E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HID Fogs on the cheap

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently installed some HID Fogs and I wanted to share my experience. With all the manufacturing advances and competition I found it hard to believe that I could not install HID Fogs in my 5 for less than $150.00. Being an adventurous sort, I went looking for a deal.

I ordered a Slim Ballast HID Kit (2x 35W, 9006, 6000k lights) from Khoalty (pronounced Quality) for $60. I also ordered one set of HID Error Cancellors for $15. I probably could've gone more inexpensive on the HID Kit (there are a lot of vendors out there), but I didn't want to go too cheap. The error cancellors are basically resistors in nice fancy packaging. If you are handy you can go cheaper and buy a couple of these right from Radio Shack, but for $5 more you can get everything done up for you and since I'm the lazy type I brought the package.

I installed everything using the attached DIY (which shows how to install everything from the top). It was an excellent help. I can't give credit to the person who put it all together because his name in nowhere in the document! He does reference whose work it is based on though.

The only real gotcha, IMO, is to ensure to line up the positive and negative correctly on the error cancellors (in the picture below the positive is YELLOW). In most cases it will be upside down (German cars reverse positive and negative as related to the way most fog light clips are set up). If you install it the wrong way the fog light my flicker, may not turn on, or may turn on intermittently and, as and added benefit, once the cancellor is installed in the wrong way it is very likely to be no good and will never work properly - so be careful.

Bottom line is this setup cost me $75 and works like a charm.

Like I said in the beginning this is just my experience. Take it for what it's worth...just another internet posting. YMMV

I simply wanted to share.

GL

Now for the pics!
Attached Thumbnails HID Fogs on the cheap-hid-fogs-01.jpg   HID Fogs on the cheap-hid-fogs-04.jpg   HID Fogs on the cheap-hid-fogs-09.jpg   HID Fogs on the cheap-hid-fogs-10.jpg   HID Fogs on the cheap-hid-fogs-11.jpg  

HID Fogs on the cheap-hid-fogs-12.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 04-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Senior Members

O nice....! Good Job! Looks great. always like the HID fog .

Mine was 180 kit and STILL need the cables
Old 04-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Jet Black on Black

Originally Posted by Victory
I recently installed some HID Fogs and I wanted to share my experience. With all the manufacturing advances and competition I found it hard to believe that I could not install HID Fogs in my 5 for less than $150.00. Being an adventurous sort, I went looking for a deal.

I ordered a Slim Ballast HID Kit (2x 35W, 9006, 6000k lights) from Khoalty (pronounced Quality) for $60. I also ordered one set of HID Error Cancellors for $15. I probably could've gone more inexpensive on the HID Kit (there are a lot of vendors out there), but I didn't want to go too cheap. The error cancellors are basically resistors in nice fancy packaging. If you are handy you can go cheaper and buy a couple of these right from Radio Shack, but for $5 more you can get everything done up for you and since I'm the lazy type I brought the package.

I installed everything using the attached DIY (which shows how to install everything from the top). It was an excellent help. I can't give credit to the person who put it all together because his name in nowhere in the document! He does reference whose work it is based on though.

The only real gotcha, IMO, is to ensure to line up the positive and negative correctly on the error cancellors (in the picture below the positive is YELLOW). In most cases it will be upside down (German cars reverse positive and negative as related to the way most fog light clips are set up). If you install it the wrong way the fog light my flicker, may not turn on, or may turn on intermittently and, as and added benefit, once the cancellor is installed in the wrong way it is very likely to be no good and will never work properly - so be careful.

Bottom line is this setup cost me $75 and works like a charm.

Like I said in the beginning this is just my experience. Take it for what it's worth...just another internet posting. YMMV

I simply wanted to share.

GL

Now for the pics!
Got mine from Ebay $3.99 plug and play
Old 04-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Contributors

so you paid 60 for the hids 15 and then 5 for a grand total of 80

not too shabby at all

i got my heads uber cheap compared to what others pay but you beat me out by a lot
Old 04-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
so you paid 60 for the hids 15 and then 5 for a grand total of 80

not too shabby at all

i got my heads uber cheap compared to what others pay but you beat me out by a lot
I paid $75. I was just saying you could buy the resistors for $5ea ($10) at RS, but at that price you might at well get the corrector box for $15.

So $60 for the HID Kit + $15 for the pair of error correctors.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Senior Members

I also sell slim HID kits for $80 (regular for $65) including the canbus cancelers (not the fancy ones). If you want to put a face to a name (I travel back and fourth from Norcal and Socal or will ship for free). I will also help with installs if anyone needs it. Includes a good warranty. Lots and lots of HID kits out there for under $150.

Also you don't need to remove the headlights. You can access the fogs if you unscrew the covers under the bumpers and in the wheel wells.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Contributors

If its so inexpensive, why are other vendors here charging upwards of $150+ for a pair?
Old 04-20-2010, 06:23 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Originally Posted by Howitzer
If its so inexpensive, why are other vendors here charging upwards of $150+ for a pair?
Other vendors are charging more because people are willing to pay.

I have been dealing with Khoalty for many years now, I started buying from him since my e46 days. I also have a set of these inexpensive HID kits from him and have been running them for 3 years now with no issues they work fine in +30 celcius and -30 celcius. I also bought all my LED interior bulbs and panels from him as well as oil filters, just to name a few. Khoa gives quality stuff at great prices and is a stand up guy to deal with.

I will point out that ddmtuning sells the same kit for even cheaper
http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...parent=85&pg=1
Old 04-20-2010, 06:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bens1088
Also you don't need to remove the headlights. You can access the fogs if you unscrew the covers under the bumpers and in the wheel wells.
That's true. I removed the headlights (which are only held in by four screws) because I was doing my Angel eye and 6000k headlight upgrade at the same time. Plus, IMO, it gives you more room to work with for mounting the boxes and for making sure you are connecting the cancellors wires right. That's the most important part.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cleung
Other vendors are charging more because people are willing to pay.

I have been dealing with Khoalty for many years now, I started buying from him since my e46 days. I also have a set of these inexpensive HID kits from him and have been running them for 3 years now with no issues they work fine in +30 celcius and -30 celcius. I also bought all my LED interior bulbs and panels from him as well as oil filters, just to name a few. Khoa gives quality stuff at great prices and is a stand up guy to deal with.

I will point out that ddmtuning sells the same kit for even cheaper
http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...parent=85&pg=1
I agree with you. It's all about supply, demand, and education. Some vendors will claim to have special magical internals that will last 10 years or whatever, some will make claims that theirs will last through an artic winter, but for the most part these kits are using the same internals and are even sourced from the same supplier (trust me there aren't 1000 different companies manufacturing HID kits). Of course, like anything else, there will be unscrupulous manufactures that will use cheap ass internals and sell garbage kits for $10 (I think we all know that), but for the most part the difference between a $50, a $100, and a $150 kit is marketing, customer service, and familiarity. Each of us places our own value on those three things to determine what they are worth to us and (by extension) what we will pay for a product.

For me marketing and familiarity are not so important as customer service and value, so I tend to look for those.

Quick Reply: HID Fogs on the cheap