may end up getting those.? For the wheels alone the 20" ACS Replicas cost a couple of hundred less than the 19" M5 wheels, which may be offset by the more expensive 20" tires.? I think they will end up costing about the same for a set of 4 with tires.? I have posted some questions to Herb's post in the Classifieds section about the ACS Replicas but he has not replied yet (I have e-mailed him as well).? I would like to know what company makes the replicas and in what country, what the offsets are, and whether they are available in 19".

So to summarize my long post here I would love to know your opinions on whether putting the M5 wheels on my car makes it look "too much" like an M5 and makes me look like a "copycat".? Also, what do you think of the ACS Replicas?? I know there have been BMW wheel replicas that have been made in Europe (Italy) and they were just as good as the originals.? I think they were made by the same Italian company that makes wheels for BMW (my wife's X5 has original BMW wheels that were made in Italy).? However, I don't know any info on who make the ACS Replicas.

Thanks for you opinions,
[snapback]128340[/snapback]
no way man! go for BMW OM wheels, if you like 166 and you can get, get it.
You can have the M mirrors, trunk lid, M tech pack, you will not put the side gills and no M5 badge, so it is kool if you do not pretend as you a have a real M5.

Why not you could have it?

It is bull$hit, M tech wat ever you have is similar to M cars BUT NOT THE SAME if they officially sell M products you can buy it.
Forget ACS!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2005, 06:06 AM
Members

Exclamation

Ihope these will help u. My friend's car in Thailand.
Attached Thumbnails I am not quite sure which wheels to get-03.jpg   I am not quite sure which wheels to get-14.jpg   I am not quite sure which wheels to get-02.jpg   I am not quite sure which wheels to get-23.jpg  
Old 05-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Contributors

For wheels, I prefer the look of the type IVs, but if your choosing between replicas and BMW OEMs, get the OEMs for sure.

As for copying the M5, I don't really see it as an issue. Though they look similar, the front and rear bumpers are distinctly different. And think, in a couple years, BMW itself will be selling the 545/550 with the msport kit here in the U.S.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by heezy545i' date='May 16 2005, 01:54 PM
And think, in a couple years, BMW itself will be selling the 545/550 with the msport kit here in the U.S.
[snapback]129350[/snapback]
Ya they will... They should have sold them here and be able to be ordered at the factory in the first place...

Quick Reply: I am not quite sure which wheels to get