E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Homelink retrofit, no region code nor software version

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 01:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Just got my hands on a Homelink mirror, but I can't get it to work, for some reason.

Car is a 07 LCI 535d (LCI happened earlier around here, I guess). Stock mirror had the auto dimming feature, and nose LED (the small one).
Retrofit mirror comes from a German 06 M5. It had the same features, and the Homelink feature. Part number is 51169134444.
Install was as easy as plug n'play. Stock features are still properly working with the retrofit mirror, but I get mixed results from the Homelink buttons.

I can reset all buttons, following these instructions:
1. Press and hold the two outside buttons I and III (fig. 2) - releasing only when the diode begins to flash after approximately 20 seconds.
Note: This procedure erases the factory-set default codes and does not have to be followed to program the other HomeLink buttons.
But I can't have the mirror record my garage door remote signal, whatever I do.

More surprisingly, I can't get the software version, nor the region code, out of the mirror. Here are the instructions I carefully followed:
Diagnostics

If, after carefully reading and following the above instructions, you still cannot successfully train your HomeLink to your original remote control, assistance is available via our toll-free Customer
Service Hotline 008000 466 35465
. Before you call, please make sure that you have the following HomeLink Diagnostic Information available for reference. The Hotline operators will need this
information to assist you with any difficulties you may have.

Procedure for obtaining diagnostic information directly from your HomeLink :
(Note that these steps, carefully followed, will not erase your programmed HomeLink channels).

1. To determine the Software Revision of your HomeLink press and continue to hold button I or III, (but NOT both!) for about 50 seconds, at which point the diode will stop flashing
and turn completely off. Continue to press the button. A few seconds later, the diode will start flashing again. The number of flashes is equivalent to the software version of your HomeLink system.

For example, four flashes would mean Revision 4.0.

2. To determine the Region Code status of your HomeLink, press and continue to hold button II for about 50 seconds, until the diode extinguishes and remains off. Continue to hold button number 2. A few seconds later, the diode will start flashing again. The number of flashes will indicate the Region that your HomeLink system has been factory programmed to operate in. For example:

One Flash = Rest of Europe
Two Flashes = France
Three Flashes = U.K.
Four Flashes = Italy

3. Additionally, the Hotline will request from you the following information about your vehicle
and the original transmitter you are trying to program:

A. Make and model of your vehicle, including year of manufacture and country
of purchase;

B. Original remote control brand, model, age and operating frequency, if known.

The Software Revision and Region Code status are especially important for solving training issues.
Please take a moment to gather the information outlined in the above three steps before you call the Hotline.
I called the Homelink hotline nevertheless. I've been told this often happens on retrofitted mirrors.
This sounds strange to me. Does BMW operates some kind of restrictions on which car a mirror would work? If so, my car would need some kind of coding, right? Does anybody had some similar experience? How does all this sounds to you?

The Homelink rep. told me she can't help me. Don't know what to do know. Hope you guys can help.

---
David
Old 03-02-2012, 01:43 AM
Members

HomeLink_General_Bedienungsanleitung.pdf
Attached Files
Old 03-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Members

Hi Bebitoo,

where are you located?
You are aware that Euro-spec and US-spec homelink mirrors use different frequencies? The mirror you have covers the Euro spec ranges of frequencies: 40 MHz, 433 Mhz, 868MHz.
US garage doors operate to my knowledge at 315 MHz, so this might be your problem.

Straba
Old 03-03-2012, 12:45 AM
Members

Tanks for your reply straba.

Originally Posted by straba
where are you located?
Good point, that's something I forgot to mention, sorry. I live in France.
My garage doors are from La Toulousaine. They use rolling codes, under the 868MHz frequency.
I know I may also have troubles with this. I read here or there that only last firmware revisions support the 868MHz range and rolling codes. Meaning I might need an adaptor on my doors (which would mean forget the rolling codes improvement, I guess).

But so far I'm one step behind. Can't even know which software version I have.

On one hand, this make me think the retrofit process is not over, and I might need some coding to be done on the car. One the other hand, all others features are properly working, and the Homelink reset process seems to be working.

What happen on your mirrors when you guys keep pressed one button for a while? (please keep pressed only one button at once, keeping buttons 1 AND 3 pressed for a while would reset your mirrors)
Did someone have to do some coding to get a retrofitted mirror to open garage doors?
TIA
---
David
Old 03-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Members

According to the part number, your mirror supports 868 MHz.
No coding is necessary when retrofitting, the garage door opener electronics inside the mirror does not communicate with the car at all, just uses power and ground to operate.

However, you have to be quite patient when learning it. It took me several attempts to make it work with my home 433 MHz door, while others (433 and 40 MHz) I could learn without a problem. It is all about distance between handset and mirror - trial and error. Rolling code is probably even more complex as you need a second person and good timing.

When you press a button, the LED lights up constantly and the remote emits the stored code. I can't remember what happens if you keep it pressed for a minute, but the coding procedure from the homelink manual worked as described.

Marin
Old 03-14-2012, 12:32 AM
Members

Thanks for your help, Marin. Already did like 30 attempts, with no luck. Will try again.
Will get new batteries for the remote first. Garage doors and remotes are like 3 months old, but who knows. Might try outside too, there may be some interferences in my garage, from wifi or something, shouldn't hurt to be outside.
I'll you know how it goes.
Glad to know there's no relation with the car (except power and ground), that was my understanding too.
Regards.
---
David
Old 08-09-2014, 11:03 AM
New Members

My Ride: 520d Msport ,

Did you get sorted, interested in getting one