E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HID Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Are you sure they are blown? I had a similar issue with my HID fog kit and the issue was simple. In your picture above, the blue clip that connects to the ballast can be inserted another way (rotate it 180 degrees). For some reason the clips fit in BOTH configurations and you have to adjust it accordingly.

Would be easier if they would design it to NOT fit in the wrong configuration and only fit in the correct one. Hope this helps. Let us know! Good luck.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 (56) E60 520d M Sport in Carbon Black

Originally Posted by Kaizen
Are you sure they are blown? I had a similar issue with my HID fog kit and the issue was simple. In your picture above, the blue clip that connects to the ballast can be inserted another way (rotate it 180 degrees). For some reason the clips fit in BOTH configurations and you have to adjust it accordingly.

Would be easier if they would design it to NOT fit in the wrong configuration and only fit in the correct one. Hope this helps. Let us know! Good luck.
Thanks for the tip. the bit where the blue plug is connected to has a + and - on either side. So i put the blue plug in the direction so the + is with the +... is this correct?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

It is not blown. U have capacitors for the cancellers for force it to work with the BMW. My biggest concern is if these first generation looking ballasts even have surge protection, polarity protection, etc. YOU DEFINITELY blew the capacitor (canceller) and need a new one. The ballasts couldve been blown as well I have no clue. I would recommend returning this setup is possible and getting a legitimate HID kit.

OP, I replied to your PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

I have a HID kit which I bought from brabus and i'm selling if your interested
Old 11-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

I would bench test it without the cancelers on a 12 volt battery
Old 11-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
It is not blown. U have capacitors for the cancellers for force it to work with the BMW. My biggest concern is if these first generation looking ballasts even have surge protection, polarity protection, etc. YOU DEFINITELY blew the capacitor (canceller) and need a new one. The ballasts couldve been blown as well I have no clue. I would recommend returning this setup is possible and getting a legitimate HID kit.

The kit was marketed for the E60... its a 50w kit if that makes any difference to size of ballast? I've emailed the seller on Ebay so just awaiting reply. I bought the kit from them because i had bought one for my E46 previously from them.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Originally Posted by jas_r_1
I have a HID kit which I bought from brabus and i'm selling if your interested
+1 Just buy the "real deal" and be done with it. If you prefer to buy new, pm Brabus. His HID kits are phenomenal and his service is even better. Of course you pay a little more for the kit vs. ebay, but worth it IMO.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg

Thanks for the tip about connecting the wires! I finally got a chance to mess around with the HID kit today. There was nothing wrong with the bulbs as I first thought, it was user error

I was connecting the red wire from the HID kit to the brown wire in the car.

Anyway they're working!

The picture doesn't do the lights justice. They look blue but they are actually really white. Also the camera couldn't cope with the intensity of the light so it looks like the light from the headlamp is going everywhere. They look nice and crisp although I would have preffered to have projector lights!

I'll post more pictures later
Old 11-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by healthservices
You can do the whole thing in less than 20 minutes if you remove the headlight housing. This time includes removing the housing. As for wiring there are only two ways to wire it right, and wrong. Flip the power leads around if it does not light.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by healthservices

Thanks man! Wasted alot of time last weekend noobing around! I didn't take the headlights out as I have quite skinny fingers. Next on the list is to drill the holes at the back of the caps and feed the wires through. Oh and try and lock the bulbs into position.

Quick Reply: HID Kit