E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Hub rings for fitting a 2006 m6 rim on an e60

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

im new to the forum and new to the bmw community in general. i just bought a 2006 525i with 2006 m6 rims on it. the rims are brand new and apparently need hub centric rings. right now it feels like the tires are unbalenced when ive them balanced twice. does anyone know the size needed or a place to get these. i called tire rack and they said i needed sizing info. any help would be appreciated. will this even work or should i just take them back?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Welcome to the forum!

If the wheels are OEM M6 it'll be perfect fit w/o the need of hub centric ring, as far as the tire sizes recommended 245/35 up fornt & 275/30 for the rear.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='704509' date='Oct 27 2008, 12:22 PM
Welcome to the forum!

If the wheels are OEM M6 it'll be perfect fit w/o the need of hub centric ring, as far as the tire sizes recommended 245/35 up fornt & 275/30 for the rear.
thank you, yeah thats what tire rack said and the vibrations are horrible, ive had the tires balanced twice so now i dont know what to do
Old 10-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Senior Members

welcome!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:42 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by emfinite3131' post='704513' date='Oct 27 2008, 07:34 PM
thank you, yeah thats what tire rack said and the vibrations are horrible, ive had the tires balanced twice so now i dont know what to do
Welcome to the forums!
If you really need hubcentric rings, my guess is that the bore size of those replica M6 wheels is 74,1mm while your E60's size is 72,56mm.
But be careful when buying rings, they might be made of very soft plastics, and then there's a risk they don't fit properly or they get damaged easily --> vibrations continue. I recommend you buy aluminium rings if possible.

edit: Do some searching on this forum about vibrations, there's lot of useful help available. But don't loose you're hope in the time when you realize that there is about a million reasons in a car that might cause vibrations .
Old 10-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='704519' date='Oct 27 2008, 11:42 AM
Welcome to the forums!
If you really need hubcentric rings, my guess is that the bore size of those replica M6 wheels is 74,1mm while your E60's size is 72,56mm.
But be careful when buying rings, they might be made of very soft plastics, and then there's a risk they don't fit properly or they get damaged easily --> vibrations continue. I recommend you buy aluminium rings if possible.

edit: Do some searching on this forum about vibrations, there's lot of useful help available. But don't loose you're hope in the time when you realize that there is about a million reasons in a car that might cause vibrations .

thanks for the tips i just got the car and im kinda pissed about it so i hope i can get this resolved.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Contributors

You will hear people here saying "You will always suffer from replicas and hubcentric rings". That might be true, but I think people should not generalize things too much. There are very low quality replicas on the market , but there's high quality replicas too. I used to have 18" replica M5's and I had problems with them at first, but I asked a workshop to make hubcentric rings for me, and they worked very well.

I suggest you also check your tires that they're 100% round. A very little throw in a single tire can cause vibrations that is not possible to remove with rebalancing. If you notice a tire is out of round, the first help is to rotate the tire on the wheel 90-180 degrees and rebalance.
Just few thoughts...

I hope you get it resolved . Don't let the issue ruin your amazing ride!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by emfinite3131' post='704507' date='Oct 27 2008, 12:18 PM
Hi guys,

im new to the forum and new to the bmw community in general. i just bought a 2006 525i with 2006 m6 rims on it. the rims are brand new and apparently need hub centric rings. right now it feels like the tires are unbalenced when ive them balanced twice. does anyone know the size needed or a place to get these. i called tire rack and they said i needed sizing info. any help would be appreciated. will this even work or should i just take them back?
You have already received info about whether hub centric adapters may or may not be required.

I'm curious, was the wheel imbalance problem noticed before or after you bought the car?

If you've had them rebalanced 2x what sort of equipment did the shop use? BMWs are very sensitive to balance being off even a tiny bit. The place to start is with an experienced BMW mechanic or dealership service tech who can determine whether you have a wheel or a tire problem (or both!).
Old 10-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='704576' date='Oct 27 2008, 12:59 PM
You have already received info about whether hub centric adapters may or may not be required.

I'm curious, was the wheel imbalance problem noticed before or after you bought the car?

If you've had them rebalanced 2x what sort of equipment did the shop use? BMWs are very sensitive to balance being off even a tiny bit. The place to start is with an experienced BMW mechanic or dealership service tech who can determine whether you have a wheel or a tire problem (or both!).
when i bought the car we test drove around the local area and didnt really get above 40-50 and you barely notice it around those speeds, i thought it was just crappy san diego roads. i soon found out it wasnt and went to a local tire shop to balance them. they said they were way out and this should fix it. it made it better but did not fix it. i took it back and they said i needed hub rings. im now wondering if i got screwed with a knock-off set.

i bought the car from a luxery used dealer and they are going to take care of everything free of charge. so i feel better. they said if it is something suspension related, bmw will take care of it for free.

just out of curiosity, how can i tell my m6 rims are authentic?
Old 10-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by emfinite3131' post='704766' date='Oct 27 2008, 11:38 PM
when i bought the car we test drove around the local area and didnt really get above 40-50 and you barely notice it around those speeds, i thought it was just crappy san diego roads. i soon found out it wasnt and went to a local tire shop to balance them. they said they were way out and this should fix it. it made it better but did not fix it. i took it back and they said i needed hub rings. im now wondering if i got screwed with a knock-off set.

i bought the car from a luxery used dealer and they are going to take care of everything free of charge. so i feel better. they said if it is something suspension related, bmw will take care of it for free.

just out of curiosity, how can i tell my m6 rims are authentic?
If they told you that you NEED hubcentric rings, get them ASAP! Every tire shop should have them in stock. Now when you don't have them, I'm 100% sure this is the (at least one) reason for vibration, and I'm very confident that vibration stops after you get them. If it doesn't, then keep investigating.

IMHO 90% of vibration issues derive from wheels and/or tires.
And if you need hub rings, it tells you your M6 wheels aren't OEM like BlaSTiWi said.

Quick Reply: Hub rings for fitting a 2006 m6 rim on an e60