E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HID Fogs on the cheap

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by Victory
Well since a vendor has chimed in you have it from a horses mouth. In his case, for $160.00 you get

Objective benefits:

- Included Error cancelling capabilities (no need for a error cancellor)
- Additional safety features - you can plug the ballasts in the wrong way with the wrong polarity and they can stand up to a 24V surge - although if your car ever saw a 24v surge I would suspect the last thing anyone would be worried about are fog lights there are prob many internals that would fail with a surge that high, but it is a nice feature.

Subjective benefits:

- Higher quality ballasts
- Good (great?) customer service

IMO, the other stuff about boosting a car I file under FUD tactics. Again, on these cars there are many internals that would fail due to a surge/spike if boosting was done incorrectly. The least of the ones problems would be their fogs. The procedure outlined is what should be followed ALL THE TIME when boosting another vehicle - whether you have HID fogs or not. For my money, I don't boost people. These cars are too temperamental as it is.

Brabus, thanks for chiming in.
Sure thing!

As long as it's quality and u need external cancellors, it's good too but most people prefer the plug and play Philips brand. It's like owning a Lexus vs a Dahaitsu. Same company but one carries a brand/symbol, with more gagdets etc.

I had to boost my cat last night. I left my HID angels, HID fogs, low beams, HID reverse, interior LEDs and WORST is the radio going. I ran to Strauss to get some jumper cables. Then I saw the jumper packs. Picked it up, put it down. Right when I picked it up, I remembered that I needed to charge it before using it. Bought the Goodyear jumper cables. You dont even need to worry which is positive or negative. Just hook it up and you're good to go and has surge protection. For $30 vs the $12 jumper cables, I had a peace of mind. NOW I GOT JUMPER CABLES!! Who needs a boost?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious where you get Phillips oem kits for <$160?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bens1088
Just curious where you get Phillips oem kits for <$160?
it's not OEM Philips. Same Philips ballasts as for the Range Rovers Philips OEM ballasts but made as for aftermarket HID uses.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
it's not OEM Philips. Same Philips ballasts as for the Range Rovers Philips OEM ballasts but made as for aftermarket HID uses.

.....sooooo.....TAIWAN!!!!!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
.....sooooo.....TAIWAN!!!!!
Nope. China. Philips has been produced in China for a long long time. A lot of things get rebadged nowadays if final assembly is in a certain country
Old 04-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Senior Members

Oh okay. I haven't had any luck with manufactures from china but glad you have. I've been sticking with taiwan for now (at least for hids). I design and import projectors for older cars. We should talk some time lol.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Banned

Sure thing Ben. Send me a PM whenever u like. I tested about 25 different HID factories in China. They ALL say they are the best and greatest. You know hown they are. They BS you in that they are the only factory that can make the best product and you get one sample and it's nothing except for a regular ballast and not even digital. Invested quite a bit of time and money in looking for the right one. I did it with a partner who's huge with HIDs. I had to partner up with him in order to get those HID kits since this specific factory do not sell to anyone or everyone. They cannot even produce enough to meet demand. Yes, these Chinese factory workers are getting lazier and lazier and more expensive by the day. My father owns a factory in China as well and he's planning to move to Vietnam. If that's the case, I will hand over this lighting business to someone else and go back and help him.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
Sure thing Ben. Send me a PM whenever u like. I tested about 25 different HID factories in China. They ALL say they are the best and greatest. You know hown they are. They BS you in that they are the only factory that can make the best product and you get one sample and it's nothing except for a regular ballast and not even digital. Invested quite a bit of time and money in looking for the right one. I did it with a partner who's huge with HIDs. I had to partner up with him in order to get those HID kits since this specific factory do not sell to anyone or everyone. They cannot even produce enough to meet demand. Yes, these Chinese factory workers are getting lazier and lazier and more expensive by the day. My father owns a factory in China as well and he's planning to move to Vietnam. If that's the case, I will hand over this lighting business to someone else and go back and help him.
You could not have put it better lol. It seems as if Taiwanese manufactures are a bit more honest and care more about their quality. I actually have a new project that I am looking for help with. I'll PM you sometime and we can see if it's something you'd be interest in. Definitely family first. I'm sure someone will gladly help take over lol.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bens1088
You could not have put it better lol. It seems as if Taiwanese manufactures are a bit more honest and care more about their quality. I actually have a new project that I am looking for help with. I'll PM you sometime and we can see if it's something you'd be interest in. Definitely family first. I'm sure someone will gladly help take over lol.
sounds good. we can work on something. BTW, u got pix of the datsun? Ive always wanted one!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 05:37 AM
Members

Hey hey hey...don't be jacking the thread...datsuns indeed.

Quick Reply: HID Fogs on the cheap